A lesson learned on the importance of the food scale -

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Weighing my eggs and Quest bars was a game changer for sure. I weigh just about everything now. For the things I don't like dried spices? (I still measure those with the palm of my hand which is accurate for teaspoon increments, I've cooked by this method so long and tested myself) I leave a buffer leftover in my calories for the day every day.
  • AmorAguacate
    AmorAguacate Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that experience. I actually never have thought twice about the label misrepresenting the serving size and now I wonder why I never did. I will have to start checking some things myself. Hmmm.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    weighing things frozen vs. non frozen makes a big difference, too. I never realized this until a few months ago. I have frozen french fries sometimes, usually potato wedges, and I was weighing my portions faithfully--after I took them out of the oven. Then one day for some reason I noticed the bag said "xx g or about 8 wedges" and I realized I was getting a lot more than that for the same weight. So I weighed some of the fries frozen....and I was shocked. They weighed almost *twice* as much as they do after they are cooked! So now I've really started to pay attention to this. Frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts weigh about 30% more than cooked ones, for example... If you're using the frozen weight nutritional value this can really throw you off for the day.
  • geministyle
    geministyle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do think that the closer you are to goal weight, the more "obsessive" you have to be. 100 calories per day is NOTHING but over a year it's ten pounds.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened to me recently. I got down to 150 in 2013, but I recently was back up to 170! I never did "pig out" but I did allow myself weekly treats and toned down the exercise just a bit. Probably netted out to about 200 calories a day in excess, and there you go --- 20 pounds put back on and no real fun to show for it!