Not eating enough?

If I hear my husband say "starvation mode" one more time this week, I swear I will slap him.

I've had a busy week which has meant lots of walking on a couple days which means lots of fitbit calorie adjustments, and not a lot of time to eat as much as I maybe should. I also started a new workout (JM Ripped in 30), so I know my muscles are freaking o ut anyway.

I've gained weight every single day this week. I've gained a total of nearly 3 pounds. I'm making regular trips to the bathroom, it's no where near TOM, and I weigh everything or its prepackaged and I scan it.

Yesterday for example I only ate 1600 something cals and burned nearly 1200 and gained half a pound!

So is not eating enough a real thing? Just a fluke or still just water weight likely from new workout?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited June 2015
    Soreness from a new workout and perfectly normal weight fluctuations.
    Look for the trend not the day to day numbers.

Search the exercise database for "slapping husband" - don't think it's a big burner but might make you feel better. :smiley:

I can be up 5lbs the day after a long cycle despite a calorie deficit. Weight of food and inflammation.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    mom2ava07 wrote: »
    I've had a busy week which has meant lots of walking on a couple days which means lots of fitbit calorie adjustments, and not a lot of time to eat as much as I maybe should.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories required to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." Sync your Fitbit with Trendweight.com (it's free) to see your trend without the "noise" from water weight.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    I do have negative adjustments enabled but yet never consume any of my fitbit calories. I fluctuate so much it scares me...ah so confusing to me!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    I do have negative adjustments enabled but yet never consume any of my fitbit calories. I fluctuate so much it scares me...ah so confusing to me!

No need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.

The only reason not to eat back all your Fitbit adjustments is if you're not logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Your diary is private, so no one can give you feedback on your logging.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    It says it's set public, so not sure the problem.

I don't log any step based exercises, nor my circuit training type workout DVDs (such as jillian michaels).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    Probably water weight, or maybe eating more salt. Two weeks ago I ate terribly salty hotel food for two nights and had two short flights. Both things always get my weight up a bit. Only now did my weight come down again. It happens. Seriously, if you're not overeating it's most likely water retention related to new workout, too much salt, TOM (argh, I hate this word. Why not just say menstruation?), maybe too little sleep and too much stress, weather change or anything else that might increase water retention.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited June 2015
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I've had a busy week which has meant lots of walking on a couple days which means lots of fitbit calorie adjustments, and not a lot of time to eat as much as I maybe should.

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE—the number of calories required to maintain your current weight. If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight.

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, eating back your Fitbit adjustments means you're eating TDEE minus deficit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." Sync your Fitbit with Trendweight.com (it's free) to see your trend without the "noise" from water weight.

^^ this
    my weight fluctuates by up to 2lbs daily, for me Sun-wed I'm at my highest end of goal range and thu-Sat I'm at the lowest. And all because at the weekends I enjoy a takeout and some sugary snacks. I don't let the fluctuations bother me. Pick a goal range of +/-3-5lbs and if you go over your higher range then its time to adjust those cals.