Baked beans: good or bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Are baked beans (Heinz) good or bad when trying to maintain a diet designed for fat loss?

Beans are a complex carb

Baked beans often get sugar added for a tasty sauce. They get bacon or something that was bacon in a previous life added in.

The label will tell you.

Your personal nutrient mix and calorie limits are gonna be your guide.

227 calories in a cup of boiled black beans

All dressed up, about 320 calories

Much more tasty. Add 100 calories.

Seems like a good choice if it fits your plan.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have them for breakfast often. They're tasty, low calorie and fill me up til lunch.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    My moms baked beans are amazing: homemade sauce, onions, boppers, hamburger meat, topped with a "crust" of brown sugar and bacon.

Things like that are why I'm on MFP. Haha.

What is a bopper?

Lmao don't ask me how iphone autocorrected peppers to boppers. Must've had a dyslexic moment. :open_mouth:
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How can something that tastes so good, be bad? :O If it fits inside your calorie allotment then it's good, if not then have them another day :) Weight loss is purely about calories. If you're talking about your health then they're not the best food to be consuming, but everything in moderation
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the canned baked beans much, but some of Alton Brown's recipe slow cooked in a dutch oven is the best darned thing next to some pulled pork and homemade potato salad.

It's not low calorie, but oooooh so worth it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.