Bikes for 500lb man please help!!!

Options
Does anyone have any good ideas on which type of bike I need or rims for a bike to hold the waight ??? Please help

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Do you gave a local bike shop that you can go to? Really they would be of the most help. Good luck in your endeavors, cycling can be very rewarding.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    There are bikes out there, but they're pretty pricey. I'd probably call a local bike shop, as they'd probably have good info.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Aluminium bikes are usually for 120kg - that includes the person on the bike, the bike itself and all luggage. I'dgo to a lical bike shop and see if they can help you with a decent steel bike. Avoid all shock absorbers as they are usually build for around 80kg. If you need shock absorption go for thicker tires.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have seen quad bikes and three wheelers.

Just an idea
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    See if you can find a good ol' steel frame, and I'd look at a CycloCross bike or maybe even a cruiser/hybrid. Something that has smooth tires but wider tires. Also, depending on your price max, you might look at a recumbent. Good luck on your journey! I love cycling, it is a lot of fun and great for your overall fitness. Confession though - when I got my first bike as an adult, I thought I was going to die. It was so much harder than I remember as a kid, once I got the hang of shifting, and finding the gear I needed to be in for terrain, I adapted to it quickly. But don't get discouraged!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Would you be stable and feel comfortable riding? Dont discount walking or exercise in water as a good start.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When Scott Cutshall was over 500 lb., he had a custom bike built for him by Bob Brown in the Twin Cities. A frame builder who does tandem touring frames should be able to make a heavy-duty single frame, since a tandem bike needs to be able to support the weight of two riders plus their gear.

Most off the peg bikes won't be sturdy enough. Even if the frames are OK, the hubs and wheels are likely to be too weak. Tandem wheels would be a good idea, with at least 40 spokes and heavy-duty hubs.

A much cheaper option would be a Worksman cycle. (The link is to one of their models, but they make a few others.) They're made for industrial use with heavy-duty components. They will be heavier than a custom bike but a lot lighter on the wallet. Their recommended maximum weight is 350 lb. for the cruiser bicycle; their M2626 tricycle is rated for 500 lb.
  • kdcancan
    kdcancan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Read the article on bike.com about Scott cut shall who was over 501 and shed over 300 pounds by changing his eating habits and bicycling. In beginning he had to have special frame made and that info is in the article. Very inspiring. It inspired me to ride.