Just curious

Options
2»

Replies

• Bqueen1995
    Bqueen1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Last summer I lost roughly 40lbs from May until August by keeping my calorie intake to about 1200 a day (I was drinking heavily, on a almost daily basis, and probably could have lost a lot more). I gained it all back after starting the fall semester.... and here I am trying to lose all of that and some once again. BUT this time with exercise.

Were you able to keep your weight off? I mean what made you gain your weight.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Last summer I lost roughly 40lbs from May until August by keeping my calorie intake to about 1200 a day (I was drinking heavily, on a almost daily basis, and probably could have lost a lot more). I gained it all back after starting the fall semester.... and here I am trying to lose all of that and some once again. BUT this time with exercise.

Were you able to keep your weight off? I mean what made you gain your weight.

you gain weight when you eat surplus...pretty simple

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I need to be at 1200 to lose (I am very petite). What makes a difference in how I feel whether at 1200 or higher (if I am maintaining) is what I choose to fill those calories with. I have to be smart with my choices so I feel satisfied and do a lot of egg/egg white fritattas, veggies and some fruit. I can blow it up by having a slice of Corner Bakery Cinnamon Crumb cake (500+ calories) at an office breakfast though. It does not fill me up and blows through a good chunk of my calories for the day.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    nicnacks24 wrote: »
    Eating 1200 for an extended period of time will back fire once you begin to eat "normally" again. Your body goes into starvation mode and becomes accustomed to eating so little a day, thus you stop losing weight. Your body will burn your muscle when you eat so little and hold on to the fat because it feels you are starving it. The body really sees no need for muscle which is why it is burned first in low deficits. If you only have 30 lbs to lose you should try losing it slowly and in a more sustainable way. Quick fixes rarely work and often lead a person to gain all the weight back and then some.

I smell a troll . . .

I don't think you know what a troll is. Just because someone is sharing misinformation, it doesn't mean they're trolling. They might legitimately believe it to be true.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Also, the activity level you select affects the calories MFP sets for you, but if you select "workout 3x/wk" and you don't have that level of activity you will be eating more than your activity burns.

If I am understanding this correctly, it's wrong.

MFP uses only your level of activity for daily life, WITHOUT exercise, until you enter it as you do it. Choosing "workout 3x/wk," or any other variation, will not affect your calorie goal. It is just a personal goal for the user to enter. You won't be eating more than your daily activity burns if you eat to your calorie goal [provided your daily activity level, and food logging, are correct] and don't workout at all, even though your "goal" is 3x a week.

If you meant to say something else, then nevermind.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Also, the activity level you select affects the calories MFP sets for you, but if you select "workout 3x/wk" and you don't have that level of activity you will be eating more than your activity burns.

If I am understanding this correctly, it's wrong.

MFP uses only your level of activity for daily life, WITHOUT exercise, until you enter it as you do it. Choosing "workout 3x/wk," or any other variation, will not affect your calorie goal. It is just a personal goal for the user to enter. You won't be eating more than your daily activity burns if you eat to your calorie goal [provided your daily activity level, and food logging, are correct] and don't workout at all, even though your "goal" is 3x a week.

If you meant to say something else, then nevermind.

Sorry, you're right. I meant the radio buttons for Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, and Very Active. Those change the calorie allotment. The "how many times do you plan to exercise" is just a goal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    I'm netting 1250 calories ... and so far I've lost just over 14 kg.
  • Bqueen1995
    Bqueen1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    nicnacks24 wrote: »
    Eating 1200 for an extended period of time will back fire once you begin to eat "normally" again. Your body goes into starvation mode and becomes accustomed to eating so little a day, thus you stop losing weight. Your body will burn your muscle when you eat so little and hold on to the fat because it feels you are starving it. The body really sees no need for muscle which is why it is burned first in low deficits. If you only have 30 lbs to lose you should try losing it slowly and in a more sustainable way. Quick fixes rarely work and often lead a person to gain all the weight back and then some.

I smell a troll . . .

I don't think you know what a troll is. Just because someone is sharing misinformation, it doesn't mean they're trolling. They might legitimately believe it to be true.

Thank you for your kind advice.