What exercises do you suggest for someone with knee problems (i.e. low-no impact)?

Options
So my first exercise video back into this and I wake up this morning with my knee so inflamed I cannot walk. I'm still currently in pain, but doin a little better than a hobble. Any suggestions on low impact exercises??

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Walking works for me. But I make sure that I have proper footwear to deal with the over-pronation that messes with my knees and hips. As I got more fit, I was able to add things like squats and lunges. With these, too, I need orthotics in my shoes. I have been experimenting with jogging for interval work - it was a miracle to find that if I land mid-foot and not heel I don't have any increase in knee pain, where if I land heel first I can tell within a couple of minutes that it will be a no-go.
  • Xandersmommy
    Xandersmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the best option! Non impact and nice calorie burn as a bonus if you are treading or lap swimming!
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to a sports medicine dr? I was having some knee pain and went to one that gave me some exercises to do to build up my thigh muscles and that would help with knee stress. Hope you find what works for you!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Get a diagnosis first - take it from there.
    Knees are very complex joints and you don't want to turn an acute episode into a chronic condition.
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would try a few elliptical machines to see which one fits you best -- I was running on a treadmill for a while then my knee started acting up, so I switched to elliptical and I've been doing better for the last couple weeks. Sometimes my hip acts up, but I try to switch it up with the bike.
  • Gwhitmarsh
    Gwhitmarsh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So my first exercise video back into this and I wake up this morning with my knee so inflamed I cannot walk. I'm still currently in pain, but doin a little better than a hobble. Any suggestions on low impact exercises??

Hi get yourself to the swimming pool and if you still find it hard to swim then walk the shallow end or water arobics.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    the stationary bike is good if you have knee issues.

I also have a current knee issue so all I can do is the bike and body weight exercises. A lot of my issues with my knee are caused by tight quad and very weak glutes so I do a lot of foam rolling and glute strengthening exercises.

But I would get it checked by a physio to see what is causing it just to be safe
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Always a nice idea to see a doc. I'm with ^, my knee problems are all about tight muscles. I stretch my glutes / psoas and foam roll like crazy - it helped a lot.

Aside from that, rowing is a great workout without too much tension on the knees.
  • allison_moushey
    allison_moushey Posts: 36 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had ACL Reconstruction surgery and it didn't heal very well. The therapy was awful. I've been wondering the same thing because I see squats and stairs and running everywhere.
    I'll have to try something swim - involved. I do use a spin bike and that has been pretty good
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Stay off it while you have acute pain and definitely get a diagnosis. The thing is actually inflamed, you say, that is a sign to not do more to it.

Then do rehab if you have to.

For later, check these out, just found this great article:
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/9-training-strategies-for-knee-pain
  • druorleans
    druorleans Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have patellar tendonitis in both my knees from injuries from ballet and jazz dance (a very long time ago). I don't know what your specific injury is, but I do these exercises to help build the muscles around my knees while working out and I ice them immediately after working out if I feel pain and before going to bed. I don't run at all, elliptical, walking, etc. I also do stretches for tight hamstrings before and after working out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFbySD52Iu4&index=1&list=WL
  • Xandersmommy
    Xandersmommy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions!! Thank you all! (and for those who asked) I have had issues with my knees since I was a young teen. my Knee caps are not positioned right (sit toward the out side by so many degrees) and because of all the dislocations I have indured, the tendons no longer can hold the knee cap in place. This is part of the reason for the weight loss (don't want the problem to get worse).
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    In that case, I think you should definitely look into working with a PT. A PT can work with you to develop strength and programming that will work for you. If fitness is something you want to keep after, I think this step is crucial in preventing further injury.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions!! Thank you all! (and for those who asked) I have had issues with my knees since I was a young teen. my Knee caps are not positioned right (sit toward the out side by so many degrees) and because of all the dislocations I have indured, the tendons no longer can hold the knee cap in place. This is part of the reason for the weight loss (don't want the problem to get worse).

You need to talk to a physician familiar with your condition about what would be safe. No one here is really going to know what is best for you.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Please go get this looked at by a Dr or Physiotherapist. I had knee inflammation (caused by working out on the elliptical) that quickly got infected and became cellulitus throughout my leg. Very scary and was in the hospital for weeks. I've now been advised from PT to avoid elliptical and inclines on a treadmill. Focus instead on swimming, cycling and strengthening the quad muscles.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    Please go get this looked at by a Dr or Physiotherapist. I had knee inflammation (caused by working out on the elliptical) that quickly got infected and became cellulitus throughout my leg. Very scary and was in the hospital for weeks. I've now been advised from PT to avoid elliptical and inclines on a treadmill. Focus instead on swimming, cycling and strengthening the quad muscles.

Agree. But curious about how cellulitis developed - I've never heard of that.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Not doubting at all - just wondering. We hear a lot about syndromes and little about infections with knee and other joint pain
  • TortoiseandtheHair
    TortoiseandtheHair Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had ACL Reconstruction surgery and it didn't heal very well. The therapy was awful. I've been wondering the same thing because I see squats and stairs and running everywhere.
    I'll have to try something swim - involved. I do use a spin bike and that has been pretty good

I have a very similar story x3. elipticals are no good. Running is out of the question. even swimming and light walking hurts to the point where I can no longer move. The ONLY cardio that I can do and actually do faithfully is biking/spinning/cycling. I love it. It's a great cardio workout and strengthens my legs so my knee joints dont just generally hurt as much. But I agree with other posters. Get a diagnosis before you commit to ANYTHING! it's vitally important!!