eating ones feeling....just being honest

Options
:) yes I'll be the first to admit I do it. I know I'm not the only one and I refuse to live in shame. Reached a point of my life where I'm facing my relationship with food and knowing it can be healthy. Here we go!

Replies

• Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to break a habit is to replace it with another. Used to drink when I was stressed, now I hit the weights instead. I would say the new habit is a better way to deal with the problems :). Good luck OP!
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When I started using My Fitness Pal I had the goal to not only lose weight but to also establish a healthier relationship with food. So many times I would eat my feelings and this was a big factor in my weight gain as well as just consuming too many calories per day.
    The great thing about tracking my food is I'm starting to feel less guilt about eating certain things. I'm allowed to eat cake, as long as I track it. This sort of makes me feel like I have power over what I eat now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I eat my anger, which involves chowing down on something. Yeah, I've picked other things to do other than eat.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Haha I just take naps when I'm feeling down or upset about something. At least I'm not eating!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You know I see food as a tool now. I used to see it as a reward. I did good! Have a cake or pie!

Now I see it as a building block to my new body

It has taken a year and a half

I'm a slow learner

• RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Brolympus . If i am feeling stressed or sad or upset, I work out. Even if it is a 30 min fast paced walk. It always takes my mind off of things! :) Good luck!
  • RebeccaD22
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist Good for you! I feel the same way. It took a reallllly long time to realize that food is meant as energy. When you think about it that way, there is no need to go out everyday to eat a hamburger or whatever. Eat healthy, good energy for your body!

@kpantoja311 Eat to live, don't live to eat!
  • samantha0131
    samantha0131 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to keep telling myself food is NOT a big deal. It is just something to fuel my body.. Right now anyways..this sounds stupid also.... Because I don't know how to phrase it but I go into like a robot mode where I try to take emotions away from eating and just prepare a good healthy meal and eat, after I'm eating I feel better... One because I'm not hungry and two I ate good... But the temptations are still there!!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    @RebeccaD22

I heard something awesome on here today that I need to put on my refrigerator

CICO is not a blank check. I need to make wise nutritional choices I can live with long term!

Funny thing is it was from someone on a different nutritional plan but we had the common ground of going for nutrient dense calories instead of more glucose based ones for quick energy.

If I was a runner.... Heck yeah! I would slam that granola down and Gatorade.

I just don't live the lifestyle to need that.

I don't have those energy needs

But I do love the taste of granola. So a quest bar is my compromise for my energy needs

Like you said, I eat to support my life.

The honey bun Quest is a dang good Saturday morning before leg day workout munchie.

It is a funny reward of sorts

:)
  • RebeccaD22
    Options
    @professionalHobbyist what is CICO?
  • LeftCoastBeachGirl
    LeftCoastBeachGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to think, nahhhh, I don't eat my feelings. Then I realized, hell yeah I do. I used to eat when I was bored. Or avoiding something. Or procrastinating. Or didn't know what else to do. And that seemed crazy to me. Now i recognize that feeling and am able to do a quick check (are you REALLY hunger or avoiding something?) and that helps a LOT.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    RebeccaD22 wrote: »
    @professionalHobbyist what is CICO?
    calories in calories out