Insulin resistant

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. The limiting fats sounds so wrong. They are good. Limiting carbs is where it's at is more like it. Eat the whole egg if you like eggs.

I'm going to call in @Nony_Mouse, she had insulin resistance. (She's lost enough weight that it's not longer an issue for her). She might have some suggestions for you.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Oops, late to my summoning!!

Agree with everyone else that that doesn't sound like a lot of food, but quite a few carbs for insulin resistance, and I also don't understand the avoiding fat thing. For one, it's necessary for a whole host of things (vitamin absorption and hormone balance to start with), and for another it helps with feeling full longer.

My insulin resistance was PCOS-related, and only affects me when I'm at a higher weight (kicks in around high end of my healthy BMI range I think). I limited my carbs to around 100g a day, and that worked for me. Some people need to go lower, some can eat more than that. As others have said, pairing your carbs with protein and fats is important too.

I'm seconding the recommendation to see an endocrinologist if you can.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    You really should be contacting your doctor to run stuff like that by them.

I agree with this 100%.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I have IR due to PCOS and while I am not on metformin I am also not restricted in my diet. I see an endocrinologist and she was more than happy to see where I went with my weight loss with just watching my caloric intake. Being so restrictive seems obscene, and not being permitted to eat fats seems like someone is yanking a diet plan from their bums.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I have IR not due to something else and after a bout with metformin (lord I hate that thing) I've now gotten it under control thru diet and exercise. Funny enough tho I haven't really lost much weight just upped my activity level and cut out some excess refined sugar by removing sugared sodas.
  • tinahagar498
    tinahagar498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lbs in the first week but it was just the weight that I gained the week before. I'm now back to the same weight that I have been for over a year and can't lose no matter what I do. The doctor told me to follow this diet plan. Today I've vomited and felt really weak all day. I am going to go back to eating whole eggs and avocado and maybe some nuts to snack on because I need something to keep me going and this restricted food is killing me. I don't believe the metformin is working for me because I'm feeling dizzy again and I'm sure my insulin levels are just as high as when I went in. Most likely because of the carbs. I'm gonna try to get them down to 100g and under per day now and go back to eating good fats.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    I have been diagnosed with insulin resistance and am now taking metformin. I have a very strict diet of 3 slices of brown bread per day, 1 yogurt, low carb vegetables, 2x potatoes the size of eggs or ½ a cup of rice or pasta and chicken, turkey and fish. I can have ½ an apple, banana or 2 kiwis for a desert twice per day.
    I've had almost every side effect on the list of the metformin and now it seems it is not working as well as it tatted out. I've been taking it just 9 days but now I am back to feeling starving hungry all the time even though I stick to the food program.

Do any of you have this illness? Do you have recipe/food ideas? I need some inspiration. How does the medication affect you?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Tina.

Yes talk to your doctor about your medicine. Just concerned about your "very strict diet" was it Rx by a doctor??? For insulin resistance that makes no sense to me honestly.

WHole wheat bread 3 slice = 36g of carbs
    Yogurt = 6g carbs
    red potatos(smallest ones i can think of) = 68g of carbs
    apple = 25g of carbs

Totaling 135g of carbs. Most people with insulin resistance usually follow a lower carb diet.

This is so right.

OP:

In 18 months of 60-80 carbs and over 100 lbs lost I reversed my type 2 diabetes.

I would seriously seek a second opinions and look for a Dr that attempts to reverse type 2 with diet, exercise, and meds combination.

• ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. The limiting fats sounds so wrong. They are good. Limiting carbs is where it's at is more like it. Eat the whole egg if you like eggs.

I'm going to call in @Nony_Mouse, she had insulin resistance. (She's lost enough weight that it's not longer an issue for her). She might have some suggestions for you.

Ditto on fats being good. You look young. 1 T a day? You need essential fats from diet to live. Also, insulin resistance can most likely lead to diabetes. Do you take your blood sugar. Do you have any labs to share?
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lbs in the first week but it was just the weight that I gained the week before. I'm now back to the same weight that I have been for over a year and can't lose no matter what I do. The doctor told me to follow this diet plan. Today I've vomited and felt really weak all day. I am going to go back to eating whole eggs and avocado and maybe some nuts to snack on because I need something to keep me going and this restricted food is killing me. I don't believe the metformin is working for me because I'm feeling dizzy again and I'm sure my insulin levels are just as high as when I went in. Most likely because of the carbs. I'm gonna try to get them down to 100g and under per day now and go back to eating good fats.

OMG, change your doctor. Or read on the internet. I know more than my doc about my condition. With her advice, my HbA1c would still be high and I would be 40lbs heavier. Friend me if you want.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fats, as they relate to blood sugar do things. Fats raise blood sugar slower, which is bad if you are too low. Fats also raise your blood sugar higher for longer periods of time, as compared with other foods.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I think you need to find a new doctor, or get a referral to a registered dietician (not a nutritionist). I'm very worried about you, vomiting and feeling weak is not good.

Here are some of the PDF fact sheets I was given by my dietician, from a diabetes clinic here in Australia.
    This one lists common foods and then gives you low GI and high HI options for each: Lower and Higher Glycaemic Index Choices
    This one gives you some ideas of healthy snacks: Healthy Snacks
    This one talks about portion sizes and has photos of common foods in their portion size: The Portion Guide
    This one is a shopping guide, of course many of the products are Australian but you might be able to find alternatives and compare them: Shopping guide
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    swift13b wrote: »
    I have insulin resistance, I was originally put on Metformin but after a while I decided to see if I could just change my lifestyle instead. After a few months of changing my diet and losing ~10kgs (at the time, I've now lost 22) I re-did the sugar drink test. My endo was happy with the results and I don't have to take Metformin anymore.

The things you've been told to eat are basically all the things I cut out. 3 slices of bread seems crazy to me, especially if you're also eating potato and pasta that day. If I'm going to eat pasta, bread or potatoes I make sure the rest of my meals are as low carb as possible. Ditch the bread, pasta and potatoes, and probably the banana while you're at it. You're better off eating berries instead. As someone else mentioned, make sure you eat protein when you do have carbs. I love apples so I have half of one in the morning with my eggs and then take the other half to work to have with cheese in the afternoon. You can also try spreading peanut butter on them. Yoghurt can be high in carbs, particularly if it's a sweetened or flavoured variety. Stick to a greek yoghurt that is higher in protein than it is in carbs per serve. Another great option is cottage cheese, I have it with frozen berries. You could try having that for breakfast instead of the bread (assuming that's your breakfast) or you could have scrambled eggs with spinach and cheese. Instead of pasta, buy a spiralizer (you can order them online) and make zucchini noodles instead.

This is all right on track.

What your doctor is telling you about limiting fats doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree that s/he probably wants you to lose weight as quickly as possible by limiting calories, but in the long term, what you are being recommended is not a good approach for IR.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    There is a chance you may have a magnesium deficiency. Supplements are harmless and can make a world of difference. Over 700 chemical processes in the body cannot work without adequate magnesium and many diseases, including insulin resistance result. I started magnesium citrate capsules 2 weeks ago and feel better than I did at half my present age. Magnesium may not work miracles for everyone but it would not hurt to try. I am age 62, 5'8", 150 lbs. I eat 2500-3000 calories per day and am losing weight.

Supplements are NOT harmless and no one should take them without a doctor saying they should.

Hypermagnesia (too much magnesium) can cause delayed muscle reflexes (something they check when giving pts iv magnesium in the hospital), respiratory depression/arrest, and possibly even cardiac arrest. It CAN hurt to try. Only take supplements if your physician tells you to.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP- I'm not gonna lie. I thought your opening post was a joke as it goes against the common sense rules of insulin management. The "rule of white"- no carbs that are white (potatoes, sugar, pasta) should be the first thing you learn.

I echo the others who recommend changing doctors. If you can find an endocrinologist, all the better. The problem with family doctors is they are often 10-15 years behind on best practice treatment plans.

In the diabetic community, we have a phrase called "eat to your meter" which is the only true way to know how your body is reacting to the foods you eat. Ask your doctor for a blood glucose meter and many testing strips and start testing your sugars in the morning, and before and after you eat your meals. This is how you learn what spikes and what doesn't spike your blood sugars. The key to successful glucose management is low and steady numbers. You should be avoiding the roller coaster of spikes.
  • tinahagar498
    tinahagar498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Please don't say things like I thought your post was a joke and criticise. It is unhelpful and not everyone knows about diabetes or insulin problems before being diagnosed. Of course I am not ignorant to my problem and have since writing this post read many books.
    All support and knowledge from people that have this problem is worth more than any book in my opinion and so I came here to seek just that. I am very grateful and have messaged people privately for their help and advice.
    I am 33 years old, I live in Chile which is still a developing country and I am very poor here financially. I do have private medical insurance however medical knowledge is perhaps not as advanced in this country.
    The medication I have been prescribed is metformin 750mg once per day and vitamin e 1000 once per day.
    I don't have any home testing units and so I can't give any recent info on my blood sugar levels or patterns. I have to go back in a couple of weeks to get another blood test on my insulin levels and for the doctor to check my weight.
    My weight loss stopped days ago so I don't believe he will be impressed. I'm going to add good fats back into my diet and reduce carbs. I'm going to try to mostly avoid potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. I mostly managed it yesterday and I feel a lot better today so I am taking people's advice on that.

Thanks again for all of your support!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diabetic in remission here. I was insulin resistant for ten years. I'll talk about the metformin. You haven't taken it long enough to notice the benefits. The side effects for me were nausea (if I took it on a nearly empty stomach), and loose bowels. Adaptation to metformin takes a while and it really helps if you very gradually increase the dose. Make sure you have enough food in your gut to feed it. The effect on blood sugar levels is nearly miraculous. I did not experience the weight losses claimed.

I agree with others that your diet seems overly restrictive. That combined with the metformin is likely affecting your appetite.

The dizziness may even be a sign of low blood sugar. Do you have a home blood sugar tester?

I can attest that weight loss will really help with the insulin resistance.
  • DaliaMaria73
    DaliaMaria73 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The logic for bread, rice and potatoes should be questioned in IR.

I agree. There is a lot of bad and outdated advice being given out by medical professionals. I was shocked to see that most diabetic associations' food pyramid has grains at the base! A recipe for out of control blood sugars. Even "whole grains" spike blood sugar for most people with IR/diabetes.
    I think a low carb diet would be better for IR with moderate protein and higher in healthy fats to maintain blood glucose levels without feeling so hungry. Get your carbs from vegetables. Cut out empty carbs like rice, potatoes, bread, etc.