Eating Plan Idea.

Options
I have been stuck in a rut and not getting where I want. Yeah, it's my fault and that is why I am trying to get some input. I know what has worked for me before and I am trying to get back into it. I am needing to know what is a realistic guideline for a meal plan.

For instance:

Breakfast: protein, fruit, dairy, and a starch.
Snack: fruit, dairy
Lunch: protein, veggie, starch
Snack: fruit, nuts
Dinner: protein, veggies

Is that outline close to be successful for weight loss? Portion sizes are noted.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If your overall calories keep you in a deficit and you are hitting all your micronutrients, it doesn't matter what you eat when or if you always eat certain items at prescribed meals. I've already eaten chicken, broccoli, grapefruit, string cheese, a boiled egg, and some granola today. I think I'm going out for frozen yogurt for dinner. I can fit it in my calories and since it's 104˚ here, I'm in the mood. I would burn out pretty quickly with the boredom of eating the same way every day.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm not viewing it as becoming burnt out on the same food everyday. I am trying to get back into the habit of eating right. My issues are not eating and then pigging out on starchy foods.
    If your overall calories keep you in a deficit and you are hitting all your micronutrients, it doesn't matter what you eat when or if you always eat certain items at prescribed meals. I've already eaten chicken, broccoli, grapefruit, string cheese, a boiled egg, and some granola today. I think I'm going out for frozen yogurt for dinner. I can fit it in my calories and since it's 104˚ here, I'm in the mood. I would burn out pretty quickly with the boredom of eating the same way every day.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Oh, then the solution is to only have food in your home that you want to make part of your food plan. I love starchy food. . . and there isn't very much of that in my house. One thing that helped me a lot was to prep food ahead of time. That way when I'm standing in front of the refrigerator because I am suddenly hungry, I can easily get a choice I'm going to be happy with later. Right now I have a container of cut up watermelon, another of cantaloupe, some boiled eggs, string cheese, cut up rotisserie chicken. I also batch cook, so the freezer has single serve containers of a bunch of different meals. The easier it is for you, the more likely you are to improve your nutrition.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options
    I get it. That's not the struggle. I appreciate your input though. Food prepping is a good idea, but that still puts me back to where I started.
    Oh, then the solution is to only have food in your home that you want to make part of your food plan. I love starchy food. . . and there isn't very much of that in my house. One thing that helped me a lot was to prep food ahead of time. That way when I'm standing in front of the refrigerator because I am suddenly hungry, I can easily get a choice I'm going to be happy with later. Right now I have a container of cut up watermelon, another of cantaloupe, some boiled eggs, string cheese, cut up rotisserie chicken. I also batch cook, so the freezer has single serve containers of a bunch of different meals. The easier it is for you, the more likely you are to improve your nutrition.

• svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If what you outlined above worked for you in the past, then try it again! :) Balance is key and your combinations of protein, veg, starch can also depend on what kind of exercise you are doing and need to fuel for. Generally speaking, the plan you noted is not a bad one. Watch the measurements on the nuts if you are having them daily - some nuts are really good for you/have great benefits and will count toward your fat intake for the day - they are just easy to over do on. Depending on the fruits you choose, just monitor your over all sugar intake to keep it within your range. Otherwise, it's a good starting point to get back on track! You'll see, as you create meals, if it stays within your allowances for the day - then you can just tweak where needed.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Options
    Thank you! I am trying to make a grocery list now. I have been trying to think of a variety of items to have on hand. I have snack portioned bags, so that will help out as well. It will just take time and determination on my end.
    svirds wrote: »
    If what you outlined above worked for you in the past, then try it again! :) Balance is key and your combinations of protein, veg, starch can also depend on what kind of exercise you are doing and need to fuel for. Generally speaking, the plan you noted is not a bad one. Watch the measurements on the nuts if you are having them daily - some nuts are really good for you/have great benefits and will count toward your fat intake for the day - they are just easy to over do on. Depending on the fruits you choose, just monitor your over all sugar intake to keep it within your range. Otherwise, it's a good starting point to get back on track! You'll see, as you create meals, if it stays within your allowances for the day - then you can just tweak where needed.