Are you confident that you are able to reach your weight loss goals and maintain it?

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Seigla wrote: »
    Are you?
    What is the basis of your confidence and what is the basis of your doubt? For example, is your confidence (or doubt) based on solid evidence or are you fooling yourself?

I believe that if I stick to my calorie goal I will lose the weight I want and maintain. I believe this because it is working.
    I'm not doing unsustainable things so I see no reason I will not be able to continue.
    I was not confident at all when I started but steadily losing pounds and inches makes me believe that CICO will work as long as I get the right amount for me.
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Kman4evah wrote: »
    I'm 95% confident in reaching my goal. I used to be fit at one point a few years ago, so I know I can be that fit again. The only thing that could push me to 100% is more money so I could afford to buy good food, but then again who couldn't use more money? :tongue:

Interesting that you say that money plays a role. What would be the cheapest way to improve your lifestyle? And what would be the easiest way to save some money or earn some more?
    Honestly... no.

I would love to be but i struggle to maintain once i hit 112 (my goal weight which i have been before and obviously not maintained)

Heaviest 182

Current weight 127

Why do you think it is it so hard to maintain? Do you see ways of improving your confidence/ability to maintain?
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Not confident at all about maintaining lol I'm at goal weight and weight loss mode has been comfortable for me...I'm familiar with it. How do I transition to maintenance without blowing it or losing too much????? I have no clue where to go from here lol

Good question. I couldn't answer it based on experience, because I have not hit my goal weight yet. I have maintained my weight at a plateau, and it was just natural; I was in a state of equilibrium, because I maintained my healthy habits and I was careful not to slip back into old bad habits. I expect maintenance at my goal weight will be similar.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    I am very confident I will reach my goals. In the past 7 months however, my goals have changed from simply wanting to lose weight to so many more goals. I want to change the way my body looks, not just lose an arbitrary amount of weight. I also have fitness goals that I never even imagined I would have in my life. Now I exercise for the joy of it.

One of my main goals is to be able to keep setting fitness goals, not just run a few races, check it off my bucket list and move on. I want to be like a running friend of mine, who at 68 is not the fastest runner in the race, but she's running races at 68! Having this as a goal has inspired me to learn how to stay injury free and make recovery a priority, etc. so I'm learning to listen to my body.

Another thing that makes me confident about my ability to reach my goals is that the only person I'm competing against is myself. There is no particular hurry or any specific thing that I feel I must do just like another person. If it takes me two years to reach my goal weight, so be it. I refuse to enjoy my life now thinking that this is some short-term proposition. I only do those things which I think I will be willing to do for the rest of my life, so that is what gives me the confidence that whenever I reach my goal weight, I will be able to maintain it as well.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I am confident that I can greatly lower my weight and increase my fitness and strength and maintain my loss.

I am not confident that I'll be able to get my weight down as low as I'd like
    to because I'm not sure that the numbers will work in my favor. They might eventually, but it will take a very long time. I still have 47 pounds to lose (if not more) and I'm already at 1200 calories.

Being short and older isn't fun. I will be happy with improving greatly upon where I started, though, and not being confident won't stop me from trying.

That brings up the question about weight loss goals, and whether success or failure has more to do with how the goal is defined than one's ability to meet it. I have a number plugged in to MFP because it asks for one, but I don't really count it as a goal, since my legs make it pretty much impossible to aim for any given number at all. IMO, hitting all the points in that first bolded sentence is a lot more meaningful than hitting some arbitrary number on the scale.

Agreed about hitting all the points in the first sentence. Since my primary motivation is my health (being diagnosed with yet another medical condition was the last straw), I don't think it matters in the long run if I get down to some arbitrary number.

I'll count my success in decreased pain, increased mobility, increased strength and energy over some number on the scale.

• lawsonsaysread
    lawsonsaysread Posts: 53 Member
    I have already lost about 185 lbs. The next 20-30 lbs (not sure what the end goal is; that depends on how I look, and more importantly feel) shouldn't be that hard.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    I am confident that I will get there eventually. Weight loss isn't my only goal. I've lost nearly 70lbs already, I'm adjusting my goals as I go along rather than having a distant unachievable goal. My next goal is 177lbs which is my goal weight for surgery, I'd ideally like to be a good 10lbs below that by the time I actually have the surgery. I've started focussing on what I'm eating now rather than just sticking under my calories which was fine for the first 70lbs but as I weigh less it is going to get more difficult and I want to be able to get the most food and nutrients for the amount of calories available.

I want to improve my overall health as well, this I have been working on for the last 5 years and am able to do a lot more than I was back in 2010. I'd like to continue with this progress, I'll always be disabled but I know that with work I can lessen some of that. My body is far from perfect but it is a lot better than it was. I've gone from a 48"-50" waist to 34"-36" waist clothes. I was wearing some XXL clothes when I was at my heaviest and recently fitted into a small for the first time in over a decade.

I know that I can do what needs to be done, just the case of doing it. I tend to do better in the summer so the big challenge will be when winter comes back around.
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    I guess I'm overall confident in general. So I am confident that I will get down to a size that looks good on me whatever that is I'll wait and see. I was sort of doubtful that at my age I could lose weight due to some health issues but I find when I get serious and cut back on food, exercise a long period of time I do lose some weight. The doctor weighted me on Thursday and since then I already lost 3.5 pounds. I was 20 pounds heavier than I thought I was as my weight is pretty even across my body so once I heard for sure my weight I started back on my carrot sticks, celery sticks, fruit diet leaving the heavier meal for the night time and lost the weight in only three days.. that's proof now for me to totally squash my doubts.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I'm 95% confident in reaching my goal. I used to be fit at one point a few years ago, so I know I can be that fit again. The only thing that could push me to 100% is more money so I could afford to buy good food, but then again who couldn't use more money? :tongue:

I'm going to start a thread on affording good food; BBIAB with the link.

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I can honestly say that I'm not confident that I'll reach my goal, or maintain at my goal weight for very long.

I've lost 70 pounds so far and that blows my mind every day. I have about 15 more to go. Even though I don't really think I'll get there, I'll still try my damnedest. I didn't think I could lose 70 and I did, so maybe, just maybe, I can do it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited June 2015
    I will tell you in five years whether I am confident or not, because... statistics and reality.

On the other hand there is something almost liberating/enpowering in seeing your calories in/calories out displayed in MFP (and the anciliary apps many of us use), and then sometimes/often see your choices reflected on the scale.

And no matter how success is defined or what the (reality) chances of achieving that success are, being in the game gives you 100% more chance of success than not even trying!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Will I hit my goal? Yes. That I can say for sure, because I'm almost there as it is.
    Will I be able to maintain it? That's hard to say. I hope that I will be able to and I think, I will probably continue to use MFP for at least a year after I transition to help me. After that though, I'm young and I have no idea what life is going to throw at me. I started gaining weight because I went from very active to completely sedentary and I continued to eat like an active person. I can't let what could possibly go wrong in the future stop me from doing the best I can for my health/life right now.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Seigla wrote: »

Interesting that you say that money plays a role. What would be the cheapest way to improve your lifestyle? And what would be the easiest way to save some money or earn some more?
    Best way would be paying off all my debt so I don't have to spend so much trying to get everything caught up haha. Otherwise I'm doing pretty good with what I have :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I'm more or less in maintenance. Confidence ...eh. All I can do is put one foot in front of the other and see what happens. One thing I do know is that I like to eat lots of calorie dense food and tend to get bored with my own cooking, so there's that. It feels like that's something that'll be a constant fight for some time to come
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    im not 100% sure i can maintain, i actually think having these last 5-10 pounds always in the distance helps me stay on track.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Honestly it's changed for me. I was 100% sure when I started this. Now I've been maintaining my 80 pounds loss for a year, even though I wanted to lose 3 more pounds, but I've been so hungry at times that I can't say for sure that the weight won't start creeping back up slowly... even though I doubt I'll ever be that big again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm going to start a thread on affording good food; BBIAB with the link.

Share tips on purchasing "good food" for less.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    I am confident that I wil meet my goal of losing 118 more lbs and keep it off. I am on a lifestyle change, not a diet. I set realistic goals and I have changed my mindset. This is something my whole family is doing, not just me. We are all more active and eating right. We play together, cook together and enjoy eachother way more than before.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Wow, this topic hits me on a really bad day. My confidence is at an all time low. I know what to do and it's easy for me and yet I just don't consistently do it. I'm disappointed in myself.
  • insipid42
    insipid42 Posts: 9 Member
    Well, I lost the weight and gained it back once before. So on the one hand, I think I can because I believe I've learned from the mistakes I made. Also there were some immediate health problems this time that necessitated me losing the weight. But of course you're free to say that I'm full of it since I gained it back once.

As someone else stated above, talk to me in 5 years.