calories in kabocha squash

Options
bezlooney
bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
There seems to be big differences in the calories per gram and i want to know the correct amt. I found anywere from 45cal per 100grams, 130cal per 100g, and others. Please tell me the correct one to log.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Raw or cooked? The calories would be a little different.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I've seen it anywhere from 45 to 91 calories per 100g raw. I personally would log it at 91 calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I eat butternut squash which is similar to your squash (they are both winter squashes) and use the 40 calories for 100 grams of cooked squash.
    Forty calorie is consistent with the U.S.D.A. number for Acorn Squash (another winter squash).
    (Perhaps the cooked/uncooked difference is minimal.)
    http://snap.nal.usda.gov/nutrition-through-seasons/seasonal-produce/winter-squash
  • bezlooney
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Raw or cooked? The calories would be a little different.

Raw, i always look up the amt. Raw and still get very different amts.
  • bezlooney
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    I've seen it anywhere from 45 to 91 calories per 100g raw. I personally would log it at 91 calories.

Thanks. I will use this number. I would like to think its the 45calories for 100grams raw but that seems way to good to be true. I figured it was closer to what a sweet potatoe has sonce its sweeter and starchier than butternut and acorn squash.
  • bezlooney
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I eat butternut squash which is similar to your squash (they are both winter squashes) and use the 40 calories for 100 grams of cooked squash.
    Forty calorie is consistent with the U.S.D.A. number for Acorn Squash (another winter squash).
    (Perhaps the cooked/uncooked difference is minimal.)
    http://snap.nal.usda.gov/nutrition-through-seasons/seasonal-produce/winter-squash

Kabocha is so much starchier and sweeter though. 40 calories seems to good to be true and i eat kabocha almost everyday so i dont want to under log it. ( im addicted to this squash)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When in doubt always go with the higher number.
  • bezlooney
    Options
    When in doubt always go with the higher number.

Good advice!