Calorie Range?

Options
I have recently joined MFP! I was on Spark People a number of years ago and remember there being a calorie "range". I was given a calorie target of 1200 calories on MFP and "upped" it to 1300 as I didn't think 1200 is enough for me as I have a good amount of weight to lose. My question is, should I aim for 1200 and give myself a range up to 1300 OR aim for 1300 and give myself a range up to 1400? Thank you for your help.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A range of 100 a day could be the difference between losing or gaining weight. I'd lose the "range" idea, except to the extent that meals and days are naturally going to vary for most people, and pick a target that gives you a reasonable deficit and them aim for that target.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    1200 goal (+exercise) may just be because you selected 2lb a week weight loss. Whether that's an appropriate rate or loss for you is impossible to know. You haven't given any information for people to put your question into context.
  • slfranklin60
    slfranklin60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on map and Fitbit for 80 days. Each week i have set myself up for loosin I lb a week. My calories are set at 1480 I live a sedentary life (more weekend activity) I am always 500 less each day cal burned vs intake. Each week I get a Fitbit report of being under 1000 give or take several times over 700 cal. (This is always minus the 3500 in a week) which means I should at least be loosing .5 lbs a week. But I am not. I am in post menopause and have only lost 2 lbs. in 80 days.