OptiFast=New Doctor?

So when I was diagnosed with a soy allergy I asked my primary care physician (who I really liked previously) to refer me to a dietitian for some assistance.

I was referred to a weight loss solutions office with a dietitian on staff. My doctor has been on me to lose weight for a while, as well she should be, and I understand logically the thought of killing two birds with one stone (losing weight and getting a handle on what I can/can't eat).

But, this weight loss program highly promotes the use of OptiFast and meal replacement which I don't like. For one, all those meal replacement shakes have soy which I cannot have and second, I don't think meal replacement does anything other than teach you to buy meal replacement shakes.

I called and expressed my displeasure with this referral yesterday and my doctor said I should at least go talk to them and that they do have a non-meal replacement option in which I sit down with staff and hammer out a formal plan. The program is covered by my insurance and involves weekly meetings, appointments with nutritionists and personal trainers, and personalized assistance as well as monitored lab testing.

Based on all of this, I'm really upset with my doctor for not giving me the referral I asked for and I'm considering switching doctors. But, a little part of me wants to go and see what this place is all about PLUS, I actually do need some assistance figuring the allergy thing out.

I'm curious what everyone would do if they were in a similar situation. Am I overreacting? TIA!

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2015
    It seems to me you're reasonable, logical and have your head screwed on quite right, judging by your post. So if tis plan is covered and you won't be spending money out of pocket I think you're quite safe to drop by them and shop their experience, then make up your own mind. MFP is also here to help.

I wouldn't change my doctor based on this one thing if you're otherwise happy with them - many people don't know the first thing about weight loss, some doctors included. If this happens again then I would think about it. Or if you find a place you like better through your own research, ask specifically to be referred there.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    yes, I would go and hear them out. You said you called and asked your Dr, and your PCP explained that they offer a program other then the one you are concerned about. It seems a little drastic to want to change your Dr, before you have even sat down to see exactly what the program is.

I agree that if the program does not work for you, for whatever reason, you should look for something else, and PCPs don't always know a lot about nutrition. However, it seems like your PCP has referred you to a place that they think does, and you have not actually gone to find out for sure what they will recommend for you. When I read your whole post it does not seem like your Dr. is as out of line as you perceive.
  • jenpeteparis
    jenpeteparis Posts: 2 Member
    My Optifast HP shakes don't contain soy ingredients; it's whey protein (https://www.optifast.com/Pages/products/optifast-hp-powders.aspx). Other products may contain soy; I'm not sure.

You should definitely search for what works best for you, but don't discount programs until you find out what they're all about. I'm working with a nutritionist, as well, and it involves much more than just replacing meals with shakes and soups. I have three shakes per day and one meal (salmon, turkey or chicken + vegetables, usually), and it's working beautifully. I have finally broken a lifelong addiction to bread and pasta. I have no desire for it whatsoever. But it took going cold turkey, so to speak, in order for me to get away from those cravings.

I'm down 28 pounds so far; I'm also lifting weights and rowing twice a week. This is all part of the Optifast program, if you do it "right" (meaning changing habits, not just mindless meal replacement). It's been a life-saver for me. Good luck to you!
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    You sound like you are in a good place to advocate for yourself. Find out what it is about and make a good decision for yourself.

(BTW, I wouldn't do optifast either)