How to maitain weight and fitness when injured

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
So here's my tale of woe.

A month ago I thought I felt some pain in a hamstring during a run, so I took a few days off to rest and let that heal up. during this rest period, my calves cramped up, and they have been cramped ever since. Not a cramp just when I'm exercising, but a cramp/tightness NON-STOP with occasional spasms deeper in the muscle. I have been to see my Physical therapist, who has given me stretches and strengthening exercises to do. I have been doing them religiously without relief.

I have also been to see my doctor several times. First she prescribed me a muscle relaxer and a strong anti-inflammatory than the ibuprofen I'd been taking. They also offered little relief. This week when I saw MD again, she increased the dose of the anti-inflammatory and referred me for an ultrasound and to see an orthopedic doctor. Did the ultrasound yesterday, came back negative-so no blood clots.

Called for the ortho this AM, and the earliest they could get me in was on 6/16. So that means I must tolerate this for another week and a half.

I don't know what to do anymore. I am a high-activity kinda gal. I was running, kickboxing, swinging my kettlebells and lifting, cycling. I tried going to a spin class and my calves made me pay for it that evening. I had been doing yoga to help stretch it out-no luck. Epson salt baths, magnesium supplements, foam rolling, tennis ball...nothing. I had come so far with running-was going to try for a 10K this fall...and now it hurts to walk for long periods of time.

I guess this is my long-winded way of venting and asking if anyone has tips on avoiding weight gain when your level of activity has been severely hindered? Any ideas for exericises I can do that won't aggravate the calves?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Well, of course the weight issue comes down to food--you don't have exercise calories to eat back, so, uh, don't. :p I was very careful about tracking when I hurt myself (my calf! go us!) this winter, and I managed just fine. Well, weight-wise. I was an emotional pit of gloom and suffering.

As far as working out, I could see seated upper body lifting (machines or dumbbells). What about anything in the water? Swimming itself is a happy cramp-maker for me, but you could use a pull buoy, maybe water running or aquacize would work? You don't know until you try.

I hope the ortho has a good solution for you in a week and a half! When I've had problems with crazy tight muscles and tendons before, I've had good luck with active release massage and with TENS stimulation--especially the latter. You have options. You'll figure something out and get back out there for real.