Rebelling against exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty big on fitness for the sake of fitness and doing what you enjoy. Once you understand fitness for the sake of fitness and diet for weight control, it opens up a whole other world. I've never understood why people torture themselves.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I hate strength training, so I hear you. And I'm pretty sure at this point that it's every kind - I've tried at-home, at the gym, classes, bodyweight, heavy weights, alone, with a buddy, with my husband, with a trainer, and I always end up dreading it and putting it off and eventually not doing it at all. I'm just lazy at heart, obviously, because doing any of it is such a struggle for me.

I can force myself to run 5K a couple times a week, but treadmill only so I can zone out with an ebook or TV and distract myself. Running outside where I have to be alone with my thoughts is pretty much torture, haha.

But whatever. I lost more than 25 pounds that way and I've kept it off successfully for a couple years, so it obviously works for me anyway. Pretty well all I do daily is walk to work (about 1/2 hour each way.) I ski on the weekends in the winter too. And that's it, and I don't care. I'm a lot happier and find it easier to eat well when I'm not putting myself through workouts I hate and coming home irritated and wanting to soothe my annoyance with chocolate.

Loved reading this! Congrats on your weightloss. Can I ask what your calorie goal was during weightloss mode? I know everyone differs, just curious. I'm 5'3", desk job. So, my TDEE is low...

We're probably pretty similar, then. I'm 5'4" and I also have a desk job, so only days where my only exercise is that hour of walking to and from work, my TDEE is only around 1600 calories. To lose a pound per week, which is what I mostly did, I cut to 1100 - 1200 calories/day and ran a couple times per week to burn a little extra (but at my size, a 5K run only burns a couple hundred calories so it's not a huge help.) I had to weigh and measure all my food absolutely meticulously because my deficit was still not huge.

I ate a lot of 6oz steaks and oily fish like salmon to get a reasonable amount of fat, and tons of vegetables, and I mostly avoided grain and dairy (not because of any low-carb or paleo philosophy but just because grains used up too much of my calorie allowance without making me feel full, and I was looking for more vitamins and minerals as well as trying to get plenty of protein and enough fat...and I don't like most dairy enough enough to make it a fat source.)

It's obviously not for everyone but I found that I wasn't hungry and I had lots of energy as long as I didn't waste 400 calories a day on Starbucks or dessert or booze or whatever. 1200 calories doesn't leave a lot of room for treats or stuff, so a lot of people here seem to do better losing weight a little more slowly and allowing themselves a couple hundred extra calories a day, but I was able to be really strict for a few months to get the results I wanted instead of dieting for a whole year.

I'm going into so much detail because people on 1200 calorie diets get eviscerated here, but honestly it was a lot easier for me for eat like that for a short time and just be done with it. Eating more and losing slower is totally valid as well, and so is eating more and working out, but because I wasn't willing to do that...
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I hate strength training, so I hear you. And I'm pretty sure at this point that it's every kind - I've tried at-home, at the gym, classes, bodyweight, heavy weights, alone, with a buddy, with my husband, with a trainer, and I always end up dreading it and putting it off and eventually not doing it at all. I'm just lazy at heart, obviously, because doing any of it is such a struggle for me.

I can force myself to run 5K a couple times a week, but treadmill only so I can zone out with an ebook or TV and distract myself. Running outside where I have to be alone with my thoughts is pretty much torture, haha.

But whatever. I lost more than 25 pounds that way and I've kept it off successfully for a couple years, so it obviously works for me anyway. Pretty well all I do daily is walk to work (about 1/2 hour each way.) I ski on the weekends in the winter too. And that's it, and I don't care. I'm a lot happier and find it easier to eat well when I'm not putting myself through workouts I hate and coming home irritated and wanting to soothe my annoyance with chocolate.

Loved reading this! Congrats on your weightloss. Can I ask what your calorie goal was during weightloss mode? I know everyone differs, just curious. I'm 5'3", desk job. So, my TDEE is low...

We're probably pretty similar, then. I'm 5'4" and I also have a desk job, so only days where my only exercise is that hour of walking to and from work, my TDEE is only around 1600 calories. To lose a pound per week, which is what I mostly did, I cut to 1100 - 1200 calories/day and ran a couple times per week to burn a little extra (but at my size, a 5K run only burns a couple hundred calories so it's not a huge help.) I had to weigh and measure all my food absolutely meticulously because my deficit was still not huge.

I ate a lot of 6oz steaks and oily fish like salmon to get a reasonable amount of fat, and tons of vegetables, and I mostly avoided grain and dairy (not because of any low-carb or paleo philosophy but just because grains used up too much of my calorie allowance without making me feel full, and I was looking for more vitamins and minerals as well as trying to get plenty of protein and enough fat...and I don't like most dairy enough enough to make it a fat source.)

It's obviously not for everyone but I found that I wasn't hungry and I had lots of energy as long as I didn't waste 400 calories a day on Starbucks or dessert or booze or whatever. 1200 calories doesn't leave a lot of room for treats or stuff, so a lot of people here seem to do better losing weight a little more slowly and allowing themselves a couple hundred extra calories a day, but I was able to be really strict for a few months to get the results I wanted instead of dieting for a whole year.

I'm going into so much detail because people on 1200 calorie diets get eviscerated here, but honestly it was a lot easier for me for eat like that for a short time and just be done with it. Eating more and losing slower is totally valid as well, and so is eating more and working out, but because I wasn't willing to do that...

Thanks for all the detail, I appreciate it. I agree, my deficit is so tight, there's really no room for error :/ I stopped eating back my exercise calories and started losing. I'm only guessing this is b/c my calorie counting wasn't spot on. And youre' right, burning 100-200 calories a day exercising doesn't give that much leeway anyway!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the detail, I appreciate it. I agree, my deficit is so tight, there's really no room for error :/ I stopped eating back my exercise calories and started losing. I'm only guessing this is b/c my calorie counting wasn't spot on. And youre' right, burning 100-200 calories a day exercising doesn't give that much leeway anyway!

Something tells me when you get older your views of exercising will change again.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

This is how I feel about my cardio. I'm never ever going to do more than an hour a week. Maybe not even more than 40 minutes. It's not going to change my TDEE very much.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I think you're opposite of me lol. Either I lift heavy and often, or I don't get good results. It's worth it to me so that I can have muscle definition and be strong enough to do things that formerly I had to get husband to do. I use trance music to make the time I spend in the gym pleasant. :D Put on a good club or rave beat and everything seems much more awesome.
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Something tells me when you get older your views of exercising will change again.

Agreed Yopeeps! I lost 40 lbs over about a year in my early 30's doing exactly what the OP is doing - calorie deficit and walking - maybe a mile to a mile and a half a (work)day at lunch and that's about it. Got down to my high school weight! I even kept most of it off for quite some time, but eventually gained it back (and then some, sadly).

Now it's 11 years later and I've found that the calorie deficit with walking just wasn't working for me anymore! I was losing (slowly) at first, but kept plateauing until I really bit the bullet and started with almost daily exercise. I actually dreaded 'working out' at first too (I never exercised before, other than the walking 11 years ago), but oddly, the more I've done it - the more I'm liking it. Not that I enjoy it while I'm doing it - lol!, but I'm liking the results and I feel much better. I'm definitely fitter and I enjoy seeing what I can do next... I'm truly a beginner though, so I guess it might be easier for me to get excited over small improvements. When I started, I couldn't even do 1 'girly' pushup! Now I can do about 20 in a minute - and I can actually do real pushups as well - though I still find them difficult. So I'm encouraged by the improvement and want to keep going. I'd love to get to where some of you are! (My gawd ArditaRose!) Once I hit maintenance, my goals are gonna switch from weight loss to fitness ones for sure.

But Hey - KB - you're young now and you can get away with it, so I say more power to ya! It's definitely what I did until I had no other choice. ;)

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    kristinels wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Agreed Yopeeps! I lost 40 lbs over about a year in my early 30's doing exactly what the OP is doing - calorie deficit and walking - maybe a mile to a mile and a half a (work)day at lunch and that's about it. Got down to my high school weight! I even kept most of it off for quite some time, but eventually gained it back (and then some, sadly).

Now it's 11 years later and I've found that the calorie deficit with walking just wasn't working for me anymore! I was losing (slowly) at first, but kept plateauing until I really bit the bullet and started with almost daily exercise. I actually dreaded 'working out' at first too (I never exercised before, other than the walking 11 years ago), but oddly, the more I've done it - the more I'm liking it. Not that I enjoy it while I'm doing it - lol!, but I'm liking the results and I feel much better. I'm definitely fitter and I enjoy seeing what I can do next... I'm truly a beginner though, so I guess it might be easier for me to get excited over small improvements. When I started, I couldn't even do 1 'girly' pushup! Now I can do about 20 in a minute - and I can actually do real pushups as well - though I still find them difficult. So I'm encouraged by the improvement and want to keep going. I'd love to get to where some of you are! (My gawd ArditaRose!) Once I hit maintenance, my goals are gonna switch from weight loss to fitness ones for sure.

But Hey - KB - you're young now and you can get away with it, so I say more power to ya! It's definitely what I did until I had no other choice. ;)

Thanks so much for your insight!

• juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Wait....wait....time out.
    Some of you folks forget that there are newbies here.
    What is a CICO and can I eat it?
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Wait....calories in calories out, right?
    Whew.
    Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that, OP. The more exercise-y an exercise is, the more I hate it. Anything in a gym? NO. Walking home from work? I don't mind that. Biking? Haven't done it recently but I loved it as a kid so I should really pull out the ol' bicycle.

I guess I mostly like exercise if I'm physically travelling somewhere.

I want to get toned, which means strength training, but that's my number one "Do Not Want" so . . . yeah . . . I've been putting it off. :(
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options

Wait....calories in calories out, right?
    Whew.
    Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program

This made me laugh!!! You got it right!!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, it's working! That's the most important opinion.

Me, my revelation is the best exercise is doing whatever I love. You will only find me on the treadmill if it is a run day and it's -30C or hailing outside. And I'll NEVER attend a SPIN class. I've found activities that I love to do, so it's sustainable and un-hated.

Yes, finding activities that are enjoyable I think are key, too... It's just hard when every other article you see is "burn belly fat by HIIT" or "Only lift heavy for results" or whatever workout is trendy at the moment. It gets me confused and makes me question whether walking or whatever activity I choose is enough! So annoying...

Walking (Powerwalking) is mostly what i do, with the occasional Kettlebell or Elliptical workout.
    I love Walking and it's helped me lose weight and stay fit & healthy!
    I'm similar height to you (5ft 4), been maintaining now for 3 weeks and still losing around 1 pound a week (walking 50 mins 4x a week,Elliptical/some Kettlebells 2x a week - TDEE 1850).
    I wouldn't give up exercising.....just pick something you'll stick with.
    Zumba or dance classes are fun or maybe take up a Martial Art (which i've been meaning to do for years ;) ).