How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Usually every couple of days or so unless I'm very near a goal when I'll jump on daily but only check it in here weekly or when there's a big drop. However, I've set myself the challenge of not weighing through June after the 1st hoping for a good chunk down when I weigh 1st July.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I do not loose everyday but frequently gain and loose throughout a week. I see trends in how my body sheds pounds but overall I average my goal of 2 pounds a week. I am confident if I am precise in measuring my calories in and calories used that I will have a downward trend in my weight so I am not bothered by fluctuations. It is a personal thing do what motivates you best.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Never. Stay off the sad step!
  • abbeyw1990
    abbeyw1990 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Every morning but only keep track of my weight every Monday. I feel by doing it everyday it keeps me in track better if I see it go up I know I need to do better that day.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few different options and I've learned once a week for me is best. Tried daily but if you have a large meal it could show that you gained 2+ pounds or vise versa if you worked out extra hard. I log once a week no matter what every Sunday morning as soon as I get up, consistency is key
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week or once very two weeks (depending on work schedule).

I tryyyy really hard not to weigh myself everyday because the fluctuations really get to me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    every Friday morning before my shower and breakfast.

A lot of people come to mfp forums freaking out because they haven't lost any weight of have only lost a small amount. Then you find out that they weighed themselves 2 days ago or yesterday and today.

Weight fluctuates all the time. So I personally don't see the point of weighing more than once a week.

Unless you are actually looking at the trend over the week and more data points is better.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It depends on your tolerance for "bad news" when you have a fluctuation. The problem is if you weigh very infrequently you have less information to work from if you need to make adjustments.

I prefer more frequent myself, so I weigh daily and keep a running log so I can look at the trend over 1-2 weeks. I'm not bothered by fluctuations, and I've noticed patterns in how my weight drops so I have some idea what to look for when I'm making changes.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    every morning, but i only log the new lows on MFP.

i log my daily weight including fluctuations regardless if the tick up is insane on Libra app for reference.
    the trend estimates are very encouraging. they change on a daily basis as you enter your daily data.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Every day. I get demotivated if I do it less often. Noisy data -- it makes sense to have more datapoints. I use trendweight.org.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Every morning and after workouts. I weigh the same now as I did 6 weeks ago, but I am aware that my weight fluctuated to much higher levels 6 weeks ago than it does now. It is just good information.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Every day, I like to see the effect sodium has and it doesn't make me nuts. If it did, I'd weigh weekly/bi-weekly, whatever worked.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Officially once a week. But I'll hop on the 3-4 time throughout the week to loosely note how I'm doing.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Every single day in the morning, and sometimes in the afternoon/evening even though I know it's going to be 2 - 5 pounds more than my morning weight. I do that just out of curiosity, then am amazed that the next morning, poof! those pounds are gone.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I forgot to weigh myself for the last couple of weeks. ..but today I put on some newly washed jeans and they slipped on like I worn them a week already.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning as part of my morning routine.

I'm not too worried about fluctuations (though it's always nice to see a lower value than the day before). I use trendweight as well, and it gives you a nice graph showing your weight trend, which puts the fluctuations in to perspective, and lets you know that you're still on the right track (assuming you are)
  • kristydicks140
    kristydicks140 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Weighing myself is a big part of my morning routine. But I also take progress pictures.
    When I first starting weight training, I was on a high protein diet and i was getting angry because i was gaining weight... But then I compared my weekly progressed photos and noticed that I was actually getting smaller ! So I suggest everyone to take weekly progress photos ! It's my motivation !!!!!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It is a habit now. I have the fitbit Aria scale and it links to MFP so it is automatically sent to MFP everyday. I manually log the numbers to my Libra app. You are looking for an overall downward trend, the rest is just noise.

I'm good at lying to myself so a daily weigh in helps keep me on track.
  • elyzabethgimarc
    elyzabethgimarc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I never weigh myself.... The only time I ever get on a scale is at the doctors office. I let my body show me if I'm making progress :) not a number on a scale. (Also that number doesn't tell you how much of your weight is actually fat, and it doesn't tell you how fit you are) the scale is not my friend.