does body weight squats help in losing weight

Options
Has anyone experienced weight loss majorly by practicing squats. I have confusion if its just fr toning n muscle

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating in a calorie deficit.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If they help you achieve a caloric deficit they help.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Squats build muscle which could ultimately increase your weight.

You lose weight by consuming less calories than your body burns.

All exercise helps burn more calories than not exercising.

So in summary, squats might help you lose weight.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Make them jump squats and they are a good cardio workout.
  • ngaudet29
    ngaudet29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Squats increase your muscle mass. Which on the scale looks like you've gained. But muscles also speed up your metabolism to burn more fat while not doing anything.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ngaudet29 wrote: »
    Squats increase your muscle mass. Which on the scale looks like you've gained. But muscles also speed up your metabolism to burn more fat while not doing anything.

Body weight squats in a caloric deficit likely won't do anything for muscle mass. They'll get your heart rate up a little, but that's about all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    One could squat all they want, but if their calorie deficit isn't consistent, weight loss may not happen. One could also do no squats at all and lose weight if their calorie deficit is consistent.
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Calorie deficit is for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Add some resistance loops around your knees and they'll be a bit more challenging and do more to add some strength to your muscles, but ... no not much of a calorie burner.

Weight loss is all about your diet and what you eat.

Exercise is for fitness.
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, and health in general, is 80% diet and 20% exercise related.

So your main focus should be on your diet of nutrient rich foods that pretty much eliminates empty cals and maintaining a calorie deficit.

That being said, squats are an awesome exercise. They increase strength and endurance. Use a wide variety of muscle groups. Improve balance and flexibility. And you body does continue to burn cals for a good while after you complete your exercises.

There is a 28 day squat challenge in the blog that could help get you going.
  • faithgirlfl
    faithgirlfl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do this -- 100 squats a day -- 20 random squats throughout the day ... and it has toned my thighs and butt.... and i'll take the trade on weighing a few pounds more ... :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats don't do much on their own, especially in a calorie deficit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I do squats daily to strengthen my quads. To save my knees. No noticeable change to my weight but I do them for different reasons.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I do squats daily to strengthen my quads. To save my knees. No noticeable change to my weight but I do them for different reasons.

Another one doing them because she has bum knees! They are so great for strengthening the muscles around those finicky joints.

I do weighted squats in the gym, but I do random sets of 20 bodyweight squats throughout the day at home.