general activities

Options
How do I know calories for gardening, housework, walking etc., How do I add these can anyone tell me ? :/

Replies

• MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I class them as part of the calculated MFP daily cals.

Unless I really need a treat and am out of cals :smiley:
  • NowIsForMe
    NowIsForMe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    under Exercise - database gives you a whole list plus what you want to add to the list. Good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit. It will do the math for you
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't add calories for housecleaning, especially MFP calories... they're so exaggerated and could slow your weight loss especially if you are eating your exercise calories back. Like @christinev297 says get a fitbit and let it do the math for you if you feel you NEED to count those calorie burns.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    These are all part of your normal activity level. Counting them would be double dipping.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only hard *kitten* gardening I've ever done is laying a new lawn, which required multiple wheel barrow trips and heavy lifting. But my usual gardening is pulling a few weeds or planting flowers/veggies which doesn't require much effort. Same with house work, I do bits and pieces everyday, so I never have to do a full on all day clean. neither of these would be classed as exercise.

As for walking, I leave this up to my fitbit to calculate
  • main43
    main43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reply . Guess your right I would have better results not counting steps gardening etc.,
  • main43
    main43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information much appreciated.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    If I go for a walk, I count it.

If I happen to do a full hour or more of housework, where I'm up and walking, lifting, carrying and really moving so that I'm huffing and puffing a little, I might count it. That has only happened once or twice, and involved unpacking, cleaning, and rearranging stuff after a move.

But if I walk briskly through the grocery store, or do the vacuuming, I don't count it. I figure that sort of thing is either included, or are "bonus calories".