What do you believe about a healthy lifestyle?

Options
I've realized a few things while making the choices to eat healthy and exercise:

1. If I don't do it 100% I'm never going to lose. I can't just say, "Today I'm going to eat whatever I want."
It doesn't work when I do that. I end up giving up and gaining back the weight.

2. The number doesn't actually matter. Yes, I weigh myself often, and yes, I get upset when the number goes up. But if I feel good, and my clothes are fitting better, then why does the number matter?

3. I have to want it. I can't do this because of anyone else. I can't do this because the BF bribed me. I can do it to prove someone wrong perhaps, because then it is still about me. I still have a bet with the BF, and I'm going to stick to it, but not because of him; because I chose to be committed to this change and I get to stick with my commitments.

4. (Kind of still part 2 of number 3.) if I am choosing this, then I get to be committed every day. If I have a goal for the day or week, I get to accomplish it. I have this friend who told me she was committed to working out 3 times this week, and every day made an excuse. She said she didn't even have time for a quick walk. Now that is about her, and not about me. I'm not judging her, it's her story and her life. But if I want it, I get to do it. I get to make the decision every day to live this lifestyle and make these changes in my life.

5. I have the power to be anyone I want to be. I have the choices and the opportunity. It is all a matter of making the commitment, being my word, and working hard. TODAY I AM DOING IT!

What are your realizations and/or beliefs since you started this journey?

Replies

• agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great thread!

The biggest one for me has been that I don't have "cheat" days anymore.

When I go out and have a burger or tater tots or pizza or some decadent dessert it isn't a "cheat", it's a "treat". Even if it ends up putting me slightly over my calories I have come to realize that there is such negative connotations with the word, and the idea, of cheating. And if I cheat, I have to feel bad. If I cheat, I "fell off the wagon" and it's like starting over.

With treats, it's just part of my life. I had ice cream! Great! It was tasty and man, I enjoyed it. The next day I make decisions that are healthier for my body overall and stick closer to my macros. But I don't beat myself up for that ice cream or feel like I have to make up for it. It happened, it was great, now today's a new day. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to treat myself too, but for the most part I'm cooking and eating good, healthy food.

This mindset is really helping me maintain this as a lifestyle instead of just another diet. I'm 59 days in and 20lbs down. I don't feel like I'm on a diet or that I'm telling myself constantly "you can't have that" or "you have to work out". It's just become a day to day change that I could really live with for the rest of my life.

I finally get it!