Favorite vegetarian/eggetarian recipe

Options
Akibo23
Akibo23 Posts: 88 Member
Hello,

Eggetarian, F, 5"3, wanting to introduce more proteins into the daily meal plan.

Would love to hear your recipes as to how you include proteins into your vegetarian/eggetarian diet. Share your recipes :D

Cheers

Replies

• redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively new vegetarian (8 months) but I seem to be able to hit my protein goals on a regular basis, sometimes going over. I'm not much of a cook, but I rely on eggs, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, and I'm trying to become familiar with seitan. I don't eat dairy, but dairy is a great way to increase protein as well. I also have vegan protein powder on hand for the days I'm lacking. I don't really have any recipes to give you as I google what I'm looking for and go from there. If you google "vegetarian protein ideas" you'll get some great ideas there, too.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you eat dairy. From eggatarian it seems not. I've been vegetarian before and some of my staple meals are vegetarian. Spaghetti with "meat" sauce. I cook boca crumbles into sausage then add tomatoes and sauce, mexican soup using trader joes soy chorizo. And my favorite lunch. Beans Refried beans with cheese salsa onions and jalapeños.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    redd_87 wrote: »
    I'm a relatively new vegetarian (8 months) but I seem to be able to hit my protein goals on a regular basis, sometimes going over. I'm not much of a cook, but I rely on eggs, tofu, tempeh, quinoa, and I'm trying to become familiar with seitan. I don't eat dairy, but dairy is a great way to increase protein as well. I also have vegan protein powder on hand for the days I'm lacking. I don't really have any recipes to give you as I google what I'm looking for and go from there. If you google "vegetarian protein ideas" you'll get some great ideas there, too.

I have been a vegetarian all my life basically. However, back home we mainly ate a balanced Indian diet with lentils giving the required proteins. After my move to Europe I have been struggling with finding a variety of lentils.

Eggs, quinoa and tofu are my main sources for now indeed :) Thanks for the tips !
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I don't know if you eat dairy. From eggatarian it seems not. I've been vegetarian before and some of my staple meals are vegetarian. Spaghetti with "meat" sauce. I cook boca crumbles into sausage then add tomatoes and sauce, mexican soup using trader joes soy chorizo. And my favorite lunch. Beans Refried beans with cheese salsa onions and jalapeños.

Hello, Yes I do eat diary I am not planning to go vegan any time soon. I love and swear by fresh goats cheese. Regular salad with goats cheese and honey is delicious ! I do not eat meat though and hence the sausage recipe wouldn't work me. Thanks for the ideas :)
  • Akibo23
    Options
    The vegetarian recipe I am obsessed with for the moment is the 'cauliflower pizza'.

Ingredients :
    For the base :
    1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
    1 teaspoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon parsley
    1 egg

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Pulse the coarsely chopped cauliflower florets in a food processor until fine (cauliflower rice). Steam it in a steamer basket (or simply in a big pot of boiling water) and drain well. To drain, strain out the rice and squeeze the water out using a cloth. and then pat it dry using another dry cloth.

Once dry, place it back into the food processor, add in the spices (garlic, parsley) and the egg. Blend well. Once it comes together. Use your hands to ensure ti is thoroughly mixed. Place the mixture onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet in any shape you prefer. Bake 30-40 mins in the oven.

Ingredients for topping:
    2 tablespoons tomato herb paste
    1 boiled egg
    1/2 goat cheese block shredded
    1/2 teaspoon dry oregano

Top the base after it has cooled for 5 mins with the ingredients above. Place it back in the oven for 5-10 mins.

Pizza is served ! :)
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My DH is a vegetarian and we eat vegetarian on most days for dinner, save for fish and/or egg dishes I make at home for myself. Vegetarian food, particularly Indian vegetarian is an awesome and complete cuisine that does not incorporate meat at all and do not try to create 'mock meats' which sort of make you feel like something is 'missing' because meat is so often the 'main' of any meal. Other worthy mentions are Middle-Eastern foods.

That being said, I like my foods well-spiced and flavoursome so I've included some recipes that has good protein in it and not too much oil even if it does include carbs:
    • Shakshouka: A middle-eastern tomato/pepper egg dish which can be had for breakfast or brunch, even dinner.
    • Foul Medammas : A substantial fava bean dip/stew which has many different forms. My favourite one is the Egyptian version with tomatoes added to it for a richer, creamier and nutrient-added punch.
    • Chickpea and tomatoes masala curry : Good with rice and a small bowl of rasam (Indian spicy soup)
      http://www.thasneen.com/cooking/chick-peas-in-roasted-coconut-gravy-or-kadala-curry-kerala-style/ (I omit the potatoes, and add chopped tomatoes after cooking the onions.)
    • Mixed Vegetable Sambhar : A healthy lentil stew soup that is eaten with rice.
      -
    • Good ol' egg sandwich
    • 2-ingredient banana pancakes (just 1 banana, 1 egg, cook like a pancake, top with greek yoghurt, drizzled with honey, and with lots of strawberries or sliced bananas!
    • Cauliflower 'fried' rice with cubes of tofu and any chopped veggie!
      http://minimalistbaker.com/crispy-peanut-tofu-cauliflower-rice-stir-fry/

Shakshouka (4 servings)

There are many versions and I really like the one with bell peppers in it (purists may prefer it without). Good on its own or mopped up with crusty bread, turkish bread or Arabic khobtz (pita bread).

- 2 tbsp olive oil
    -1 large onion, chopped
    - 1 cup thinly sliced red bell peppers
    - 1-2 green chillis/ jalapenos, finely chopped (optional: but adds great taste)
    -2 cloves garlic, minced, or to taste
    -3 tomatoes, chopped or 1 can tomatoes
    - 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    -1 teaspoon paprika
    -Salt to taste
    - Chopped coriander

-Heat the olive oil in a pan, add in the onion, stir fry until slightly brown. Add garlic and chillis, stir fry until fragrant and slightly brown, add bell peppers; cook and stir until the vegetables have softened but al dente.
    Add the tomatoes and fry for 3-4 min. Add cumin, paprika, salt, and chile pepper to the mix. Stir to combine until raw spice smell has gone.
    Simmer, uncovered, until the tomato juices have cooked off, about 10 minutes. Make four holes in the mixture for the eggs. Crack the eggs into the holes. Cover the skillet and let the eggs cook until they're slightly firm but not dry, about 3-4 min. Use a toothpick or fork to swirl the egg whites slightly into the rest of the mixture to slightly incorporate the eggs into the tomato mixture.
    If you want the eggs overeasy and soft, just cover on low heat for 1-2 min. When you take it off the heat the eggs will continue cooking so don't be alarmed.

Top with chopped coriander.

Serve warm with crusty bread, turkish bread or khobtz. Also great on its own.

Foul Medammas (4 servings)

I prefer the stewy version as opposed to the normal starchy versions doused in olive oil. It can be had as a side with breads, together with egg. Served at breakfast with eggs, a salad plate of tomato wedges, cucumber and red pepper batons, and cubes of feta and cheddar. Wash down with tea. It's quite substantial but extremely healthy and protein packed so it takes you through to dinner where you'll literally only have space for a light meal. Perfect for a well-portioned healthy diet where you burn most of the energy in the day.

- 2 tbsp olive oil
    -4 cloves garlic, smashed or finely chopped
    -1 medium onion, chopped
    -1 large tomato, chopped (if canned tomatoes, 1/2 can)
    -1/2 tsp ground cumin
    -1 tsp paprika
    -1 can fava beans or foul medammas , washed and rinsed.
    -1 1/2 tbsp tahini (optional)
    -Juice from one lemon
    - Salt and pepper to taste
    - Drizzle of EVOO
    -Chopped coriander

In a medium non-stick pan, add olive oil and add garlic once hot. Cook till slightly browned. Add onions. Cook till lightly browned. Add tomatoes. Cook for 3-4 min on medium heat. Add cumin and paprika. Cook till soft and somewhat mushy with onions and garlic on low heat, about 5 min.
    Pulse in blender/food processor till half chunky, one or two pulses. OR just use your cooking utensil to mash till coarsely chunky in pan.
    Add fava beans. Stir well with tomato mixture till well incorporated. If mixture is dry, add water in 3-4 tbsp water at a time to 'wet' mixture. It shouldn't be too thick or dry. On low heat, use your cooking utensil to manually mash the mixture until it resembles a half chunky consistency with visible fava beans but not leaving whole ones.

Add tahini, stir well and cook for 1 min. Add lemon juice. Cover and cook for another min or so on low heat. Add water as needed if too dry, stirring gently so that you don't overmash mixture.

Place in a large, shallow bowl. Use a spoon and flatten the mixture, making a small well. Drizzle lightly with EVOO, sprinkle a little more paprika over, and scatter chopped coriander.

Serve with a side platter of tomato wedges, cucumber and red pepper slices, boiled egg wedges, and small cubes of cheddar and feta cheese together with a slice of bread, preferably flat bread or crusty bread.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    @faithyang Thanks for all the great ides. I am Indian and hence yes I do cook a lot of lentils and staple beans that we use in daily cooking. However, my DH is not the biggest fan of beans - thanks to them being responsible for all those wonderful gases :)

Hence on a regular day my meal plan looks like this -
    1. Breakfast - muesli with soy milk / chia seed pudding
    2. Lunch - vegetable salad, pasta pesto/tomato based with lots of veggies + yogurt
    3. Dinner - crepes, lasagna, cauliflower pizza etc.

On a recent trip to Greece I happened to try stuffed paprika (bell peppers) and that happens to be something we cook often now.

The recipe for that is super simple and as follows -
    • Remove the stem of the paprika.
    • Make a filling with cheese tomatoes vegetables(include meat or cooked rice as per your preference)
    • Stuff the paprika with the fillings and place it into a greased baking dish
    • Tomato puree with seasoning can be generously poured on the paprika once placed into the dish
    • Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for an hour.

Mediterranean food happens to be one of my favorites out here. Especially, Lebanese food. Pretty much love everything this have to offer right from the falafels, hummus to the tabbouleh(the yummiest of them all).

Foul Medammas recipe sounds so similar to channa masala recipe(Indian version - chickpeas in a tomato gravy) which can also be replaced by fava beans. Recipe : vegrecipesofindia.com/chana-masala-with-coconut/

Thanks for the share! I shall give the Shakshouka and the two-ingredient pancake a try :)

Cheers
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    @Akibo23 , oh that's great lol maybe we can swap recipes! I do lots of Mid-East / Mediterranean food and i love Indian food but it can be challenging to sift through all the non-authentic recipes out there! I try to stick to blogs like Sailu, Manjula's kitchen, Vah Reh Vah, etc for Indian recipes!

Thanks for the stuffed bell peppers, it sounds amazing! Sounds like it would make for a perfectly portioned, tasty meal! :smiley:

Let me know how the shakshouka turns out!
  • Akibo23
    Options
    @faithyang Sounds great ! Feel free to add me up and ask me for recipes you would like to try out by naming the core ingredients you would like to use :)

Manjula's kitchen is really a good start. I do check out what is happening there quite often and it got me started when I first left home and had to fend for myself :pensive :wink: Vah reh vah is nice too but he tends sometimes to use stuff that are not really required in the recipes or that you could do without and still have a tasty meal !

I shall update with a picture either tonight or lunch tomorrow on how the shakshouka turns out :)
  • Akibo23
    Options
    gd2wnsjicq9i.jpg

Here is a picture of the first attempt at making shakshouka!! Was delicious and stored well for a day :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was going to say Shakshouka but others beat me too it - that stuff is flippin' amazing.

My fav brunch place makes 'hells eggs' - kind of like Shakshouka. Its a ramekin of tomato and belle pepper ragout, 2 eggs dropped into it, topped with cheese, a bit of bbq sauce and tabasco then baked until the cheese browns and the eggs are cooked. Eat with a toasted baguette to dunk.
  • IEatVeg
    IEatVeg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, peanut butter, nuts, quinoa and my favourite food at the moment - chickpea pancakes! I don't eat eggs but I miss omelettes so when Oh She Glows posted a chickpea pancake recipe I got hooked. I also used to make this chickpea dumplings in a spicy tomato sauce that is a bit similar to shakshouka but without the eggs of course.
  • Calboy2015
    Calboy2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Akibo23 wrote: »
    Hello,

Eggetarian, F, 5"3, wanting to introduce more proteins into the daily meal plan.

Would love to hear your recipes as to how you include proteins into your vegetarian/eggetarian diet. Share your recipes :D

Cheers

I used to struggle with my protein intake too. Now I hit or exceed my numbers using Tofu, Greek Yogurt and lots of cheese
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of good recipes on ohsheglows.com
  • Akibo23
    Options
    I was going to say Shakshouka but others beat me too it - that stuff is flippin' amazing.

My fav brunch place makes 'hells eggs' - kind of like Shakshouka. Its a ramekin of tomato and belle pepper ragout, 2 eggs dropped into it, topped with cheese, a bit of bbq sauce and tabasco then baked until the cheese browns and the eggs are cooked. Eat with a toasted baguette to dunk.

Sounds fab = will replace the bbq sauce as I am not a fan of it ! Will give it a try :) Thanks for the share.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    greenfus3 wrote: »
    Almond milk, peanut butter, nuts, quinoa and my favourite food at the moment - chickpea pancakes! I don't eat eggs but I miss omelettes so when Oh She Glows posted a chickpea pancake recipe I got hooked. I also used to make this chickpea dumplings in a spicy tomato sauce that is a bit similar to shakshouka but without the eggs of course.

Chickpeas are great except I still havent mastered how to get them to soak well without the nasty,stinky release of gases while soaking (not a fan of pre-soaked stuff)

I make the Indian chickpea version with tomato gravy and that is heaven ! :)
  • Akibo23
    Options
    Calboy2015 wrote: »
    I used to struggle with my protein intake too. Now I hit or exceed my numbers using Tofu, Greek Yogurt and lots of cheese

Greek yogurt with fresh fruit is a newly added snack\dessert to my food list. Loving it :) Thanks for the great tips. Cheese is addictive to me so have to watch out on that!
  • hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast at the moment (like, every day…) is a small slice of toast with half an avocado, smashed with chilli flakes, salad onion and lemon juice, and topped with a sliced hard-boiled egg. I make the parts the evening before and construct it when I get to work in the morning.
  • Akibo23
    Options
    Lots of good recipes on ohsheglows.com

I am following the website ! Thanks for the recommendation
  • Akibo23
    Options
    hmparkin23 wrote: »
    My favourite breakfast at the moment (like, every day…) is a small slice of toast with half an avocado, smashed with chilli flakes, salad onion and lemon juice, and topped with a sliced hard-boiled egg. I make the parts the evening before and construct it when I get to work in the morning.

Sounds really easy to make and carry :)

I have been addicted to chia pudding over the past few weeks and it keeps me going for a good 6-7hours before i am hungry all over again :D Perfect breakfast-brunch food :)

Here is an image of today's version of chia pudding brunch with one apple-one banana and a homemade raspberry coulis without sugar :
    6iwr19vh3g4j.jpg