Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

weight loss surgery

I am considering weight loss surgery and am wondering which is the best one, with the best results in maintaining the weight loss....

Replies

• mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    This is something to discuss with your doctor. Everyone is different! I had RNY gastric bypass in March and I'm down about 60.
  • kimberlyspanton
    kimberlyspanton Posts: 796 Member
    I have the appointment next week. :-)
  • lmbecker12
    lmbecker12 Posts: 46 Member
    I'm not sure there is a "best one" for maintaining the weight because it's all up to you. They may have varying degrees of success in getting the weight off, but maintaining is up to you. It's a tool....nothing more. How you keep it off is your own strength and willpower.
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    I was right at this place, too. I was so frustrated and ready to make that appointment, but decided I'd give it one more try. I lost about 20lbs with MFP in college, so this was where I went. After a successful first few weeks of JUST counting calories (no exercise) I bought a fitbit and I haven't looked back. Now, 44lbs lighter, I feel sort of silly for thinking that surgery was going to be my only way out. I pretty much eat whatever I want, so long as it fits in my calories and I've been consistently losing about 7-8 lbs per month. Make sure you're really putting your heart into the CICO way of life, and you can succeed.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    It says on your profile that you've tried all the quick fixes and now want to do it right. By having surgery? Eeeek. Surgery is NOT an easy road to go down.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Surgery is not the easy road. I have 5 friends who have had the surgery, 3 of them made the lifestyle change, starting eating right and exercising, they have kept the weight off and are much healthier do to the changes they made in their diet. The other two, they have put all the weight back and plus some. They did not change the way they ate and no to little exercise. They are having major health issues now. All 5 of my friends had the surgery do to health problems, 3 are much better now and two are worse than when they started. But they all say that they wish they could turn back time cause they would opt of of the surgery. So be careful and be healthy
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    aimeerace wrote: »
    It says on your profile that you've tried all the quick fixes and now want to do it right. By having surgery? Eeeek. Surgery is NOT an easy road to go down.

This is how I feel as well. I believe looking at eating habits is the answer. I was overweight most of my life, obese some of the time, and I know what helped me was to weigh food, log everything I eat, log all exercise, and to stay within my calorie goals. The total I have lost (amidst wild weight fluctuations and bad dieting habits (including bulimia when I was younger), is 83 pounds.

If I can do it, anybody can.

Also, my sister in law had weight loss surgery, kept it off for awhile, but has now gained a good amount back. She said if she had it to do over again, she would not have done it because of the long-term food and digestion complications afterward.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    smr09012 wrote: »
    I was right at this place, too. I was so frustrated and ready to make that appointment, but decided I'd give it one more try. I lost about 20lbs with MFP in college, so this was where I went. After a successful first few weeks of JUST counting calories (no exercise) I bought a fitbit and I haven't looked back. Now, 44lbs lighter, I feel sort of silly for thinking that surgery was going to be my only way out. I pretty much eat whatever I want, so long as it fits in my calories and I've been consistently losing about 7-8 lbs per month. Make sure you're really putting your heart into the CICO way of life, and you can succeed.

I love this.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here's a group you might enjoy.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

The pros and cons of the various surgeries are highly individual and all depend on your circumstances and goals. I had the bypass because this was the surgery recommended to me. It comes with the potential for the biggest loss, has been around the longest, will reduce ghrelin production, and for type 2 diabetics like me, it often eliminates all symptoms shortly after surgery (it did for me! yay!). Disadvantages include mal-absorption of vitamins and minerals, so I am on supplements for life.

I think the bypass is NOT recommended for women who still want to have children because of the mal-absorption issues.

I have a personal bias against the lap band because of local anecdotal stories and the local surgery team has stopped doing them. The lap band takes frequent adjustment and there's always the risk it might slip, causing issues.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    IMO (for what it's worth) if you've tried everything else and you want to do it "right" surgery is not that way. I know a few people that have opted for surgery and every one of them has said if they could take it back , they would no only because of the complications but because the surgery didn't teach them anything about changing they way they interact with and view food.

Obviously, the 5 or so people I know aren't representative of the entire population but it just isn't worth the risk.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    I am considering weight loss surgery and am wondering which is the best one, with the best results in maintaining the weight loss....
    Maintaining weight loss (regardless of surgery or not) is due to NOT over consuming. I've had 2 clients who had weight loss surgery and one who stopped working out with me is gaining their weight back. Why? Because MENTALLY they haven't changed their relationship with food.
    In other words, you can have the best weight loss surgery ever, but if you're relationship with food is still very suspect, then the weight loss may not be maintained.

How long have you spoken with the therapist on this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    My weight loss team emphasized throughout that the surgery is a tool. I still have to do all the work. Hence, my continued participation on MFP, and my running. The program where I live also includes an extensive education/training/screening component before we are cleared for surgery. I have a certificate from the ten hours of nutrition classes I took, and I also attended ten weeks of group therapy.

All success to you.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Maintaining weight loss (regardless of surgery or not) is due to NOT over consuming. I've had 2 clients who had weight loss surgery and one who stopped working out with me is gaining their weight back. Why? Because MENTALLY they haven't changed their relationship with food.
    In other words, you can have the best weight loss surgery ever, but if you're relationship with food is still very suspect, then the weight loss may not be maintained.

How long have you spoken with the therapist on this?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. To successfully go through WLS you need to change your mindset on food. You will have a completely different life. To me, I would find it much more beneficial to deal with my relationship with food and lose weight in a natural way than have to go through WLS just because it seems an easy option.

Anyone who has been through WLS will tell you it is NOT an easy option.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    I am also considering weight loss surgery. Be sure to ask about the gastric sleeve, which many insurances now cover. The weight loss center in my area switched over to this completely a few years back--they no longer do lap band and occasionally do bypass. There are no mal-absorption issues with this type of surgery, though of course other possible complications do exist.

I also agree with all of the posts above--surgery alone will not cure you, one must change their mindset on food and address the reasons why you became overweight. Depending on your personal situation, WLS can be a very effective tool, especially if you have many health risks. It's a very difficult decision, I know. For every person I know who had a very positive experience, I know someone who didn't....
  • BabeDeNoc
    BabeDeNoc Posts: 8 Member
    I had gastric bypass surgery in 2013. I'm 5'7". I started at 238 and was at 138 after 8 month. Lately my weight has crept up to 141.5, due to my snacking habits--which I'm working to correct. I hear all those who say--"Ohhh, thats so drastic, try this and try that." I tried this and that for 30 years. I can't tell you the number of times I joined Weight Watchers. I could always lose weight, but I could never reach my goal or maintain any weight loss. Finally at age 65 my health was being compromised--I had sleep apnea, high chlorestrol, aching joints, shortness or breath. Even then I thought that surgery was too drastic a solution--until a friend of mine said that she was having the surgery. After that I really started to think about it and to study the options. There has not been one day since I had the surgery that I regretted my decision. I feel like I have a real life again. All my medical issues are GONE. I am able to maintain an exercise routine, I can maintain a healthy low-fat, high protein diet, and my intake is limited by the size of my new stomach. I went from tight size 20 to a size 8, making shopping a whole lot easier. For me weight loss surgery was truly a lifesaver.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I have people in my life who have done this...after watching them...I am so glad I didn't even consider it.

At 5 ft 7 my highest weight was probably 205-215...not sure as I refused to get on the scale...but I have since lost 60lbs using mfp...

I watch them eat tiny bits, have no energy, go to countless appointments, not be able to wear what they want even at a lower weight because they hate how they look even now...(excess skin) etc.

I firmly believe it is the hardest way to lose weight...it is the quickest but no way no how would I do it...ever in a million years...

As well there are often times due to the fact that the weight loss was not done while learning about portions etc they gain the weight back...sometimes all of it...I would cry.
  • kimberlyspanton
    kimberlyspanton Posts: 796 Member
    Thanks all.
    I've decided to hold off on the weight loss surgery for now. I started a group on Facebook where we do a different 30 Day challenge every month for a year. If I haven't reached my goal by then, I'll revisit the surgery.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Thanks all.
    I've decided to hold off on the weight loss surgery for now. I started a group on Facebook where we do a different 30 Day challenge every month for a year. If I haven't reached my goal by then, I'll revisit the surgery.

Ok that's good you've made a decision

Now tell us about your food intake, because you aren't going to out exercise a bad diet

What's your height, age and current weight?
    What weight loss goal have you set per week?
    What's your activity level without purposeful exercise?

How are you dealing with counting your calories? Are you weighing absolutely everything, pre-planning, logging accurately?

That's where it counts

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    PS you also have to extremely careful with the exercise burns you log

There is very little chance you burned 274 calories doing 15 minutes of zumba I'm afraid

The MFP database overestimates, best to half the calorie estimate