What is your take on a Fully Raw Vegan Lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd worry about your lycopene and apigenin absorption. Some things are utilised better by the body with heat. Veganism isn't a problem but the raw bit concerns me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently healthier about a vegan diet (raw or otherwise) than a vegetarian one or a meat eating one.

Vegan diets can be challenging getting enough protein (not impossible, but most vegan foods do not give as much protein bang for your calorie buck and often the proteins are not complete ones). Just based on the restrictions - it makes getting nutrients in general harder - again, not impossible, but more challenging.

Going raw makes it even more restrictive and harder to do the above.

If you want to become a vegan, imo, there is no point doing it for health or weight loss reasons, and no point in becoming a raw vegan at all.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Before you take the leap, please watch this video (nine minutes long). I would love to hear your opinion on this scientist's findings.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain?language=en

That is an awesome video.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Why not try it and see how you feel? If it doesn't work with your body, then you can always adjust. :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My take is: Nothing wrong with it, but I could never go full vegan. I like beer and wine too much.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well thank you all for your opinions ! I personally love to eat raw veggies and of course yummy fruits and nuts so it doesn't bother me as far as eating goes. In terms of the "healthier" mention, what I should have clarified was referring to it is healthier in terms of most people don't eat as much or even half veggies and fruits as a person should based on the nutritional daily amount. Of course grains and meats are consumed more (by those who do not adapt an evenly nutritional lifestyle) that is. My reason for excluding meat is merely because my body feels better and I don't feel so lethargic after meals.
    While I am on a weight loss journey, this is not a diet or ploy to lose my weight. I am simply eating this way because I enjoy the way my body feels eating these delicious fruits and vegetables.

If you enjoy eating raw vegetables, fruits, and nuts, then by all means, eat them to your heart's/colon's/calorie goal's content. That doesn't mean you have to exclusively eat them to the point of eliminating everything else. I REALLY like tacos. That doesn't mean that I ONLY eat tacos.

Eat what you like. If you prefer not to eat meat, then by all means, do it. Eat in whatever fashion you truly find physically and mentally satiating/satisfying, sustainable, and easy to meet all of your nutritional requirements without unnecessary fuss. But don't expect any magic health benefits from broadly and completely arbitrarily eliminating not just entire food groups, but entire food preparation methods. It just won't work that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well thank you all for your opinions ! I personally love to eat raw veggies and of course yummy fruits and nuts so it doesn't bother me as far as eating goes. In terms of the "healthier" mention, what I should have clarified was referring to it is healthier in terms of most people don't eat as much or even half veggies and fruits as a person should based on the nutritional daily amount. Of course grains and meats are consumed more (by those who do not adapt an evenly nutritional lifestyle) that is. My reason for excluding meat is merely because my body feels better and I don't feel so lethargic after meals.
    While I am on a weight loss journey, this is not a diet or ploy to lose my weight. I am simply eating this way because I enjoy the way my body feels eating these delicious fruits and vegetables.

there are thousands of people who've adopted healthy living that get all of their veg and fruit and eat meat and grains.

grains, legumes, and lentils tend to be staples in every vegetarian/vegan's diet that I know....so they're unhealthy then?

I think maybe you haven't done much research into actual healthy living...and why does this now seem like another prototypical, sanctimonious vegan thread?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Before you take the leap, please watch this video (nine minutes long). I would love to hear your opinion on this scientist's findings.

https://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herculano_houzel_what_is_so_special_about_the_human_brain?language=en

That is an awesome video.

Thanks. That scientist gently and deliberately changed my mind about cooking food. I feel like such a brainiac now!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

there are thousands of people who've adopted healthy living that get all of their veg and fruit and eat meat and grains.

grains, legumes, and lentils tend to be staples in every vegetarian/vegan's diet that I know....so they're unhealthy then?

I think maybe you haven't done much research into actual healthy living...and why does this now seem like another prototypical, sanctimonious vegan thread?

200_s.gif
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    how-can-you-tell-if-someones-a-vegan.jpg
  • teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Some raw food meals, or even raw food days? Sure why not. Some raw-foodist food is pretty tasty. I've had some delicious marinated cauliflower disguised as rice and cashew "cheese" and I love a big boring pile of raw veggies.

But to eat that way all the time? That would be way too restrictive and drive me completely crazy. Eating more vegetables is awesome and all, but it doesn't need to be at the expense of all the other foods.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i think raw vegan desserts are amazing same with fruit mmm fruit is just so good i eat a lot of it

but as far as living a raw vegan lifestyle meh I mean it makes some people happy and thats great but I dont want to live without potatoes, rice , bread, vegan cheese,all dressed chips and vegan candy

soo im going to say i think its ok for some people if you have the resources to do it

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yep. Plus there are also a lot of veg*ns who do not get enough fruits and veggies either. For quite a while, I pretty much had days on end without a vegetable in sight with fruits only making a rare appearance and I was not eating meat at the time!.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I like the occasional raw vegan coconut cookie (by occasional I mean eating the whole bag at one sitting) but overall I could never give up meat or cooking and it seems kinda silly to try. There is zero evidence that it is in any way beneficial. I hear some people say "oh I feel so much better" but when you look at the before and after pictures of them they look like they have contracted some disease that is slowly wasting them away. Instead of looking healthy but trim they look sunk in and their skin seems dull and lifeless.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

200_s.gif

tumblr_mfzwtmzMCm1rhf11xo1_500.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    I like the occasional raw vegan coconut cookie (by occasional I mean eating the whole bag at one sitting) but overall I could never give up meat or cooking and it seems kinda silly to try. There is zero evidence that it is in any way beneficial. I hear some people say "oh I feel so much better" but when you look at the before and after pictures of them they look like they have contracted some disease that is slowly wasting them away. Instead of looking healthy but trim they look sunk in and their skin seems dull and lifeless.

:joy:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I would ask why? Why?
  • shivasgirl
    shivasgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt want to live without butter