Is it possible to lose 100 pounds in 10 months?

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    You can sustain that level of loss for a while, but once you get closer to your goal weight, you'll likely have to make adjustments, as the calorie deficit to required to get that kind of loss will become more and more significant.

JD has yoda power. She's right, the closer you get to your goal weight the slower it will come off. 2.5lbs loss a week closer to your goal weight is unreasonable. So no, i don't think it's realistic. If you're 200-300lbs over weight then yeah it reasonable, but you're not in that situation. In other words, your weight loss will slow down over time.

I keep saying that my goal is:

1. 250 lbs to 150 lbs = 2.5 lbs per week
    2. 150 lbs to 130 lbs = .5 lb per week

Is that not reasonable? That is a major slow down isn't it? Each phase will be 10 months for a total of 20 months. To lose 120 pounds...i would think that is reasonable. The last 10 months I can tinker with calories as I get closer to my ultimate goal of 130. That way I'll know exactly what it will take to keep me at that weight.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited June 2015
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    You can sustain that level of loss for a while, but once you get closer to your goal weight, you'll likely have to make adjustments, as the calorie deficit to required to get that kind of loss will become more and more significant.

JD has yoda power. She's right, the closer you get to your goal weight the slower it will come off. 2.5lbs loss a week closer to your goal weight is unreasonable. So no, i don't think it's realistic. If you're 200-300lbs over weight then yeah it reasonable, but you're not in that situation. In other words, your weight loss will slow down over time.

Is that not reasonable?

I think you'll find your 2.5 lb / week target relatively easy at the outset, but once you get down under 180-200, it will be more challenging, and you may need to taper down sooner.

You'll know when you get there, your body will tell you. If you are going too quickly, there will be signs, such as fatigue.
    I had to throttle back my loss rate a few times. Listen to your body.
  • Bshmerlie
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think this is very possible however you'll find as you start to get lighter your weight loss will start mellowing out due to building lean muscle which weighs more than fat - so definitely don't get worried if the amount you're losing starts to slow down. Progress photos will help reinforce motivation! :)

And where would she be getting this additional lean muscle from?

I see no information on following a progressive resistance programme whilst eating around maintenance or above and focusing on the appropriate macros

Quite the reverse will happen ...the faster her weight loss the higher proportion of LBM she will be losing within each pound of scale weight

I know I haven't talked about it here but I am already doing a progressive resistance program. I'm doing Strong Lifts. I do understand that I'm not gonna be building any real muscle during the more aggressive first phase of my plan. But during the second half I'm gonna really focus on toning and firming rather than a bunch of cardio like in the first half.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Is that not reasonable? That is a major slow down isn't it? Each phase will be 10 months for a total of 20 months. To lose 120 pounds...i would think that is reasonable. The last 10 months I can tinker with calories as I get closer to my ultimate goal of 130. That way I'll know exactly what it will take to keep me at that weight.

I don't get the cut off

Why at 150lbs

Why not say to yourself whilst I'm in obese category I can aim for, and sustain this higher goal ...but if I start to find it challenging / taxing / painful, if I'm beginning to lose commitment I can adjust it and eat more calories

It is the strictures of this is what I will do for the next x months that concern me...seems like you're setting yourself up to fail with a fixed deadline and a progression of this is what I will lose

Because whatever you do weight loss isn't linear...what happens in the weeks when you stall out or increase weight due to water weight...what about if you have a day of pigging out

You're human not an automaton..you will get it wrong sometimes but that won't mean failure, that will mean learning a new lesson and you will cope better next time

And as you get closer to what you perceive your scale weight goal is you may well change your mind on your final goal

In it for life, try to just learn from and enjoy the journey ...CICO is adjustable

• Bshmerlie
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why?

What would happen if you did it in a sustainable way, focusing on how you will cope at maintenance, building habits for then

Because fierce and fast leads to crash and burn more often than not

Yeah...I can see why you think I'm gonna crash and burn but I'm gonna be taking 10 months going from 150 to 130 which should give me plenty of time for building habits when it comes time for maintenance.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Number 2 is reasonable, number 1 isn't, for all the reasons people have pointed out to you. Two and a half pounds a week is pretty aggressive for the lower end on your first stage, and I actually doubt you'd be able to do it and still net 1200 cals a day.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    flatlndr wrote: »
    Yes you can but you have to be really disciplined.

Having done it - from 279 to 175 in 9 months - it can be done, but you have to be incredibly focused ... one might say obsessed.

That's about right. Doable, but it will require a very high level of discipline.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    edited June 2015

I spent about an hour writing a reply. I did a ton of math, even some integrated calculus trying to find a "reasonable" answer for you. The post got real lengthy. I made some assumptions, you're a woman of average height 5'5'' , 60% body fat. To avoid being asked how i came to that conclusion. I assumed you want to be at a healthy weight which is roughly 22% body fat and the weight you want to lose. I also assumed that you're sedentary. If this is the case your metabolic rate would drop at a rate of 5cals per day for every lbs you lose. In the post I deleted I also recommended dropping your calories by 2.5 for every lbs you lose. If you lose 10lbs drop your calories by 25 calories to compensate for the metabolic drop(2.5*10 = 25)

Before I forget(I have ADD) you can't equate yourself to the guy above who said he lost a lot of weight in i think he said 9 months. He's bigger, he has a higher metabolic rate, he can handle a bigger deficit as well. When I came to mfp i lost 50lbs before i joined, and i dropped 20lbs in 3 weeks after joining. Is that realistic for you or anyone else? No, when I joined i was at 350lbs

But throwing out the heavy math out the window, the most realistic and reasonable approach for you would be something like this. Eat about 1,300 calories a day, burn about 300 calories per workout 5x a week. Don't eat calories back doing this method. As your fitness improves go for bigger burns but keep calories constant. This will offset the metabolic drop. Oh is 2.5 lbs a week reasonable for you, no. If you're taller than what i am assuming, if you're like 5'8 or something, then possibly.

As the "guy above", I've been thinking about my response, and I've come to the same conclusion. I did have a bigger room room for deficit, had higher start and end points, and exercised my tail off.

I too think the OP should scale back her expectations.

Note that I did not set out to lose the weight that quickly. I had a 2 year plan. But things just worked very well for me ... and like I alluded to, I was very focused/obsessed during that period.

ETA: I would say my program was aggressive and my results were atypical. OP, please consider at least a 2 year timeline.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    You won't keep losing at that rate. You're eating at 1200 calories now to get your rate of loss, eventually, the numbers are going to catch up to you.

You're obviously too short to have wiggle room to lower your calories further as your weight drops to sustain the same percentage of deficit. If your current deficit has you at the rock bottom of recommended caloric intake for a woman, the only way to increase your deficit as your weight drops is through increased activity.

How long will you sustain that? Speaking from experience, it doesn't take long for those calories to drop from your allowance either. I've lost 43 pounds. I started with an allowance of 1320 calories to lose a pound and a half a week. I'm down to 1200 to lose a pound a week. I'm 61.5" tall.

The numbers just aren't in your favor, sorry.
  • PeachyCarol
    billiejaime, how tall are you? She's already at 1200 calories. Tell me exactly how she can keep eating the same exact amount the whole time and losing at the same rate.

I'll wait.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member

Why? If you can handle 2.5 lbs through 150 lbs, there's no reason why you can't handle 2 lbs through 130 lbs. Though 1.3 lbs per week seems more realistic as you approach your goal.
  • PeachyCarol
    billiejaime, how tall are you? She's already at 1200 calories. Tell me exactly how she can keep eating the same exact amount the whole time and losing at the same rate.

I'll wait.

I am 5'3''

There are many things she can do I already think 1200 is too low as it is. At 250 to lose 2.5 lbs per week with the amount of excersie she says she does she should be eating more and be able to lose 2.5 lbws a week.

Hmmmm... she's older than you, though. And if she's shorter? OP, how tall are you? That might be what she needs to eat to get the rate of loss she's shooting for. She can't get around the math.

• PeachyCarol

Why? If you can handle 2.5 lbs through 150 lbs, there's no reason why you can't handle 2 lbs through 130 lbs. Though 1.3 lbs per week seems more realistic as you approach your goal.

No. She's eating 1200 calories NOW. There is no way she could create a deficit to lose weight at the rate of 2 pounds a week when she's at 130 pounds. Look at the data before you give bad advice.

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015

No. She's eating 1200 calories NOW. There is no way she could create a deficit to lose weight at the rate of 2 pounds a week when she's at 130 pounds. Look at the data before you give bad advice.

ok IF you READ my advice BEFORE you called it BAD i told her ONCE she got down to 150 she should adjust her rate of loss to .5 per week

How ever at her size NOW (250-150) yes her goal is do able

I think YOU should read ALL of peoples advice before YOU react

I wasn't posting in response to you? That was a reply to TimothyFish.