Weight lifting calories burned and resting time?

Options
Hi,

I've been using strength training in the exercise portion but i'm just curious whether or not to include resting time. normally I would assume that it isn't an issue but sometimes I take REALLY long periods of rest inbetween sets. (as an example I average somewhere between 2 and a half hrs to 3+ at the gym) I mainly do full body compounds such as squats, rows, dumbell bench and add maybe 2 accessories.

So far i've only been doing 60-75%ish of the actual time i spend at the gym. How do you guys tackle this?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't particularly advise logging weight lifting for your calorie burns as there are a lot of variables which can affect the calorie burn.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    There is no accurate way to estimate calories for weight lifting. It will change depending on the amount of weight, which muscles are activated, to what intensity, speed, rest time, etc. And it still burns less than you might think unless you're doing it at such a speed that it's raising your heart rate and keeping it elevated to a degree that would qualify as cardio.
  • Eddygogo
    Eddygogo Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I usually just do a standard basic TDEE+calories burned set up instead of including it in my TDEE calculation. If i didn't include workout I would be at a massive deficit.

that's true smuggle and i'm certainly sure that I burn much less doing my workouts over usual cardio. however It would still leave me in a 300-400 calorie deficit if i didn't include it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    When I do circuits (those where the heartrate does go up) I'm only counting workout periods and not rests.