What made you want to lose weight

Options
what triggered you to loose weight ?

What made me say no more was seeing my self in videos taken from my friends actually seeing what other people see & realizing how in denial I was about how I looked the scal said something but I didn't believe it until I saw the video of my fiancé proposing to me all I can think about was how fat I look but am determined to look and feel amazing feel free to add me

Replies

• dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Turning 50 at my heaviest weight I had ever been . And even then doing nothing about it in real terms, The real shocker came when I had to admit that I had to either buy new clothes in a bigger size or DO SOMETHING!!!

You are lucky - you are young and it much easier when you are young, believe you me, and much much harder as you get older.....So keep up the good work, and congratulations on your engagement, btw.

I am trying to ensure my 51st is a lighter one all round!
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I did see a diabetic friend refuse to quit drinking and lose weight, slowly die.

He lost both legs, one arm above the elbow and most of the other hand.

He also helped me to see I needed to quit partying like I did.

But I just wanted to be the me I used to be. I'm a military vet and used to be in stupid good shape. Obstacle course once a week.

It is coming back as it can for many years having passed.

It means more now. I don't take it for granted.

I'm happy for you that you are doing this young. You have a long road ahead. It is so much better to walk it healthy.
  • crystalswhitt
    crystalswhitt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Being too unhealthy to play in the yard with my four children.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started having back pain when just walking down the block - the thought of not even being able to walk around without being in pain is what finally spurred me to make a change...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Vanity. Wanting to look good naked after having my son. No other reason, really. All the health, fitness, and energy benefits than came with losing the weight was just icing on the cake. ;)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    For vanity: to fit back into my smaller sized clothes.
    For reality: all three of my brothers now have diabetes and I'd like to avoid joining them as long as possible.
    For my family: I really want to see my grandkids grow up, and to encourage them along the way.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I got fat.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I just want to move thru this world easier. To do things easier, dance longer, play tennis longer, swim laps longer. I don't really care about smaller sized clothes, or my self image. Those are just results that happen when I put myself first. Stressing out about it, or looking at clothes I can't fit into seems like cruel and harsh punishment for my self esteem.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been large most of my life, even when I lost weight when I was a teenager I still saw and felt fat. I have children and they need me to be around and I need to be around for them. I want to be stronger, happier and healthier, I am not getting any younger and heart decease, cancer and diabetes run in my family. I had gestational diabetes with my son and was told that I have a 40% higher change of getting diabetes and I don't want that.
  • NoelleRondini
    NoelleRondini Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At 5'1'' and 188lbs, I went to the doctor and on the paper it said I was listed as "obese". And in 2010 I went from 170lbs to 115 in 8 months. Eating healthy and exercising all the time.. I know it's possible.. I use the excuse "I had a baby" too much :(
  • Annr
    Options
    If its important to you, you'll find a way. If its not, you'll find an excuse.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Things got rocky with my then wife. Ended up having her ignore me to hang out with a roommate. So then I started being stuck at home and feeling alone once the kids were asleep. At work we had a lot I'd people practicing pull ups. So I took the free time and started working out, hoping to work up towards pull ups.
    Started with body weight stuff, then got some dumbbells. Separated from wife, still alone, bought a barbell weight set and Smith machine. Got really depressed to not caring about myself, GNC shakes became a staple.
    Divorced. Had weight loss setbacks and lifting setbacks. Decided in December I had to get back to both lifting and losing weight.
    Still alone after the kids are asleep; still can't do a pull up. Still working on it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I never had much of a belly, even at higher weights. One day I looked down and it was big and round, and kind of hard. Between that and cellulite creeping toward my knees-I had enough.
  • valeriagutierrezvg700
    valeriagutierrezvg700 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's stories you guys really inspire me to keep going and stay determined
  • Jimsterintexas
    Jimsterintexas Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    was in the military for 30 years and adhered to strict weight and fitness standards. I retired in 2011 and put on 45 pounds and continuing to get bigger. My current employer did a weight loss competition through a website called Healthy Wage, so I joined a team and over the last 4 months, I've lost 33 pounds. Mostly through Nutrisystem. I am much happier now. Jim.
  • Islandgirl52
    Islandgirl52 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Muffin top, back fat.
    Those things making a lot of my clothes I Have not look so great...
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I saw a photo of myself in a dress I thouhht I looked good in. Huge upset. Also I dont want to me like my mom ised to be.
  • TSPZ
    TSPZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My passport photo hahaha
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Il get a life time ban to say why i want to lose weight
  • Annr
    Options
    @TSPZ passport photos are NEVER pretty... lol
    @joinersintexas great job in your journey. I was in Jenny Craig for awhile in 2009-10 and while it did work, it was too expensive for my family.