Alcohol

Options
Ian_Davies
Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
Right gang I need a few tips please.

I haven't drunk alcohol for a few months now and haven't missed it in the slightest.

However tonight I am meeting a mate and will end up having a drink. Most I will have is 2 as I've worked too hard to get this far and am close to the plateau line.

So whats the least worst drink I can have - glass of wine? red? white? Need something to sip for a bit until I can tempt them to go eat and then I can go back to drinking water.

As always grateful for the tips - I would like to avoid a soft drink as they appear to have more sugar than an easter party.

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I drink regularly and it has not kept me from maintaining. I go with say a Tom Collins, or gin and tonic.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I reckon wine if you want something to sip. Beer goes warm and yuck if you sit on it, and unless you get a diet mixer, there's a reasonable amount of cals in soft drink (tonic has more sugar than coke). Or you can be totally suave and get a straight high end whiskey and just sip that.
  • Ian_Davies
    Ian_Davies Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks gang, thats really helpful.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Vodka and diet soda if you need something really low cal
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Captain Morgans (Rum) and ginger ale is about 140cals. Or any white spirit and diet coke is around 40/50 cals. You can top up with diet coke too to prolong the illusion!
  • rjsnau
    rjsnau Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is always a problem I have. I have totally given up alcohol drinking when I am home alone because I would much rather have a scoop of ice cream than a beer. But I still like to go out and be social and many beers weigh in at 170 calories for a 12 ounce beer or 300 for a mixed drink. The best few drinks I have found and have become my staples are 1) Lite beer at around 100 calories 2) Vodka or Gin, lime slice and SODA water, not tonic at around 100-150 calories depending on the shot size. Tonic water has calories so avoid it. 3) Rum and diet coke.

There are enough options there where I always have something I feel like and I can have 2 or even 3 drinks and not kill my day if I do it right. Hope it helps!
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you are a beer drinker - Alcohol free beer is lower (about half) the calories of regular beer. 140 cals for 500ml of Erdinger... (vs 220 for regular)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol fairly regularly regardless of whether I'm cutting or maintaining. When I'm cutting I generally stick to vodka and soda water with lemon or lime. Three of those with a 2 oz poor is less than 400 calories...no biggie.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Scoochie1 wrote: »
    If you are a beer drinker - Alcohol free beer is lower (about half) the calories of regular beer. 140 cals for 500ml of Erdinger... (vs 220 for regular)

Guinness is a good light beer .. 15 cals less than the non-alcoholic beer ..

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest dry red wine, if you can tolerate it.
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Get a club soda with a spritz of cranberry and a lemon and just skip the vodka - you've gotten this far. I am sure for health reasons and reason specific to you this is a route or experiment you are needing or wanting to pursue. Stick with it and don't be distracted. Sure other people are great with pounding the beverages but age, health history or current situation and other factors are specific to you. Go with your instinct and intentions.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What do you actually like?

Drink one or two of those.
  • HollieWould1
    HollieWould1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Drink what you like, but maybe earn it in cardio? If I know I am going to be consuming I make for sure I work for it like it's some sort of sweet reward.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Why do you find it necessary to drink at all?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    jaxass wrote: »

why is it your place to even ask that question? He wants to go have a drink with a bud.

I'm a gin and tonic sorta girl myself. or cider. google the cider, calorie counts vary
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jaxass wrote: »

ryan6.gif

some people enjoy a drink now and then...who the *kitten* are you? not to mention, there are documented health benefits to consuming alcohol in moderation.

• kshengst
    kshengst Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Gin and Mineral Water with a lime is a favorite. Avoid Tonic water with its 23g of sugar per serving. I love a good Red Wine as well, but that's more a dinner drink for me. I agree with the majority above and say drink what you actually like. However, it sounds as if you don't even want to drink. If you don't want a drink but want to 'blend', have mineral water. It looks as if your having a gin & tonic.
    201306332 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a college student and drink frequently. I have found a drink that has worked great for me. I get any vodka and put about half a fifth of it in a gallon water jug and fill the rest with water. Once you fill it up put in half of a thing of mio. No sugar or calories and it makes your alcohol tasteless while keeping you hydrated and doing the job.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Vodka sodas are my go to. Squeeze the lime into the drink, I used to never do that, but it tastes so much better that way. Order a tall since you want it to last for a while
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I usually go with G&T, vodka soda or a glass of red wine...I sip slowly and stick to 1 or 2