Feeling my age - or is this just a mental barrier to losing weight?

Options
Two years ago I was in the best shape of my life. I weighed 11 stone or under, which was perfect for me. My MFP account really helped back then. Now, I can still skip for ten minutes but I feel dizzy sometimes. I can run, but usually the first mile is the worst, I have some chest pains and yet...after that first mile, I can run up to a 3.5 mile set in 30 mins. I have been fit for most of my life, so don't know why I am feeling lethargic now. Is age really a factor for you? Would appreciate what to do. Thanks!

Replies

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Get a routine physical and have blood work done. Age can be a factor, but so can illness. I've acquired more illnesses with age, and many of the ones I have, I got before the usual time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor right away with those symptoms.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    First. I'm like that with the first mile but not to the extent you are by any means.

Second. Ever been checked for asthma? The asthmatics with whom my son runs actually run a special warm up prior to the run because it makes their asthma much better. The exercise helps do something. If they run with the group prior to that they have the symptoms described above. And you can develop asthma later in life. Not saying you have it, just saying the symptoms are similar.

Best of luck!
    leslisa
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1 - probably need to see a doctor
    2 - getting back into shape takes time
    3 - I'm 40 going on 41 and I'm in the best shape I've been since my early 20s