Motivation vs discipline

Options
I just read an interesting article on motivation vs discipline which really resonated with me.

"In summary, motivation is trying to feel like doing stuff. Discipline is doing it even if you don’t feel like it.
You get to feel good afterwards."

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/

and part 2

http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the word "discipline", but agree that emotion follows motion, and that setting up habits helps a lot.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I didn't need to read the articles to know you're right. I've been doing a lot of reading on self-discipline and motivation.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt you need the motivation just to be disciplined? You might not want to do it but the fact is when push comes to shove you make a decision to do it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Exercise and maintenance is more discipline than motivation.... I don't think anyone is always motivated to work out or choose to stick to a calorie goal. It requires discipline to do it consistently. You know you have to do it so you do regardless
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    But you do it because you are motivated when push comes to shove. You ,might feel less like doing it but that doesnt mean deep down you arent motivated to do it, otherwise you simply wouldnt.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    But you do it because you are motivated when push comes to shove. You ,might feel less like doing it but that doesnt mean deep down you arent motivated to do it, otherwise you simply wouldnt.

True - motivation is first. But people often let transient mood dictate what they're going to do, or not do. Planning a schedule and committing to it, no matter what you feel like, helps get past that.

For me it really helps to make everything as convenient as possible. I'd think twice about going to a gym 15 minutes away, but there's no excuse not to go to the one that's 6 mins from my place, and open 24/7. That's made a huge difference for me!