Should I see a doctor?

Options
Last Friday after work I was doing Zumba and while I was doing some squats and lunges I felt a sharp pain in my knee. I brushed it off and put on a knee support I had brought a while Back.

It didn't give me trouble Saturday until I started walking a lot ( I was out shopping) my left knee hurt more than my right but they both hurt. Just recently I am starting to put weight on my left knee vs all the weight on my right. It is getting better I believe.

But it's been a week and I am still having problems. I am on my feet a lot at work and do a lot of bending, lifting, kneeling, and squating. I work at a daycare. So I can't really rest my knee like I should. I had to put my knee support on today, I haven't done so in about 2-3 days. It was giving me trouble after work

** sorry so detailed

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you can get into see the doctor it might be a good idea.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you can't do that at least take a sick day to put up your leg and don't move around too much. It should be better in a day.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TL:DR...didn't need to. Hellz yes you should see a doctor. March your tight little zumba bottom into the Dr's office right after you call to make sure you're getting an appointment with a hot young single male Dr. Then when you're there proceed to show him exactly the zumba move that put you in that condition and make sure it involves bending in some way. Then when you're done seeing the Dr. you can start seeing the doctor and live happily ever after. Girl, you need a godmother to help teach you how to take advantage of opportunities like this. I hope you know what to do when pulled over by handsome cops too? If not PM me, I have no mentee's right now, all the girls I know are already too smart for their own good, so I would be happy to take you under my wing right now. I have an opening.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go to the doc. Better safe than sorry. If you have damaged something and ignore it your recovery time will increase.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a trip to the orthopedist is in your future. If you have been taking ibuprofen and resting it the last few days and still have sharp pain or giving way, then you need to see the doc.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yes'
  • Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the input. I am going to see how it goes this weekend and by the middle of next week I will make a decision. I don't want to pay "out of pocket" for a trip to the dr just for him to tell me rest n take Tylenol for pain.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Have you tried ice on it? That might help with the pain and if it's swollen, just a thought.

Hope it feels better soon... :happy:

oh and another thing that helps me is to keep it elevated when I'm able..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Last Friday after work I was doing Zumba and while I was doing some squats and lunges I felt a sharp pain in my knee. I brushed it off and put on a knee support I had brought a while Back.

It didn't give me trouble Saturday until I started walking a lot ( I was out shopping) my left knee hurt more than my right but they both hurt. Just recently I am starting to put weight on my left knee vs all the weight on my right. It is getting better I believe.

But it's been a week and I am still having problems. I am on my feet a lot at work and do a lot of bending, lifting, kneeling, and squating. I work at a daycare. So I can't really rest my knee like I should. I had to put my knee support on today, I haven't done so in about 2-3 days. It was giving me trouble after work

** sorry so detailed
    See a orthopedist as soon as you can. And Zumba may not be for you. The quick turns (especially with the wrong shoes) can torque the knee greatly. That torquing could have been the reason for the pain during squats and lunges.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

But it's been a week and I am still having problems. I am on my feet a lot at work and do a lot of bending, lifting, kneeling, and squatting. I work at a daycare. So I can't really rest my knee like I should. I had to put my knee support on today, I haven't done so in about 2-3 days. It was giving me trouble after work

** sorry so detailed
    See a orthopedist as soon as you can. And Zumba may not be for you. The quick turns (especially with the wrong shoes) can torque the knee greatly. That torquing could have been the reason for the pain during squats and lunges.

IDEA Fitness member
    Thank you for adding this... I'll take this advice myself, appreciate you commenting. I've not myself tried it and really want to but am a bit nervous for this very reason.

OP.. hopefully this doesn't feel like a hi-jack.:blushing: ..

I merely wanted to comment as it's a good piece of advice for so many of us that want to try something but it just might not be for us. :cry: :wink:
    TL:DR...didn't need to. Hellz yes you should see a doctor. March your tight little zumba bottom into the Dr's office right after you call to make sure you're getting an appointment with a hot young single male Dr. Then when you're there proceed to show him exactly the zumba move that put you in that condition and make sure it involves bending in some way. Then when you're done seeing the Dr. you can start seeing the doctor and live happily ever after. Girl, you need a godmother to help teach you how to take advantage of opportunities like this. I hope you know what to do when pulled over by handsome cops too? If not PM me, I have no mentee's right now, all the girls I know are already too smart for their own good, so I would be happy to take you under my wing right now. I have an opening.
    You post made me smile!!!:laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Doctors tend to get mildly upset with patients that tell them they have been in pain for a week or more before going to see them.
    Just imagine the look I got when how long i had shoulder pain and I said 4+ years. :bigsmile:

Get there now. Got the message?:laugh:
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would really get it looked at asap.

I injured mine last year doing Jillian Michaels DVD, the squats must have been too much for my totally unfit body. I rested it, it went away eventually, but a year later it still gets sore sometimes if I squat. I should book myself for a physio too, no excuse leaving it so long.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    This is also why working with a real person when starting a new routine is beneficial. A good personal trainer will not pull a JM on you. They won't push you to injury.
  • Journey2newwomen
    Options

** sorry so detailed

IDEA Fitness member

i wasn't wearing shoes.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yes please. The sooner the better.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    YES! if you had to ask you should go even if it will just ease your mind
  • Journey2newwomen
    Options
    Update: I did not go to the dr. Instead I started taking ibprophen(sp?), wearing my knee brace and just relaxing. I feel much better and most of the pain is goin. All I am left with is a cracking/popping noise when I walk
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I would go to the emergency room and get an x-ray or an MRI. If money is an issue, tell the hospital that --- their finance office will allow you to make payments or waive part of the fee.

When you are in pain and take pain meds like ibuprofen, you are masking the pain. The injury is still there. The pain is a message from your body that something is wrong. I would never, never take pain pills to mask an injury so I could keep up regular activity. You could seriously harm yourself and make an injury much worse.