I need Weight training help. Can someone look at my routine and replace machines with Free Weights?

Options
Robb_Lloyd
Robb_Lloyd Posts: 47 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I Need Help Adjusting and Developing my Weight Program to lessen my time at the gym.

I am a 40 year old runner by trade but after a recent 7 month layoff because of surgery I came back to working out with a new approach and ideas. I have been working on weight loss and my abs and seeing good results with a very lean low calorie diet and lots of exercise. It has been six weeks since I started and I think I need to switch a few things up now.

I am a newb when it comes to weights at the gym but have been slowly increasing my weights. Since where I workout there is no real chance for a spotter or workout partner I have been using the machines. It was a great start and motivator but now I need to look at more free weights. I don't want huge bulk because as I said before I am a runner but I would like to improve on my decent core and add some upper body definition to go with my abs. Here is my routine as it currently stands. Please let me know what should go and what should be replaced by what. I am currently in gym about an hour and 15 minutes or so Plus with the other stuff it roughly runs me to two hours a day working out. My calories are about to increase a bit but right now I am at 1375 sedentary day. I am told that a few of these exercises can be combined into one with free weights.

Tues 6 Mile Run, Thurs 3 to 4 mile run, Sunday Long run 7 to 8 currently

Gym days Mon, Weds, Fri

1.3 mile walk to gym$
10 or 11 minute 1 mile warm up on treadmill$

Machines Work

-Pec fly 90 lbs 10 reps 3xs
-Seated Dip 90 lbs 8 reps 3xs
-Converging Chst Prs 50 lbs 8 reps.
-Diverging Lat Pull Down 110 lbs 10 reps 3xs
-Converging shldr press 80 lbs 8 reps 3xs
-Biceps Curl 65 lbs10 reps 3xs
-Dip assist 70 lb. assist 10 reps 3xs$
-Chin assist 70 lb assist 10 reps 3xs
-Leg Extensions 100 lbs 10 reps 3xs
-Leg Press 150 lbs 10 reps 3xs$

Free Weights

-Dumbbell press 25 lbs 10 reps 3xs
-One Arm Row 25 lbs 10 reps 3xs

Other

-Free fall leg raises 10 reps 3xs
-Incline crunches 20 lbs 10 reps 3xs

-1 mile sprint home

-30 Jumping Jacks
-60 Flutter Kicks
-30 Side crunches both Sides
-60 Bicycle Kicks
-60 second plank
-Cool Down

I am considering adding
Single leg dead lift
Single leg squat

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Your goals are to get stronger whilst losing body fat, yes?

Pick a decent, already existing, beginner barbell program and follow it religiously for 3-6 months. Maintain a small calorie deficit and get 1gm protein per 1lb of bodyweight.

Eating 1375 a day is not going to cut it. What will cut it will be dependant on your height, weight, etc... more data needed.

As to the routines. You want through the core strength. Full body strength?

Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 are probably your go to routines.

You will only "bulk up" if you eat in a calorie surplus. Muscles don't magically appear overnight when you're cutting (it's hard enough to build them 40+ in a calorie surplus as it is)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP you know the minimum caloric requirement for a male is 1500?

You should probably get off of 1375 if you want to get stronger. Stick to 1800 or something similar, get 0.8-1g of protein per lb of body mass.
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Your goals are to get stronger whilst losing body fat, yes?

Pick a decent, already existing, beginner barbell program and follow it religiously for 3-6 months. Maintain a small calorie deficit and get 1gm protein per 1lb of bodyweight.

Eating 1375 a day is not going to cut it. What will cut it will be dependant on your height, weight, etc... more data needed.

As to the routines. You want through the core strength. Full body strength?

Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5 are probably your go to routines.

You will only "bulk up" if you eat in a calorie surplus. Muscles don't magically appear overnight when you're cutting (it's hard enough to build them 40+ in a calorie surplus as it is)

While Jimmmer has given you some helpful information, I would be more worried that 5x5 would get in the way of your running routine as it involves legs quite a lot (squats every workout, deadlifts on workout B's).

• Robb_Lloyd
    Options
    Yeah my calorie intake needs to go up and thats my next move. I was so focused on cutting weight I did not realize it was set to be 1500. I read somewhere it was 1350. But in my defense since I am so active I always ate more than that. I guess you could say I ate back my calories? Either way I am going up.

I am 5'9".5 if the half matters. My gym actual weights started at nothing and have been progressing up slowly. I was really a complete newbie. I do drink a protein shake each day that gives me about 50 gs of protein in addition to what I eat. I was on a meat, veggie, fruit lean meal plan but I am thinking it is safe for pastas, breads, dairy and carbs now maybe?

I do want a bit more definition and muscle but not too bulky. My run times have gotten so much better with weight training and I would like to improve on that.

So I need to look at a 5x5? I will be on google today as I don't even know what that is.

Deadlifts I was looking into but at 3 times a week I am afraid it would affect my running days and that is more of my desire. Running that is.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Robb_Lloyd wrote: »
    Yeah my calorie intake needs to go up and thats my next move. I was so focused on cutting weight I did not realize it was set to be 1500. I read somewhere it was 1350. But in my defense since I am so active I always ate more than that. I guess you could say I ate back my calories? Either way I am going up.

I am 5'9".5 if the half matters. My gym actual weights started at nothing and have been progressing up slowly. I was really a complete newbie. I do drink a protein shake each day that gives me about 50 gs of protein in addition to what I eat. I was on a meat, veggie, fruit lean meal plan but I am thinking it is safe for pastas, breads, dairy and carbs now maybe?

I do want a bit more definition and muscle but not too bulky. My run times have gotten so much better with weight training and I would like to improve on that.

So I need to look at a 5x5? I will be on google today as I don't even know what that is.

Deadlifts I was looking into but at 3 times a week I am afraid it would affect my running days and that is more of my desire. Running that is.

Running Sl 5x5 or another similar program, doesn't have deadlifts 3x week.
    It has squats 3x a week and depending on the week, deadlifts are 2x.

I get the struggle, I am a runner as well.
    While in my half training, I was using a program like SL 5x5.

I only lifted twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays.
    Fridays were rest days so I made Thursdays the workout with deadlifts.
    And I didn't progress the weight as fast as suggested, I'd do 2-3 workouts at the same weight so it wouldn't affect my running as much.

I'd give it a go for at least a month, preferably more, just to see how it affects your running.
  • Robb_Lloyd
    Options
    Oh and current weight fluctuates between 167 and 170. I think someone wanted to know that.
  • Robb_Lloyd
    Options
    [/quote]

Running Sl 5x5 or another similar program, doesn't have deadlifts 3x week.
    It has squats 3x a week and depending on the week, deadlifts are 2x.

I get the struggle, I am a runner as well.
    While in my half training, I was using a program like SL 5x5.

I only lifted twice a week, Mondays and Thursdays.
    Fridays were rest days so I made Thursdays the workout with deadlifts.
    And I didn't progress the weight as fast as suggested, I'd do 2-3 workouts at the same weight so it wouldn't affect my running as much.

I'd give it a go for at least a month, preferably more, just to see how it affects your running. [/quote]

Thanks Lishie I will for sure look into that. The Internet is just flooded with so many contradicting things I figure here I would at least get info that people have first hand experience with.

I know my age plays a factor also.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You can certainly run and do a full body routine x3 a week. You have to be sensible and get all your other ducks in a row if you want to make it work.

1) Sleep. Get it on point.

2) Hydration. Do it.

3) Nutrition. The largest deficit you want to run is 250 off of your TDEE

4) Stress. Manage it. If it's a period in your life when there's something major going on (new job, divorce, new family member, moving house, lose job, etc) then don't combine a full running schedule and lifting schedule - you'll burn out. The best you can do in these circumstances if you're set on it is eat at maintenance (or slightly above).

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself what's important and how fully you want to commit to it.
  • Robb_Lloyd
    Options
    Isaac and Jimmer thank you so much for taking the time to help me! With your advice and the advice of others I hope to improve on what I have started. I am taking thorough notes here.

I can also say that I am not really losing much in the way of weight now. I am
    Maintaining but definitely shaping and toning. Losing inches on the belly but not pounds.