Time to throw away your scales?

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I predict the accuracy being like the Microsoft thing that judges age by a picture of your face. (I think it was Microsoft anyway)

Oh, I liked that thing. I used it on a before picture of me and got a young age, and then did it again with my current picture. Well, I think I look older now (no biggie to me, whatever)... hah! I had me even younger. It has me almost 30 years younger than I really am.

Could you imagine that amount of inaccuracy on calories?

*shudder* If I remember correctly, one of my pictures registered as 52 years older than I am.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Bonkers and someone is being paid to go ahead with that....
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So how would it guess between a high fat and low fat version of same dish like say cheesecake?

Just out of interest, which one is the low-fat one? I'm guessing (from the appearance) the top photo.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So how would it guess between a high fat and low fat version of same dish like say cheesecake?

Just out of interest, which one is the low-fat one? I'm guessing (from the appearance) the top photo.

Bottom..according to google image search :smile:
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited June 2015
    Options

Damn! There goes that theory. :)
    Actually, looking again, the crust on the bottom one should have been a giveaway. Looks like it's falling apart i.e. they skimped on the butter.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    no glaze on the strawberries either. I would eat both, no probs B)

Damn! There goes that theory. :)
    Actually, looking again, the crust on the bottom one should have been a giveaway. Looks like it's falling apart i.e. they skimped on the butter.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

recipe-image-legacy-id--1028453_10.jpg

Cheesecake.jpg

Oh, those are so easy to estimate!

The entire cheesecake has no more than 1,000 calories, and just a slice has 25 calories!

Doesn't matter if one is high or low fat....ALL cheesecake is super duper low in calories.

>:)o:)

You two aren't helping me not eat the Oreo cheesecake hiding under a bowl in the kitchen.
    Easy_OREO_Cheesecake.jpg

OT: Since I don't have a cell phone, I'll have to stick with the food scale and PC friendly food diaries.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Seems like something I'd try out just to have something to log during those odd times when I have no clue what I'm eating, but I wouldn't use it as a method of tracking calories on a day-to-day basis. I've come too far to let hocus pocus ruin my progress.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Here's some more riduclousness, in case just the concept of it didn't seem silly enough... http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/2/8707851/google-calories-food-photos-im2calories
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    how does it know if i used a cooking spray ( 0 calories) or olive oil (170 calories) to cook my meat in.

Just a idiot gadget to me.

i weigh and count...much more secure.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If MFP had that option that we could use in emergencies like when eating out, I'd consider it on those occasions, making sure to eat back fewer of my exercise calories that day.

But other than that, using that method all the time is just another useless weight "loss" fad.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    That app that judges your age doesn't work very well. My profile picture got an estimate about 30 years younger and another, with me wearing a hat, said I was 10 years older than I am. Huh?
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That app that judges your age doesn't work very well. My profile picture got an estimate about 30 years younger and another, with me wearing a hat, said I was 10 years older than I am. Huh?

Nope that app is genius...it's totally accurate ...it said I was 23 ... It can't be wrong ;)

491f43156ff73f89bfe1847ed59058bc37267582da5fa3127b87324ea3aad9a7.jpg
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I agree with the developers. Even if they are off by 20%, I'm still impressed.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Now I get how you follow the programme and I agree that portion estimating can work if it's how you work it

But how on earth can you agree when two food items can look exactly the same but have thousands of calories in difference?

How can any visual recognition software work out ingredients from a cooked dish

Is ridiculous to imagine a 20% margin of error
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this at the gym and still cnat believe how he managed to sell it to his boss. The AI or depth of programming would have to be immense, jst one of the most ridiculous things ever. Would it really think a big mac from a poster was 3 foot wide?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Now I get how you follow the programme and I agree that portion estimating can work if it's how you work it

But how on earth can you agree when two food items can look exactly the same but have thousands of calories in difference?

Perhaps it all levels out in the long run... i.e. sometimes the calorie estimate will be 20% over and sometimes 20% under.

I think there are good visual clues as to how something has been cooked. My chicken looks a lot different if I fry it with/without oil, for example.

And if it was something like a stew, perhaps it analyses the section of the photo it can see, identifies the ingredients (type and ratio) and then assumes the same ratio for the entire quantity.

It would be interesting to test this thing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Perhaps it all levels out in the long run... i.e. sometimes the calorie estimate will be 20% over and sometimes 20% under.

I think there are good visual clues as to how something has been cooked. My chicken looks a lot different if I fry it with/without oil, for example.

And if it was something like a stew, perhaps it analyses the section of the photo it can see, identifies the ingredients (type and ratio) and then assumes the same ratio for the entire quantity.

It would be interesting to test this thing.

20% even if it does even out could be vastly unhealthy.

20% higher on the calories in chicken (missing out on protein as well)
    20% lower on the bacon (missing a lot of calories)

no thanks...and taking a pic of my food...eh what do I do with them later? instagram them?

And take some of my food I make...there is a casserole I make with 4 different cheeses, chicken and shrimp...no way it could get those even remotely accurate.

I will stick with my scale thanks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I make some dishes that you can't even identify the ingredients in without being able to smell/taste/dissect...