Protein intake

Options
2»

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The proper protein range for active individuals is 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. This is the result synopsis of multiple studies done on the topic for many decades to present date. Staying within this range is scientifically sound, depending on your weight, goals, body composition, etc.

Peer-reviewed, journal published research shows that 0.80 grams per pound of total bodyweight is the very high end of intake that might optimize muscle development/retention, with most research showing much lower intake is sufficient to optimize such outcomes, even in professional bodybuilders.

One of the more thorough studies showed that after 0.80 g/lb of bodyweight, there is no evidence of increased muscle protein synthesis rate for sedentary, endurance or strength athletes. Consuming more protein will not promote further muscle synthesis.

Example:

200 lb. active person - 0.60-0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. total bodyweight = 120-160 grams protein per day

Protein is 4 calories per gram. Therefore, this person would hover around 480-640 calories from protein alone each day. The remainder of the calories would be filled by adequate dietary fat (minimum of 0.40-0.45 g/lb.) and then carbs (and alcohol, if consuming) would fill in the rest.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I also got told increasing my protein would decrease cravings. Having a hard time walking away from the chocolate especially when i am tired.

It could--I find I eat better and tend to crave more nutritious food overall when I'm eating a decent amount of protein--but trying to avoid being tired is more helpful. (I realize that may not be under your control. I struggle with that from time to time and try to remember that I might just be tired. I also get coffee.)

Sorry for the off-topic, but I agree with the first answer you got on the protein, so decided to comment on this too.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Protein Summit 2.0 outcomes have just been published - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/101/6/1317S.long
    The RDA is “the average daily dietary nutrient intake level sufficient to meet the nutrient requirement of nearly all (97 to 98 percent) healthy individuals in a particular life stage and gender group” (2). The RDA for protein, which is based primarily on nitrogen balance studies, is 0.8 g/kg body weight per day for adults aged 19 y and is established from the EAR for protein (0.66 g/kg body weight per day) plus a safety variance of >20%. The EAR is defined as “the average daily nutrient intake level estimated to meet the requirement of half the healthy individuals in a particular life stage and gender group”

Many varied inputs are reported, including "The review of protein's role in metabolic function by Layman et al. (6) suggests that daily protein intake to ∼1–1.2 g/kg is beneficial for various metabolic functions."

"Emerging science supports a protein intake for adults of 25–30 g/meal and ≥2.2 g of the essential amino acid leucine to achieve maximal muscle protein synthetic rates"

" Findings suggest that weight-loss diets containing higher protein (i.e., 1.2–1.6 g/kg body weight per day or 90–150 g) lead to modest, but relevant, improvements in body weight over the short term (≤12 wk) compared with standard-protein (higher-carbohydrate) diets." etc
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The proper protein range for active individuals is 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight. This is the result synopsis of multiple studies done on the topic for many decades to present date. Staying within this range is scientifically sound, depending on your weight, goals, body composition, etc.

Peer-reviewed, journal published research shows that 0.80 grams per pound of total bodyweight is the very high end of intake that might optimize muscle development/retention, with most research showing much lower intake is sufficient to optimize such outcomes, even in professional bodybuilders.

One of the more thorough studies showed that after 0.80 g/lb of bodyweight, there is no evidence of increased muscle protein synthesis rate for sedentary, endurance or strength athletes. Consuming more protein will not promote further muscle synthesis.

Example:

200 lb. active person - 0.60-0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. total bodyweight = 120-160 grams protein per day

Protein is 4 calories per gram. Therefore, this person would hover around 480-640 calories from protein alone each day. The remainder of the calories would be filled by adequate dietary fat (minimum of 0.40-0.45 g/lb.) and then carbs (and alcohol, if consuming) would fill in the rest.

Yep. This.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    75-100 g is plenty for just about anyone.

False

My recommendation is significantly higher than the CDC's recommendation. (54 g for my weight)

The common formula is .8 g per kilogram of body weight. If you're starting with your bodyweight in pounds, multiply body weight by .36, and that's your protein requirement in grams.

I weigh 234 ... 234 * .36 = 84 grams of protein. I run, I lift, and I have no issues.

It's .6-.8 per pound, I believe. Not kilograms.

.8 per KG came from: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2002); Food and Nutrition Board (FNB), Institute of Medicine (IOM) (www.nap.edu/books/0309085373.html).

Link is not working for me.

If it says what I think it says (based on other papers that cite that amount) is that recommendation is that is the absolute bare minimum for basic body functioning. Anyone doing any sort of daily activity needs substantially more
    From the CDC Website:

How much protein do I need?
    Maybe you've wondered how much protein you need each day. In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
    Grams of protein
    needed each day
    Children ages 1 – 3 13
    Children ages 4 – 8 19
    Children ages 9 – 13 34
    Girls ages 14 – 18 46
    Boys ages 14 – 18 52
    Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
    Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

The chart lists the bare minimum recommended in one day for each age group.

funny thing about that recommendation is when you combine their % goal with their gram goal. 56g of protein is about 224 calories. If that's supposed to be 35% of your daily calorie goal, it implies a daily calorie goal of about 650 calories. Not sure they did the math on that one
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Protein Summit 2.0 outcomes have just been published - http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/101/6/1317S.long
    The RDA is “the average daily dietary nutrient intake level sufficient to meet the nutrient requirement of nearly all (97 to 98 percent) healthy individuals in a particular life stage and gender group” (2). The RDA for protein, which is based primarily on nitrogen balance studies, is 0.8 g/kg body weight per day for adults aged 19 y and is established from the EAR for protein (0.66 g/kg body weight per day) plus a safety variance of >20%. The EAR is defined as “the average daily nutrient intake level estimated to meet the requirement of half the healthy individuals in a particular life stage and gender group”

Many varied inputs are reported, including "The review of protein's role in metabolic function by Layman et al. (6) suggests that daily protein intake to ∼1–1.2 g/kg is beneficial for various metabolic functions."

"Emerging science supports a protein intake for adults of 25–30 g/meal and ≥2.2 g of the essential amino acid leucine to achieve maximal muscle protein synthetic rates"

" Findings suggest that weight-loss diets containing higher protein (i.e., 1.2–1.6 g/kg body weight per day or 90–150 g) lead to modest, but relevant, improvements in body weight over the short term (≤12 wk) compared with standard-protein (higher-carbohydrate) diets." etc

Very interesting. Thanks.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    "bare minimum"
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    " The AMDR for protein is 10–35% of calories, which allows for a greater contribution of dietary protein to remaining flexible caloric intake than is realized when using the RDA alone to assess protein needs."

"The average daily protein intake for Americans is 1.2–1.5 g/kg per day or ∼16% of calories of protein based on NHANES 2003–2004 data (6). These values exceed the RDA but are within the AMDR and well below the upper range of 35% of energy as protein."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/101/6/1353S.full