What made you want to loose weight.

Options
Jrnegrl66
Jrnegrl66 Posts: 3 Member
With the age of 50 creeping up on me... I decided I was gonna be 50 & fabulous and in the best shape of my life! Well I'll be 49 next month & have lost 50lbs! It's taken me 18 months slow & steady still not at my goal weight but better than where I started! :) Here's to never giving up!!!

Replies

• satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    great achievement! My wife became pregnant and i was looking pregnant too :) with a big flat round tummy. I decided to change that. Have a goal to turn the same flab into abs :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Jrnegrl66 wrote: »
    With the age of 50 creeping up on me... I decided I was gonna be 50 & fabulous and in the best shape of my life! Well I'll be 49 next month & have lost 50lbs! It's taken me 18 months slow & steady still not at my goal weight but better than where I started! :) Here's to never giving up!!!

Congrats, and yay you!

I'm getting close to 50 too.

I quit smoking on May 1, 2014, and I just kept feeling better and better, and MFP was a progression of wanting to get healthy sensibly.

I've lost 16 lbs in 2 months, and I'm feeling terrific!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Good job

Well done

We are about the same ..age and weight loss but I hit my goal 6 lbs ago ...

Why? I put it in my profile

I want to beat my son at push-ups
    I want my daughter to want to be strong and fit like her mum
    I want to grow old kicking and fighting

And tbh I really enjoy the confidence that comes with feeling 20 years younger and turning heads in the street again :blush::bigsmile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I was around 50 as well when I decided to lose the excess weight I had carried around since a serious knee injury when I was 31. There was an element of "it's now or never" at 50 - neither of my parents had a long and healthy retirement with my Mum particularly restricted by a massive heart attack. So health is a big motivator for me.

But it also coincided with finding a way to manage a chronic back condition and a bout of quinsy which effectively stopped me eating for several days. The inevitable weight loss through not being able to eat for a few days stripped away all the excuses I had made about blaming the person who wrecked my knee for causing me to be fat. Just taking responsibility for how much I ate was the very simple and embarrassingly blindingly obvious key to losing weight.

So now at 55 I'm perhaps in the best shape of my life, healthy, happily maintaining and pushing my fitness to new peaks. Tomorrow I'm aiming to set a new PB for distance cycled in a day so your phrase "never giving up" strikes a chord!
  • Jrnegrl66
    Jrnegrl66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A BIG WOOHOO to all of you! Our personal decision to get healthy & fit at any age is never easy but in our 40's & 50's I truly believe it's much harder! I have 3 daughters two in their mid 20's with no weight issues (yet) & one is 17. I am constantly telling them to get fit, develop a healthy eating habits now & stick with it for in their later years that will be the thing they thank me for the most! Here's to all of us Never Giving Up!!!
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 but honestly I just don't want to let the years go by and then I AM 50 and thinking "well damn. should have done this sooner." I want my outside to reflect who I really am on the inside. I want to feel healthier and I want to set an example for my two younger sisters. I don't want them to start any bad habits like I did because it's always harder to break them then it is to just avoid them completely.