Food / Nutriton / Diet documentaries, less than worthless?

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
I've come to the conclusion that as much as I've liked documentary films, I think any that is likely to become popular is worthless as an educational tool.
I've seen people here mention ones like Fed Up, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, Super Size Me, Food Inc. All of them have glaring falsehoods in them. All of them sensationalize, and present more simplified explanations and drama than actual facts.
How's everyone else feel?

Replies

• blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes to this ^^^. So often it depends who's funding these films as to what message they want to get across.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree.

I'm struggling through Forks Over Knives currently.
  • senecarr
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I agree.

Isn't that basically The China Study: The Motion Picture?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont really watch them. I did happen to see supersize me and laughed at the bit with detoxing. They are interesting, but I think i can sort fact from fiction. It does draw attention to eating a balanced diet and the problem of obesity though. I did fancy the idea of eating a lot of McDs without the calorie limitation.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I agree.

Isn't that basically The China Study: The Motion Picture?

Yes, it is. No one will watch it with me, since I talk back so much.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Except for Ted talks. All Ted talks are super cool. And short.
    Maybe the vetting is better?
  • shan11180
    shan11180 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think there's good info in all of them, it's just deciphering what is from what isn't, and you also need to know what the heck you want to take away from them... They tend to scare the heck out of me and make me fear food, so I try to stay away, but there's also valuable information that I take away.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I watched Supersize Me.
    I liked it but I'm also somewhat scientific and don't look for reasons to demonize foods for reasons other than I find them disgusting (looking at you Kale)
  • senecarr
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Except for Ted talks. All Ted talks are super cool. And short.
    Maybe the vetting is better?
    Ted Talks are decently vetted. TEDX is ruining the TED brand in a lot of instances because the local groups doing them think just having someone who sounds sciencey or interesting is what TED is about.
  • shan11180
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I dont really watch them. I did happen to see supersize me and laughed at the bit with detoxing. They are interesting, but I think i can sort fact from fiction. It does draw attention to eating a balanced diet and the problem of obesity though. I did fancy the idea of eating a lot of McDs without the calorie limitation.

^^ BaaHaa!!! Made me laugh. :smiley:

Isn't there another one out there that tries to sell the complete opposite idea that Super Size Me is trying to tell us?
  • senecarr
    Options
    shan11180 wrote: »

Isn't there another one out there that tries to sell the complete opposite idea that Super Size Me is trying to tell us?

YES! There was a bodybuilder who did a Super Size Me diet. I think he was on a cut, so he showed that he lost weight on it. He stuck to calorie counting the whole time and continued to work out in comparison to the guy in SuperSize Me used a pedometer to decrease his activity, and ate as much as he wanted.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't think it should be limited to food documentaries. The criteria to be considered one is nonexistent anymore, and we can all thank Mr. Moore for that.
  • shan11180
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    shan11180 wrote: »

YES! There was a bodybuilder who did a Super Size Me diet. I think he was on a cut, so he showed that he lost weight on it. He stuck to calorie counting the whole time and continued to work out in comparison to the guy in SuperSize Me used a pedometer to decrease his activity, and ate as much as he wanted.

PROOF that it all depends on who's funding the film, I guess...?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It may be called a documentary but it is still entertainment that is produced for the purpose of making money. Sensationalism and controversy creates buzz, gets viewers, and makes money. It is not a scientific, peer reviewed study.

While it is done for profit, that doesn't mean there aren't tidbits of info that are valuable to the discerning viewer.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. I realize what it is. However, have found the information helpful. My boyfriend has crohn's disease it's very difficult for him to absorb enough nutrients from the foods he eats as he is missing a 12 inch section of his small intestines and terminal ileum, so he doesn't absorb fat properly either. Since the individual in the video also had an auto immune disease, though different from crohns, and was taking prednisone regularly as well, I thought trying juicing may be beneficial.

It's obviously not a cure all, but when he does incorporate juices, and smoothies with protein powder it is much easier on his digestive system and provides him with more energy than he usually has.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think Mr. Moore was specially funded. I think he wanted to be famous. Fear-mongering is the fastest way to fame it seems.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty well out of things to watch on Netflix, so I tried to watch Hungry For Change. I couldn't. I ended up watching A Very Hungry Caterpillar instead (book is better, btw).
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like them -- most of them.
    I think that with anything you watch or read, you have to be able to get something out of them, without having to swallow all they are serving you.
    Everyone has an agenda or is trying to sell you something. Everyone.
    But if you are able to, let's say inspired to workout or to eat slightly better after watching a documentary, then why not?

P.S: I looove TED Talks too.