Calorie question for dancers or athletes

Options
Hi, I'm pretty new to MFP, 5'3 and 108 lbs- yes, not overweight, I know, but lately I put on a few pounds due to being inactive (mono sucks!) I'd like to be back to about 104 so my abs are as defined as they were before I got sick.

I eat about 1200-1500 all healthy cals and am losing. I am a senior at my ballet studio (18 years old) and dance about 7 hours a week and condition for about 4 hours. I am pretty active. My question is about a ballet and jazz summer intensive/audition next week. Last year I didn't count cals and I'm not sure how much I should eat to do my best but still lose (I want to look good in bra tops and tights). The audition is 4 days long. Day 1 and 4 are 10 hours of classes total, and days 2 and 3 are 6 hours total. Could someone with similar experiences give me an idea of how much I should eat?

Thank you and sorry this was so long!
Heather

Replies

• Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome Heather! :)

First, with your weight and height I am sure that you already look great in bra tops and tights; I mean you may lose those last 4 lbs, which will bring you to the edge of underweight, but I want to ask you to be careful. Do you believe that you don't look good now? If so, please work on that (and get help) instead of losing weight.

I say this as a triathlete; weight is important for my sport as you have to carry excess weight with you during the race, but health & energy are also very important and these may be threatened if I lose to much. I don't want to be on the edge of my weight, because then I would have to worry about both gaining and losing. So I think a 4 lbs buffer is good to have. Sometimes you will have it, sometimes you will have a bit less.

Also as an athlete I know there are dozens of things that can improve your performance; technique, mentality, nutrition, gear, strength, endurance, recovery, etc (and for dancing I imagine that confidence and creativity are very important as well). I think it would be more strategic to focus your attention on those aspects instead.

Good luck with your audition!
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is tricky. Your goals and situation are completely in conflict with weight loss. What advice would you give yourself?

Mono isn't really a joking matter. It impacts your cell structure and those cells need to be replaced with new cells that take protein, minerals and rest to rebuild.

you also have a competition. You will need to eat to perform over the course of auditions. You will need a good balance of carbs and protien. Prepare for snacks throughout the competition. If you compete at a calorie deficit...expect your results to be poor or marginal. You need calories for brain function and explosive movement.
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are going to be extremely active for the 4 days of that audition and that you wish to be performing at your best during that time. I would suggest - if you have access to a mobile device - entering calories as you go rather than pre-logging - listening to your body's cues on those days. Make sure that you have your activity level set to very active for those days so that you have an idea of what your bodies calorie requirements may be. If you feel tired or hungry eat. Make sure to get enough protein, fats and carbohydrates. Don't stress
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    This has to be the fourth board i have seen you post this topic.

I saw your post when you originally posted it, and i had a reason for not giving advice, but seeing as this is now the fifth time i have seen it, i can't help myself.

You are on the low end of what is healthy for your weight; i am also 5ft 3 and used to be 108lbs and i looked terrible; far too skinny and ill. I understand that you are a dancer and i know the requirements, but do you really think that losing 4lbs is going to make you look any different?

Work out how many calories you think you burn each day (TDEE) and eat at maintenance over the auditions. Otherwise, i would suggest weight lifting as it sounds like you want to 'define' more than lose weight.
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I saw your post when you originally posted it, and i had a reason for not giving advice, but seeing as this is now the fifth time i have seen it, i can't help myself.

You are on the low end of what is healthy for your weight; i am also 5ft 3 and used to be 108lbs and i looked terrible; far too skinny and ill. I understand that you are a dancer and i know the requirements, but do you really think that losing 4lbs is going to make you look any different?

Work out how many calories you think you burn each day (TDEE) and eat at maintenance over the auditions. Otherwise, i would suggest weight lifting as it sounds like you want to 'define' more than lose weight.

Yes, I'm pretty annoying posting this four times, but I was frustrated that it got no replies over the course of three hours and I really needed advice. Sorry.

I have a really small frame and I'm short so yeah, four pounds can really make a difference on me. I have a lot of muscle from dance and the last four pounds really lets my abs show.

Thank you for your advice, but in the original question I said I don't know how many calories it will burn. They're not typical cardio you can log easily like biking at a certain pace, so I'm afraid my estimates would be way off. I looked on the internet but the numbers varied so much they didn't help.

Do you have any knowledge of how much ballet and jazz classes and auditions would burn for me?

Ps sorry again for posting a lot
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options
    elfin168 wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you are going to be extremely active for the 4 days of that audition and that you wish to be performing at your best during that time. I would suggest - if you have access to a mobile device - entering calories as you go rather than pre-logging - listening to your body's cues on those days. Make sure that you have your activity level set to very active for those days so that you have an idea of what your bodies calorie requirements may be. If you feel tired or hungry eat. Make sure to get enough protein, fats and carbohydrates. Don't stress

This is by far the best idea I've seen, thanks so much!
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options
    Seigla wrote: »
    Welcome Heather! :)

First, with your weight and height I am sure that you already look great in bra tops and tights; I mean you may lose those last 4 lbs, which will bring you to the edge of underweight, but I want to ask you to be careful. Do you believe that you don't look good now? If so, please work on that (and get help) instead of losing weight.

I say this as a triathlete; weight is important for my sport as you have to carry excess weight with you during the race, but health & energy are also very important and these may be threatened if I lose to much. I don't want to be on the edge of my weight, because then I would have to worry about both gaining and losing. So I think a 4 lbs buffer is good to have. Sometimes you will have it, sometimes you will have a bit less.

Also as an athlete I know there are dozens of things that can improve your performance; technique, mentality, nutrition, gear, strength, endurance, recovery, etc (and for dancing I imagine that confidence and creativity are very important as well). I think it would be more strategic to focus your attention on those aspects instead.

Good luck with your audition!

Thank you for your advice and well wishes! For me, even though it seems dumb I also want to lose the weight to have less pressure on my feet en pointe. I have noticed my feet hurt much more after class. It was so much easier to dance when I was thinner.

I believe I look good now, it's more of a I know I can look better. I have old pictures of myself that my stomach looks really good in, and I want to go back to that.

You must be an incredible athlete if you do triathlons!
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options
    This is tricky. Your goals and situation are completely in conflict with weight loss. What advice would you give yourself?

Mono isn't really a joking matter. It impacts your cell structure and those cells need to be replaced with new cells that take protein, minerals and rest to rebuild.

you also have a competition. You will need to eat to perform over the course of auditions. You will need a good balance of carbs and protien. Prepare for snacks throughout the competition. If you compete at a calorie deficit...expect your results to be poor or marginal. You need calories for brain function and explosive movement.

I know that mono isn't a joking matter more than anyone, but my GP, hospital team, and cardiologist all cleared me and told me to do ask much as I wanted to. Thank you for your concern though!

I eat all food groups everyday.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm pretty annoying posting this four times, but I was frustrated that it got no replies over the course of three hours and I really needed advice. Sorry.

I have a really small frame and I'm short so yeah, four pounds can really make a difference on me. I have a lot of muscle from dance and the last four pounds really lets my abs show.

Thank you for your advice, but in the original question I said I don't know how many calories it will burn. They're not typical cardio you can log easily like biking at a certain pace, so I'm afraid my estimates would be way off. I looked on the internet but the numbers varied so much they didn't help.

Do you have any knowledge of how much ballet and jazz classes and auditions would burn for me?

No worries :)

As for how much you would burn, it all depends. How are you travelling to the auditions? Walking, but, etc?

How many routines will you be performing a day and for how long? Two 10 minute routines in a day?

How much will you be rehearsing before hand? Two hours?

Also, i don't know what your money situation is like, but you could also get something like a fitbit zip; basically, you set it up and input your stats into the computer (it syncs to your computer) and then you can attach it to your bra and it will tell you how many calories you are burning a day. I wear mine constantly and believe it to be pretty accurate, and the price wasn't ridiculous. Obviously you won't be able to wear it on the day what with costumes and things, but it would be great for wearing whilst you do a run through of the routines you need to perform and will give you an idea of how many calories they burn and you can use that to help judge how many you will burn on the day.

More than happy to try and help, and please don't get offended by the 'tough love' approach!
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options

As for how much you would burn, it all depends. How are you travelling to the auditions? Walking, but, etc?

How many routines will you be performing a day and for how long? Two 10 minute routines in a day?

Also, i don't know what your money situation is like, but you could also get something like a fitbit zip; basically, you set it up and input your stats into the computer (it syncs to your computer) and then you can attach it to your bra and it will tell you how many calories you are burning a day. I wear mine constantly and believe it to be pretty accurate, and the price wasn't ridiculous. Obviously you won't be able to wear it on the day what with costumes and things, but it would be great for wearing whilst you do a run through of the routines you need to perform and will give you an idea of how many calories they burn and you can use that to help judge how many you will burn on the day.

More than happy to try and help, and please don't get offended by the 'tough love' approach!

I'm not offended
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options

Sorry the rest of my reply somehow got cut off! Basically we are dancing all hours except for about 10 minutes where we slate (say name, age, and why they want you)
    I originally said I'm not offended and appreciate the help!
    The Fitbit is a great idea, I'm so excited to try it! Do you know what stores typically sell them?
  • princessbride42
    princessbride42 Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I do Irish step dancing I typically burn between 300 and 400 an hour. This according to my heart rate monitor. I weigh a lot more than you, so that changes things, but my heart rate gets up to 170 or 190 while I'm dancing.

I agree with previous posters who advised you to eat a lot, to have enough fuel, and don't worry about those four pounds right now.

• greekyogurtandpuppies
    Options
    When I do Irish step dancing I typically burn between 300 and 400 an hour. This according to my heart rate monitor. I weigh a lot more than you, so that changes things, but my heart rate gets up to 170 or 190 while I'm dancing.

I agree with previous posters who advised you to eat a lot, to have enough fuel, and don't worry about those four pounds right now.

Thanks so much!