What is the deal with waist training?

Options
I just don't get it. It seems unhealthy to your internal organs. However the outcome (with proper diet and excersize) look great.

Does it actually work?!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Don't even try it.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If it works, the results are only temporary. It's pointless.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It can be very unhealthy. It does smush and move your internal organs. It can work, but at what cost to your health?
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby last month and a good portion of the ladies on BabyCenter were planning on doing it. I looked at it for about three seconds and realized it sounds awful. No thank you.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What is waist training? Thought this was a typo at first.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    It does make your waist smaller, but it makes you a slave to the corset. You will lose muscle mass in your core because the corset will be doing the work for you. You won't necessarily lose fat, you'll just move the placement over time. In general it doesn't work the way you would want it to, and it will take away some of the things you NEED (core strength) to actually live a healthy lifestyle and reduce fat.

On the other hand, if you lose weight, and THEN put on a corset for a special occasion, it can look pretty darn good. I have several Steam Punk style corsets that look fab when I wear them every couple months.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Corsets.

People stopped using them for a reason peeps.

Trying to compress your fat and organs into a singularity is a very very bad idea.

If you mean to ask will it aesthetically improve my body shape .. probably ... yeah ... for a while.

Just bear in mind you aren't actually shedding any fat or getting healthier you are literally squeezing your body into an aesthetically pleasing shape.

This idea ranks just under injecting synthol into your muscles for stoopid.

http://www.doyoueven.com/2015/04/images-48-of-the-worst-and-most-fcked-up-cases-on-synthol-abuse/

If anything waist training will mess withe the proper operation of your diaphragm and core muscles and impede your ability to do real exercise which would actually help. Also screw up your digestion, make relatively minor injuries life threatening and shorten your life expectancy in a way that makes morbid obesity look like the common cold.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I can't get past the name: waist "training"? What are you training it to do? Get smaller? Well, apparently it's a slow learner.

Kind of like wearing braces and calling it "teeth training". At least that is long-term, though.
  • lisacic28
    lisacic28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks its not a good idea. I haven't seen too many convincing stories to prove to me it's worth it! Thanks for all the input. I never thought about doing it myself, but a few of my friends are trying it and I just had to wonder...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I figure it's like when the tops of your socks are too tight, but on a bigger scale.
  • lisacic28
    lisacic28 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I figure it's like when the tops of your socks are too tight, but on a bigger scale.

LOL!!! That's perfect!
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I used it for about three months after I had my baby and loved it. It doesn't have to cut off your circulation to work, snug is great and helped with posture too ... I'd recommend it for after birth to help. I've never used it since or have any idea if it works in normal everyday settings.