MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKES

Options
IM A BUSY MOM AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY A MEAL REPLACEMENT SHAKE IN THE MORNING. ANY POSITIVE RESULTS WITH MEAL REPLACEMENTS

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If they help keep you in a caloric deficit, you'll get positive results.
  • ens102
    ens102 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a meal replacment shake for breakfast, mostly because it helps me stay at a calorie defecit without much effort. I find it really helpful but make sure the one you have isn't too sugary, lots of them have just as manay calories as a "proper" meal so aren't as helpful when eating at a deficit. Log it as well as everything else you eat/drink and it will work out!
  • desy617
    desy617 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    THANKS GUYS ;)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Those are like protein shakes, right? You might consider getting a personal blender (I bought this one) and making your own.

Not that there's anything wrong with buying prepackaged ones, but I like experimenting with different flavors and combos, personally.
  • Bqueen1995
    Bqueen1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the GNC lean meal replacement shakes in the chocolate and cookies n cream flav. I've been on them for 4 days and i've lost a pound. I take the shakes during breakfast and have one for dinner and have a healthy balanced lunch. I'll be on these shakes for like 3-4 months, lets see how it goes. And goodluck to you(y)
  • desy617
    desy617 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the GNC lean meal replacement shakes in the chocolate and cookies n cream flav. I've been on them for 4 days and i've lost a pound. I take the shakes during breakfast and have one for dinner and have a healthy balanced lunch. I'll be on these shakes for like 3-4 months, lets see how it goes. And goodluck to you(y)

• the_big_johnson
    the_big_johnson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make you own. True MRP shakes are expensive and fattening too. I would just find a good protein, mix in oats, throw in some flax, blend it up, and run off. You get protein, carbs, and good fats. But the oats and ground flax in bulk if you have a food store with bins of them.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I do the Costco protein shakes 30 grams of protein and 160 calories.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry, I just have a greek yogurt. That's what my doctor recommended, because it has protein.
  • StefannyFlorez
    StefannyFlorez Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make you own. True MRP shakes are expensive and fattening too. I would just find a good protein, mix in oats, throw in some flax, blend it up, and run off. You get protein, carbs, and good fats. But the oats and ground flax in bulk if you have a food store with bins of them.

I take Isopure, it's 50g of protein and no carbs or fat and it has 240 cal. It's it ok to mix with oats and flax?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I take Isopure, it's 50g of protein and no carbs or fat and it has 240 cal. It's it ok to mix with oats and flax?

This is a protein supplement NOT a meal replacement. These 2 things should not be interchangeable. If you want to use this as a meal replacement.....you definitely need to add a few things.

If you are looking to increase your protein (along with regular meals) don't worry about it.

OP - a meal replacement shake in the a.m. is not a bad thing. But losing weight thru meal replacements (in lieu of logging regular meals) teaches you nothing about your current habits. Learning portion sizes and calories of foods you eat is going to be very useful to maintain any weight lost.
  • mlapointe88
    mlapointe88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found that these drinks did not help me. However you can make yourself a green smoothie at night and leave it for yourself the next day? I found that helped and I actually looked forward to waking up to drink one. There's so many ways to make green smoothies too, you'll never get bored!
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i use a protein shake that I buy at the gym. Yes it's on the expensive side, but it is a great tool to help me reach my protein goal. It is meant as a meal replacement. I use the chocolate powder, mix it with 8 oz. of 1% milk and ice cubes and then zip it in the blender. It tastes JUST like a chocolate milkshake with that same consistency. I have one every morning and LOVE it! For me, it's worth every penny!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I would suggest overnight oats or some meal prep at night. A filling breakfast will keep your mind off of food and keep your body properly fueled.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    SHAKEOLOGY!!!!! Soooooo yummy and one shakeology is equivalent to like 48$ worth it crazy different veggies. Just look it up lol a bit expensive but beyond worth it. You will love it. Over time it helps you loose weight and reduce cravings to :)

How did you arrive at that $48 calculation?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This is a protein supplement NOT a meal replacement. These 2 things should not be interchangeable. If you want to use this as a meal replacement.....you definitely need to add a few things.

If you are looking to increase your protein (along with regular meals) don't worry about it.

OP - a meal replacement shake in the a.m. is not a bad thing. But losing weight thru meal replacements (in lieu of logging regular meals) teaches you nothing about your current habits. Learning portion sizes and calories of foods you eat is going to be very useful to maintain any weight lost.

I agree.

Whatever diet you are doing does need to have the ability to transition into a long term plan very easily. That being said.... grabbing a shake in the morning as you're running out the door to go to work is a healthy way to start the day.
  • katieshaheen66
    katieshaheen66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I buy the GNC Total Lean shakes - they taste great (I love the vanilla and the chocolate shake), 170 calories with 25g of protein. I have one every morning after my coffee and they keep me full until about noon. I am not a breakfast person in the slightest, so if I didn't have my shake, I probably wouldn't eat anything until lunch time. They're easy to throw into your purse.. they don't need to be refrigerated either so I keep a case in my desk drawer in case I forget to bring mine with me!
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I use a shake for lunch. I'm normally busy and have no way to measure in the staff canteen. This way I know what I'm getting and can build in a bigger dinner (evenings is when my hunger kicks in anyway).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I can't do shakes. They don't fill me up and I'm hungry like 30 minutes later.
  • rachelecosse
    rachelecosse Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've used Herbalife shakes for about six months now. Herbalife has some strange business practises (rumours of a pyramid scheme, etc) BUT I find their shakes do work, and taste good. I use unsweetened almond milk, which brings them to about 150 calories each, and they keep me full til lunch.

As a bonus, within about two weeks of starting the Herbalife shakes, my hair, skin and nails all dramatically improved, so obviously they have vitamins in that I wasn't getting before.