Too embarrassed to run....?

Options
I feel so silly when I try to get out and run down my road. First off, im overweight so I know that anyone who sees me running is thinking "she needs to be running!" And when I try to jog or run, I feel like i run like a hippopotamus! Lol i just dont have super great coordination when it comes to running and I can't run for long distances so I feel embarrassed when I only run for 30 seconds and then stop because the people I see running are those who run for ever and never walk. All in all, im embarrassed to run. Is there anyone else who has been through or going through the same thing? I would love to know how you dealt or are dealing with it (: Please no negative comments! Thanks!! (:

Replies

• pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You don't know what everyone is thinking. Frankly, when I see people out running - no matter their weight - I think either a) hey, good for you or b) ignore them completely. IF anyone thinks poorly of you for trying to improve yourself, they must live a sad, sad life. Can you try running somewhere else with more crossroads? Sometimes I'll run at the big local cemetery (everyone does it, don't hate) where there are tons of little roads so if I see people ahead, I can just turn to avoid them.

Also, don't worry about only running for 30 seconds. Look up a C25K (couch 2 5K) program and follow it so you can increase your endurance. Again, don't worry about what other people think. If you pass them during your walk breaks and feel bad, just think...they don't know if you just ran 30 seconds or 30 minutes. They shouldn't judge.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have found that people who are runners, really any people who actively exercise themselves in any form, are encouraging and will not say anything negative. My biggest cheerleaders are my fit friends because they sincerely like seeing people trying to make positive changes.

Will you get comments? Maybe. But you can't let that effect or stop you. Regardless of what you think you look like - what you TRULY look like is someone taking charge of her health. Go for it, for 30 seconds, for a minute, for however long you can. You can do this!!
  • heathergarland2013
    heathergarland2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You don't know what everyone is thinking. Frankly, when I see people out running - no matter their weight - I think either a) hey, good for you or b) ignore them completely. IF anyone thinks poorly of you for trying to improve yourself, they must live a sad, sad life. Can you try running somewhere else with more crossroads? Sometimes I'll run at the big local cemetery (everyone does it, don't hate) where there are tons of little roads so if I see people ahead, I can just turn to avoid them.

Also, don't worry about only running for 30 seconds. Look up a C25K (couch 2 5K) program and follow it so you can increase your endurance. Again, don't worry about what other people think. If you pass them during your walk breaks and feel bad, just think...they don't know if you just ran 30 seconds or 30 minutes. They shouldn't judge.

Thank you! I know I shouldn't worry what others think but my weight has always been what I'm self conscience about! Thank you, though! This really helped! (:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this once. While it would be nice to be the trim blonde with the flippy ponytail and the $65.00 skintight Nike tank top, making it look easy, I'm just not.
    But I've noticed that, in general, no one cares what I'm doing. If anyone notices me, at least they have thusfar kept their traps shut.
  • jakbreckon
    jakbreckon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere! You are running more than someone sitting on the couch! Just keep trying and you will be able to run longer and faster. I use Mapmyrun to show me I am getting faster/ able to run longer. Don't worry what other people think, if you keep it up you will be passing people! Good job!
  • heathergarland2013
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    I have found that people who are runners, really any people who actively exercise themselves in any form, are encouraging and will not say anything negative. My biggest cheerleaders are my fit friends because they sincerely like seeing people trying to make positive changes.

Will you get comments? Maybe. But you can't let that effect or stop you. Regardless of what you think you look like - what you TRULY look like is someone taking charge of her health. Go for it, for 30 seconds, for a minute, for however long you can. You can do this!!

Thank you!! I really appreciate it! (:
  • heathergarland2013
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this once. While it would be nice to be the trim blonde with the flippy ponytail and the $65.00 skintight Nike tank top, making it look easy, I'm just not.
    But I've noticed that, in general, no one cares what I'm doing. If anyone notices me, at least they have thusfar kept their traps shut.

Lol! I guess i have been comparing myself to that "perfect runner girl" a lot which may be the reason im so reluctant to run... lol thank you!
  • heathergarland2013
    Options
    jakbreckon wrote: »
    Everyone starts somewhere! You are running more than someone sitting on the couch! Just keep trying and you will be able to run longer and faster. I use Mapmyrun to show me I am getting faster/ able to run longer. Don't worry what other people think, if you keep it up you will be passing people! Good job!

Thank you! You've really helped to motivate me !!! (:
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »

Co-sign the bolded. I can't promise you no one is going to honk or yell things (it's happened to me all over the BMI chart), but you're not being judged like you think you will be. And I could barely run at the beginning of the year, when I decided to start running (about 2 minutes). Now I go 45 minutes 3-4 days a week.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Just walk at this point in time vs risking your health by running.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Trust me, the only people who would judge you for turning your life around are people who don't matter! Do it for yourself, it's your body and your quality of life and Keep at it.. as time goes by people will look at you, think to themselves "damn I wish I could do that"
    Get a skipping rope that counts how many skips you have done, start off doing 50 skips x 10 .. If you can't finish, don't worry keep at it and eventually you'll be able to do it for longer! (A little cardio you can do in your own home)
  • heathergarland2013
    Options
    Thank y'all so much! You've all really encouraged me! I shouldn't care what others think at all! You guys are awesome!! (:
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 52 years old and just lost 130 lbs over the last 2 years and began running last year. The weight loss benefits are great if you stick with it. I LOVE it! Getting ready to train for my first 5K in October. Stay strong and #nevergiveup!!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone is self-conscious about running, I suggest they watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HuqNdQJSTY

If someone makes comments, about whatever, that's THEIR problem, don't make it yours. Any decent human being is going to admire you for getting out there. And if they're not a decent person, who the heck cares what they think! You're doing something good for your body, your health and your future. You should be proud! :smiley:
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the "Couch to 5K" program? It is just a method of starting slow -- mostly walking with short bursts of running -- and then moving up to running a bit more and a bit more until you are running a 5K. I mention it because you might find that doing something that is part of a planned program will make it feel more "legitimate" when you have to stop to walk. I am doing it and I find it helps. If I happen to see someone when I am shifting from running to walking I think "I'm supposed to do this. If they knew they would know it is not just because I am slacking off." And I feel less self conscious. Google C25K. You can download an app to your phone (that is what I did) or you can just print out the instructions and follow it on your own.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I was 125 pounds and I ran 5 miles a day and I never stopped for a break until I was done. But when I did see a larger person running I actually remember thinking to myself how awesome it was that they were out there running. I remember thinking to myself if I had 100 pounds extra to carry how far could I get. So now here I am 25 years later carrying that extra 100 pounds. So NO I don't think anyone's looking down on you they're just trying to imagine if they could do that. True runners understand the commitment it takes to build up endurance to run long distances and none of them got there in a day. Even when I was 125 pounds it took a very long time before I got to a quick 5 mile pace. Trust me the true runners aren't judging you one bit.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    The only way too get better at running is... To run!

It feels so foreign and silly at first but it gets more natural and you find your rhythm. Don't worry :) don't waste time caring about who sees. Not worth the time!
  • jkdodd1206
    jkdodd1206 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the same reason...my wife and I started doing our walking/running (with the C25K app) at night:-) it worked great for us.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I live in a small neighborhood where the entire walk is a little over a mile. When I first moved here nearly ten years ago, I walked but felt stupid, and it didn't last long. Nearly a year ago I got a dog. While walking the dog, I found out that nearly half my neighbors have indoor dogs, as they bark every time I and my dog walk past their house. I love my dog, but sheesh! he costs a LOT of money! Although I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world, I wish I had offered to walk the neighbors' dogs instead. When walking a dog, it's like you have a purpose.
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have three dog and do 2hr walking with them each day. I'd love to be able to run with them, they are greyhounds so they would enjoy it too! But like you I lack the confidence an worry what people would say! I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it! In sure after a few times I won't bother me what people think!