weight loss stalled...increase or decrease calories?

Options
Hi everyone,

It seems like the last few weeks the only movement I have seen on my scale is up, even though it's only less than 1/2 pound. If it was just a week it would be fine but since it seems like I've been losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds I feel like something needs to change. I am 5'4" and 130. My TDEE -20% is about 1675 so I've been eating about 1600 calories a day. I also run about 3.5 miles a day. When I was eating 1200 calories a day I hit a plateau for about a month so when I upped my calories I lost about seven more pounds. What I'm wondering is should I go up a bit or come down? I'm eight pounds away from my goal so I'm wondering if I should do TDEE -15% instead.

Thank you!

Replies

• mandy4d
    mandy4d Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories by about 1000 more a day for about a week and then when you go back to your old calorie, it should help you lose again. I was told that by a few people and a doctor. I haven't gotten to that point, myself, but it is supposed to help.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, this is just my personal opinion from reading a lot.

With only a few pounds left to goal, you are probably better off increasing to your TDEG to TDEE less 10-15%.

The way to do this I believe is to raise your TDEG slowly by 50 calories per day for a week, and then up again, so that your body gets used to it, not just go up by 200 calories all in one go.

This is the same as reverse dieting, when you do get to your goal - increase slowly until you get up to TDEE and find out the final number that is right for you.

Also remember that the number on the scale is not a complete indication of success, that your clothes and size is a better reflection of where you want to be.

All the best!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'd day go up, especially if you're running that much. Your body may need more fuel
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    At 8 pounds from your goal, 20% is likely too big a cut. Try moving to a 5% cut, and accept that it's going to take a while to cut that last bit.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses, I really do appreciate them! I'll go up to TDEE -15% and slowly go up to -10% over the next few weeks and hope that works. Thanks again!