Diabetic Shocked Into Reality: My Weight Loss Journey

Options
As a platform to understand why I've undertaken this weight loss challenge, I'll provide you with some background.

Years of my life were spent overweight. As a child, I was always naturally a big kid [not necessarily fat]; but as the years passed, I started to gain more and more weight as I was on a whole host of different psych medications that eventually lead to me ballooning to 395 pounds.

It all culminated in August of 09' when I was hospitalized, the day of my Sister's wedding, with Diabetes and a blood sugar of 2000. Suffice to say, I nearly died due to kidney failure.

Still, I made an effort; and, needless to say, I lost about 45 pounds of that over the next couple of years, but just maintained my weight around 348 pounds.

Then, it happened again. On December 6th I was hospitalized again, this time by my own hand and it finally provided the wake-up call I'd sought for years. I was getting Abscesses that made it painful to sit and hot, popping, searing pains in my thighs. So what did I do? I DRASTICALLY changed my eating habits.

Lo and behold, in the first month I plummeted 35 pounds from 348 since the month prior. After I hit the 300 pound mark, I joined Snap fitness, hired a trainer and started lifting, doing cardio and I've never been thinner since BEFORE middle school.

As of June 12th I'm down to 229 and rapidly approaching my first goal of 200 lbs. that I set for myself half a year ago.

I feel great, I look great and the doctor has since taken me off of the Medication for the Diabetes since he ran some bloodwork that showed I've been in perfect health for moths.

I'm hoping this story can inspire people that you can do it without sacrificing what you like. I eat what I want, what I like, but the key is proper portioning and receivin the proper nutrion in the process.

I've lost 119 pounds in 6 1/4 Months and I've never been better.

I'm seeking to be more active on this site instead of going it alone as I have up to this point, so, hopefully, this post'll get the ball rolling.

Replies

• StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

There are days I am still in denial about "having" diabetes.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you got it together. And a HUGE accomplishment!! I mean, you "lost" a female adult in just over 6 months!!

Congrats to you. You deserve it!!
  • sophrosyne_
    sophrosyne_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    what you have accomplished already is incredible, really inspiring! well done!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Amazing! T1 for 28 years here.......
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Truly inspiring, congratulations on your achievements and success!
  • skasis_paradigm
    Options
    Good for you!

There are days I am still in denial about "having" diabetes.

I went through the same thing. It took me awhile, but I finally came to terms with it. In the words of Bruce Wayne of Batman Begins, "People need dramatic examples to shake them out of apathy" and I couldn't agree more.
    I'm glad you got it together. And a HUGE accomplishment!! I mean, you "lost" a female adult in just over 6 months!!

Congrats to you. You deserve it!!

Thank you very much. My trainer's at the Snap fitness were perplexed that they weren't doing their biggest loser contest this year. They said if they'd hosted it, I would've won easily. Though I don't really care about winning anything. I did it for myself, which is apparent in the face of the news they gave me.
    what you have accomplished already is incredible, really inspiring! well done

Thank you, very much appreciated
    Thanks for sharing your story. Truly inspiring, congratulations on your achievements and success!

Thanks. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, but I have a few of me from when I was around 395 pounds and the differences are eye-popping to put it lightly.