Would you share your knee-sleeves (or other gym equipment)?

Options
So today at the gym I saw a kid, probably 17-18, doing some DL work with his dad coaching. He looked pretty good, was doing sets of 3 at 335 I think it was. Anyway, when he was done he took his knee sleeves off and gave them to him mother who then put them on to start her own workout.

I was fully skeeved out! I can only imagine how sweaty that *kitten* was before she put them on. Maybe I am a germaphobe but I would NEVER!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Ugh, no. When I started lifting I wouldn't even use the gyms pad for the bar when I did squats. I preferred to just hurt.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    kinda gross, but i've seen couples share that stuff before, because it can be expensive to outfit everyone. I dont share my stuff
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've both borrowed and lent out belts. Didn't bother me either way. I've borrowed wrist wraps when I've forgotten mine and other then they just didn't feel right, didn't bother me.

Knee sleeves, nope. Wouldn't do it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I don't use any of that jazz but no I wouldnt.
    sleeves, bar pad, no.
    wrist wraps or a belt probably
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Never! I watch the professional tennis players take off their sweat bands and throw them into the crowd. People actually reach out for them! I would duck. And, if it did hit me, I would throw it back and I would not miss!
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't know. I probably would share with a family member, but other people, probably not.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Well, my first thought it no way, but as a mom, I have let my kid put half eaten cheerios in my mouth when she was a toddler, and I still lick her ice cream for her so that it doesn't drip, so....maybe my kid's.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    With immediate family? Sure. Your mom birthed you, wiped your *kitten*, cleaned your vomit, and smiled the whole time (Or, most of the time). A little sweat ain't no thang.

Your spouse? You've traded sweat more than once, in all likelihood. So, 'nuff said there.

With someone not in immediate family? Nope.
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No, but only because sharing gym stuff and being the second person to wear it, drenched in sweat...? That would not work for me. Even if you just rinsed it in water. That wet feeling on me would bug me to no end. AND IT'S SWEAT!!! I'll pass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    With my mother? Of course. With some random stranger? Probably not. Unless they wanted sloppy seconds I suppose.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am always surprised at how many people will take a random set of earbuds and use them without question. We usually have several pairs that we find laying around at the end of the day and we keep them at the fitness desk. When members forget their own, they ask to borrow them for the day. Some are members who obsessively wipe off equipment before they use it, or wrap wipes around the handles of strength machines while they use them. But they think nothing about putting someone else's skeezy earbuds in their ears. Always makes me laugh-we humans are so weird.
  • Cchioles
    Cchioles Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Eh No Thanks Lol
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If it's all you've got available and you need it - sure, why not?

You could always go and wash after your last set, it's not like it's going to kill you. When did everyone turn into such a bunch of p*u*s*s*i*e*s?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Family member? Sure. Anyone else? Nope.

BTW, I love the picture of this family (Mom, Dad, teenager) working out together.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    your cell phone and key board has more germs than most gas station toilets- That being said no one touches my stuff!!

https://www.phonesoap.com/how-dirty-are-cell-phones/
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    If it was a close family member I would share. I lent my lifting gloves to a young lad yesterday who was trying to do pull ups (he was only about 13 and was obviously just looking around and trying to do what everyone else was doing. I showed him how to do reverse pull ups and lent him my gloves - I figure the gym is a good place for a young impressionable lad and he needed the encouragement)

I bought my own boxing gloves and pads because I couldn't stand putting my hands into the bog that is the gym gloves. I only share them with my boxing partner if necessary and he drips sweat all over me when we train anyway!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    With a random stranger or a friends probably not. But, when it comes to parents and kids, it is different. I would not share something covered in sweat with my husband, but I have wiped my kids bottoms, had them vomit on me, poop on me and other cute things, so their sweat is not really going to scare me :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not a germaphobe and my family does not have cooties, so why not?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I wear tights 3/4 length on leg day cuz I don't like rolling everyone else's sweat on my legs.

Definitely not!!!

No sharing of bodily fluids please...

If it's wet and not yours, don't touch it

Words of safety classes to live by!

Ha!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    With immediate family? Sure. Your mom birthed you, wiped your *kitten*, cleaned your vomit, and smiled the whole time (Or, most of the time). A little sweat ain't no thang.

Your spouse? You've traded sweat more than once, in all likelihood. So, 'nuff said there.

With someone not in immediate family? Nope.

Sounds about right.

If there is a word for the opposite of a germophobe, I'm probably that, so I do get why people would find sharing this stuff gross, but my gross-threshold is pretty high.