Protein pancake [REAL] recipes?

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I'm looking for a way to use protein powder in pancakes, but I hated all the eggs and banana concoctions, and anything made with oats had to go into trash (could not handle the texture).

I'm just looking for guidelines on how to change the ratios of ingredients in a regular pancake recipe to accommodate protein powder while still retaining the fluffiness and pleasant texture of REAL pancakes. White flour doesn't scare me, and I'm not lactose intolerant. Low calorie would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. I have the option of using artificial sweeteners.

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I usually just use a pre-made pancake mix, and add a scoop of my protein powder.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I wish I had the convenience of using a pre-made mix. We don't have them readily available where I live. All of my google searches yielded weird egg concoctions and things with trendy "healthier" flours or oats. I'm not willing to purchase some expensive flour I probably will never use again for a once in a long while craving :confounded:

I found some nice regular recipes with milk or buttermilk, even with sprite! But I'm not really sure how adding a scoop of protein powder would affect the batter without changing something.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I add raw zucchini or steamed pumpkin to my egg white/oat/protein powder pancakes. All whizzed in a food processor or blender . And baking powder added! The texture is nice.... To me anyway!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I swear by these pumpkin spice pancakes. I add 1/4 cup flour for a better texture.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845704988/

Instead of oatmeal, it uses oatmeal flour. The cinnamon and the pumpkin give a great texture and flavour and my family gobbles it up.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might try making it replacing the oat flour with regular flour.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1/4 cup Greek yogurt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 egg

They're really good. I suggest adding fruit though or they can be a bit dry but with berries - yum!! But yes they're not as fluffy but I haven't tried adding baking powder.

Otherwise, honestly Kodiak power cakes mix is good (liked it best just mixed with water), although I prefer savory toppings with them.
  • fferbz
    fferbz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eggs, protein powder, oats and almond milk, mix together until the batter looks like a normal batter mixture (its really easy to judge). Also for another quick and easy low calorie 'pancake' recipe just mash banana with egg and fry it up like a pancake
  • Rachaelh81
    Rachaelh81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you can have normal flour just add your protien powder to a normal pancake recipe and dilute with milk until it looks right. I would estimate 1/4 cup extra milk for every scoop of protien powder. Maybe add a tablespoon of coconut oil or something to be sure it still spreads well.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I just drink protein shakes and eat food

seems easier
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. I've tried modifying my favorite mix (also Kodiak cakes) with protein powder. It just ruins it and leaves me wanting a real pancake. So to get enough protein, I make one pancake with 1/3 c mix, 1/3 c water and add a little cinnamon and a splash of vanilla. Sprinkle with a little cinn/sugar, raspberries and a few squirts of Rediwhip. Amazing! Pretty darn healthy mix too and if you've never tried Kodiak Cakes you can order the mix from them!! Then to get more protein, I scramble 3 egg whites and eat them alongside the cakes.
  • pjangel
    pjangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 1scoop vanilla powder, 1egg and 20mls almond milk - topped with fat free Greek yogurt and strawberries all for 200cals 3bq52ro4n6y2.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I was afraid to ruin my pancakes so I just made regular buttermilk pancakes and drank my protein shake. Ended up with a 500 calorie breakfast but it was so worth it!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I was afraid to ruin my pancakes so I just made regular buttermilk pancakes and drank my protein shake. Ended up with a 500 calorie breakfast but it was so worth it!

+1 now that's what I'm talkin about :mrgreen: