Gym activity overwrites daily steps??

Options
Clarewho
Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
My activity level is sedentary so mfp logs the steps I've made and adds a calorie allowance. If I go to the gym I enter the activity I've done and it gives me calories for that too. But a couple of times I've noticed the gym activity 'wipes out' my daily steps so I only get a credit for gym work. This is even where earlier in the day it's shown a calorie credit.

Is this just a glitch or is there a reason why it does this? Thank you!

Replies

• MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am guessing that you are using a fitbit? If so which one do you have?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    My activity level is sedentary so mfp logs the steps I've made and adds a calorie allowance. If I go to the gym I enter the activity I've done and it gives me calories for that too. But a couple of times I've noticed the gym activity 'wipes out' my daily steps so I only get a credit for gym work. This is even where earlier in the day it's shown a calorie credit.

Is this just a glitch or is there a reason why it does this? Thank you!

Click on your adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

If you're using a Fitbit, you can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem I'm using an iPhone 6..I don't know why it does this but wld love to find out if anyone can help
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Hi sorry should have said not using anything but my iPhone 5s. Thanks.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Here are screen shots showing yesterday's activity plus the adjustments MFP made. I still don't get it but I guess it must be something to do with the fact that the burn is projected??

f0k6yeo41cah.jpg

lpeja8ovqurw.jpg
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's saying that your phone doesn't think that you burned as many calories as MFP does, so there isn't an adjustment to your calories for the iphone count that day. I don't link anything so I'm not sure how it works exactly, but does the adjustment show up at the beginning of the day and change throughout the day? If so, then that's why it's "wiped out" by the end of the day.

Do you have the iphone on you while you're working out? That might help a little bit...
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, the steps are activity, not workouts. If you do more activity/workout, it cancels out the movement. I track using the motion detector on my iPhone, which gets synced to MFP and I log my workouts from my HRM. If I log a workout, my steps get reduced. If you're doing at least 10,000 steps a day, you'll still see a few calories logged from it.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    No I don't have my phone in the gym. I think I understand now - because I don't have it with me it assumes they are the same activity? Still doesn't explain why it only happens some of the time?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Still doesn't explain why it only happens some of the time?

Your MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. But your phone is telling MFP that you're burning fewer calories than your activity level. You're getting a zero adjustment because you've disabled negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem OP. I can do 10000 steps and 'gain' 250 calories. If I then go to the gym and log my workout the calories that I had gained from my steps gets cancelled out (I have fitbit in my phone). Very frustrating!!
  • Clarewho
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you. I will keep an eye on mine. I now understand why it's tied in with negative adjustments. I don't think it works well as no one has their phone on their person 24 hrs a day. But until I get a separate tracker I will just put up with it! Never mind i don't eat them all back anyway