Acne break outs!

Options
I've always been lucky not to have bad acne but it seems like the last couple of weeks since I've been eating better, working out and drinking more water I've been breaking out more than normal. Any ideas as to why that might be?

Replies

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I swear the same thing happened to me! was so bad too, I tried proactive and got worse. but I start taking a DIM supplement because I read it can help with that and it did.
  • slperryer
    slperryer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your body is in the 'detox' stage, the toxins you're losing will end up partly being lost through sweat - if they stay on your skin, they could be causing the breakouts. Make sure you're showering straight after a workout and using a really good oil-free face/body wash - the acne should clear up in a few weeks as your body adjusts to the health kick.

Good luck!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    slperryer wrote: »
    If your body is in the 'detox' stage, the toxins you're losing will end up partly being lost through sweat - if they stay on your skin, they could be causing the breakouts. Make sure you're showering straight after a workout and using a really good oil-free face/body wash - the acne should clear up in a few weeks as your body adjusts to the health kick.

Good luck!

The above ^^
    but also-- changes in diet could be the culprit. I had acne until I discovered that it went away when I stopped eating dairy products. Are you eating a lot of yogurt and or cheese?

• BumbleBreeBuzz
    BumbleBreeBuzz Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've recently developed a little lactose intolerance so no i haven't been eating much dairy :(
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Just a random thought - but you're not on any sort of weight loss supplement, are you? Those can cause chaos with the complexion.
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    Options
    I have taken hydroxycut on and off, maybe that's it! Although i haven't taken it in the last week
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You're working out now and sweating, do you clean your makeup off first?
  • BumbleBreeBuzz
    Options
    I usually head to the gym in the morning so my face is clean but sometimes i workout with makeup on. It sounds stupid but i work harder in my workouts when i feel pretty haha
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I swear my skin has been at its worse since starting to work out.

Basically I have to rush home to get in the shower and wash my face to keep the acne at bay. Could be from sweat sitting on your skin.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I usually head to the gym in the morning so my face is clean but sometimes i workout with makeup on. It sounds stupid but i work harder in my workouts when i feel pretty haha

Try at least not putting foundation on. Make sure your moisturizer is not too oily and clogging you up.
  • Niqueski86
    Niqueski86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I discovered that I was allergic to coconut oil, by way of clogged pores, whiteheads, and pimples. I stopped cooking with it and my face is clearing up nicely. You could very well be allergic to a food you've been eating routinely.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went through this for about a month or so when I first started working out on a regular basis. I workout in makeup all the time (foundation included) because I go to the gym after work! I've never really had an issue with it, but if you think that could be the problem, you might want to bring makeup removal wipes with you in your gym bag! You can just take your makeup off in the bathroom, or in your car after you workout - that will also stop the sweat from sitting on your skin after a workout. I think almost everyone goes through this sort of thing when they do a big lifestyle change - keep with it! I'm sure it will return to normal soon :smile:
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Wash your face after working out and then put makeup on. Make sure your hands are clean when you put the makeup on.
  • lindseyyoungg
    lindseyyoungg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. I stopped taking and eating certain things I thought were making it happen and it didn't change anything. My body was detoxing from the horrible foods and sugars I had been putting into my body, and getting the bad stuff out through sweat! Try taking a bath and putting a cup of epsom salt, and a cup of baking soda in the bathtub and let it dissolve then get it. This helps the detox. You can also add a few drops of tea tree oil but the smell is quite strong. I took a bath a couple times a week for 2 weeks and it cleared up. Since then I make sure to have a clean face when exercising, and shower with a good wash immediately after!! Hope this helps!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    but also-- changes in diet could be the culprit. I had acne until I discovered that it went away when I stopped eating dairy products. Are you eating a lot of yogurt and or cheese?
    Or whey protein powder?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I get that from working out. No matter if I shower immediately to wash the sweat off, I still always get more zits when I'm working out.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    slperryer wrote: »

Good luck!

Where is the scientific evidence that your body goes through a "detox" stage when toxins stay on your skin and cause acne?
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have taken hydroxycut on and off, maybe that's it! Although i haven't taken it in the last week

Meh - this post is buried now, but I wanted to reply anyway. Hydroxycut is exactly what did it to me. Worst acne of my life; felt like a plague victim. I google'd Hydroxycut and acne and came up with enough results to prove a probable coorelation and stopped. My acne was gone within a few weeks.

Maybe give it another week and see if it improves? "On and off" will still do it. Whatever's in it that causes the acne seems to stay in the system for a while.
  • blakexx3
    blakexx3 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had awful acne when I started to work out/change my diet. I didn't do anything different - I didn't take medication or buy a special scrub. I just continued my routine and eventually my face did clear up again but it took about 4 months before it went back to normal.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Oh this is so cute! Hmm I think ill try it!