How to keep victories going when the body is in retreat mode during injury stages?

Options
How to keep victories going when the body is in retreat mode during injury stages?

I'm just feeling so very frustrated today. It has been difficult to hold my lines here. I'm at 10 months of having multiple injuries which prevents me from reaching my maximum THR. My weight loss and mesaurement victories are going backwards. My non-scale victories of clothing sizes decreasing, feeling positive about things, and my overall confidence are starting to go backwards.

My MFP motto is "No going backwards.." I'm not a quitter. I've reached an uncomfortable place in my journey. I need some help peeps.

Retreat mode: I maintained September-November. I lost maintenance at the beginning of December. Since December my “number” victories went in retreat mode. I have gained 6.8 pounds in 6 months. My BF% has gone up from 36% to 39.9%. My Waist-Chest-Hips are all up 2.5”

After 3 years of progress and seeing realistic goal numbers, it all emotionally hurts me a great deal to see these actual number today from where I was 3 years ago. It’s much more than I cared to admit until today when I have reached my breaking point.

Nutrition: Since January I was on maintenance at 40-30-30 for 1250-1300 calories.
On my own using the LCHF forum, I did a May month of LCHF to change things up both mentally and physically. I received better sleep and smooth skin but no changes in my numbers.

Thursday, my nutritionist reset my macros to CPF at 20-25-35 for 1257 calories.
She said my fat level was too high on the LCHF.
Does anyone think I should be at a lower deficit than 1257 calories to prevent further weight gain?

MFP sets me at 1200 calories to lose 1 pound/week at Sedentary level. Normally, I set a realistic goal of a 0.50 pound per week but would like to enter a 0.75 - 1 pound goal loss to justify the past 10 months. I have always used customized settings provided by my nutritionist.

Today, IIFYM says at a reckless 25% rate goal, my grams should be CPF at 173-83-32. (I don’t know how to calculate the grams to macro%).
IIFYM always suggests a HC plan for me but I have never done one nor has my nutritionist ever suggested one.
Does anyone think I would lose weight with an IIFYM high Carb Macro when I’m not exercising at my maximum THR?

Exercise: In addition to having 2x week OutPatient Physical Therapy for my shoulder I can do the following on my best days. I have an ongoing ankle/foot injury since September which has not been resolved. I have a 2nd opinion in 2 weeks. My best number of good exercise days are averaging out to 3 days a week at 60 minutes.
I can hit 65% of my THR on a good day. This is achieved by light bicycling or leisure walking (20-30 minutes) combined with light resistance training (30 minutes). I stretch daily even if it’s not logged.

Personals: I have a desk job. I’m female and 60 years old. I always saw this journey as a return to a lifestyle I once lived, a healthy and strong person before my weight gain.

Stats: BMI 27.2, BMR 1340 calories, TDEE is 1750.

I have been on MFP since May 1, 2012. I have a good wall of peeps and support. This is my first emotional sharing on the general forum. I normally would post on my wall but feel the need to take my concern beyond there.

I welcome those with experience or knowledge who could try to answer my questions in italics. Also, If you could comment on how I may be able to keep my victories when my body keeps retreating during my injury stages. Thank you.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thursday, my nutritionist reset my macros to CPF at 20-25-35

That doesn't add up to 100 ?

I don't know what THR is, if 65% of THR is 65% of your maximum heart rate then you'll be using fat during exercise and that should help lose weight.
    CPF at 173-83-32

173 * 4 = 692 (53)
    83 * 4 = 332 (25)
    32 * 9 = 288 (22)

Total 1312

No idea why such low fat and high carb would be a good idea.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Thursday, my nutritionist reset my macros to CPF at 20-25-35

That doesn't add up to 100 ?

I don't know what THR is, if 65% of THR is 65% of your maximum heart rate then you'll be using fat during exercise and that should help lose weight.
    CPF at 173-83-32

173 * 4 = 692 (53)
    83 * 4 = 332 (25)
    32 * 9 = 288 (22)

Total 1312

No idea why such low fat and high carb would be a good idea.

Burning calories during training should help lose weight. I don't think we can say with certainty that substrate utilization during training will make any significant difference to net fat loss over time.

To the original poster --- I'd like to know if you use a food scale to weigh out what you consume, and if so, how frequently.

• 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    To yarwell: My error, macros should say 20-45-35. THR is Target Heart Rate. *Before injuries I was able to exercise at my maximum 150-160 range. I did 30 minutes weight training 3x week, followed by 20-27 Eliptical 3x week. On other days I did Pilates, Jillian Michael's BFBM, fast bicycling pace for 60 minutes, addiitonal resistance training, walked hills, and did other free TV fitness programs featuring calisthenics and resistance work especially in winter time.

In determining macros what does the 4 and 9 represent? I do not understand the formula to how you get your answer to how many macros for grams?

To SideSteel: I do use a food scale and measuring cups. I know there are days when I am not consistent in following through so I need to improve this. My scale is very old and it's time for a new one.

When I bring home the groceries I also do prep. So I weigh and measure 4 oz of Ground Turkey Breast, etc, and measure out 1/2 cup of blueberries, cut up 1/2 or 1 Cup of veggies, etc, and then I stock the fridge and freezer. This helps me stay organized, saves time during the week, and keeps portions in control.

Okay, so I just stick to doing as much strength training as I possible can to assit the weight loss. Got it.

Nutrition, I'm still not sure if I should eat at 1200-1225 range as MFP suggests, or at the 1257 range as nutritionist suggets for 30 days?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    1g of carb or protein is 4 cals
    1g of fat is 9 cals

Weigh everythings. Cups are crap unless it's liquid
  • chicanasoyyo
    chicanasoyyo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok.. all I gotta say is that weight loss is 70 % accomplished from food.. 30% of the weight loss is from exercise,.. you might be focusing too much on exercise and that's why you gain weight.. all u have to do is eat protein and veggies.. that's is.. choose carbs like zucchini or broccoli.. eat salad , tomatoes, etc,, lots of vegetables..and some protein. Like the size of your palm. And the pounds will come off even without exercise.. goodluck
  • chicanasoyyo
    chicanasoyyo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to mentioned.. when u think of dieting.. think green veggies. They will be the best.. fruit is good yes.. but not everyone is equal, and some people will gain weight easy with fruit
  • SideSteel
    Options
    To yarwell: My error, macros should say 20-45-35. THR is Target Heart Rate. *Before injuries I was able to exercise at my maximum 150-160 range. I did 30 minutes weight training 3x week, followed by 20-27 Eliptical 3x week. On other days I did Pilates, Jillian Michael's BFBM, fast bicycling pace for 60 minutes, addiitonal resistance training, walked hills, and did other free TV fitness programs featuring calisthenics and resistance work especially in winter time.

In determining macros what does the 4 and 9 represent? I do not understand the formula to how you get your answer to how many macros for grams?

To SideSteel: I do use a food scale and measuring cups. I know there are days when I am not consistent in following through so I need to improve this. My scale is very old and it's time for a new one.

When I bring home the groceries I also do prep. So I weigh and measure 4 oz of Ground Turkey Breast, etc, and measure out 1/2 cup of blueberries, cut up 1/2 or 1 Cup of veggies, etc, and then I stock the fridge and freezer. This helps me stay organized, saves time during the week, and keeps portions in control.

Okay, so I just stick to doing as much strength training as I possible can to assit the weight loss. Got it.

Nutrition, I'm still not sure if I should eat at 1200-1225 range as MFP suggests, or at the 1257 range as nutritionist suggets for 30 days?

You know the first thing I think would be good to attempt would be to tighten up your food scale use and logging habits in the short term. So for example if you can tough it out for two weeks where you really stick to weighing everything and making 100% certain that NOTHING you eat goes unlogged. So in other words if you lick the peanut butter spoon or grab a handful of nuts or whatever the habit may be, it gets logged accurately.

We have a pretty good set of evidence that people eat more than they think they do, even when attempting to log accurately. Taking steps to mitigate that can be very beneficial.

Please note, I'm not accusing you of dishonesty here, as this isn't necessarily a function of honesty/integrity.

I would do this for a couple of weeks and if you see no change on the scale you're left with changing intake or changing activity or both. The logical thing being to increase activity and slightly decrease intake.

But I wouldn't go this route until you first take my previous advice regarding logging.

As far as activity goes, higher intensity cardio will primarily be more efficient, but even something as simple as walking can help provided you're able to do it.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    lishie_rebooted: Okay got that. One thing that pops right out for me is like my veggies or berries, I don't weigh them, I've been putting them into measured cups...there's a ton of inconsitencies right there fo rme. Thanks.

chicanasoyyo: I was focused on my nutrtion. As my shoulder healed I switched to getting my exercise minutes in each day. I appreciate the foodie advice but I already eat a ton of protein and veggies. I've been eating berries or berries and grapefruit depending on carb macros for the day.
    So would you recommend the lower deficit to lose pounds?

It's been such a long 10 months of frustration with what I could do and what I'm not allowed to do. It's been very trying for the length of 10 month, 2 injuries, 2 Out Patient Therapy programs, endless doctor appointments and tests. My shoulder was injured at beginning of January. It was 6 weeks before I could much of anything. My surgery was late March.
    So I'm more than usual frustrated. As I shared, this is my first time sharing like this out on the forum.

We had a miserbale winter here, too. Even the healthy people were all forced indoors or couldn't even get to their gyms or clubs due to snow, ice or just miserable road consiitons. It didn't help my situation at all.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    SIdeSteel, your approach makes complete sense to me. I’ll toughen up on food logging, weigh and measure properly, and every lickety-split that goes in my mouth and down my tummy.

Today, I did some weight training at my highest weights possible within my shoulder recovery program. My foot is in 10+ plus Pain level so I didn’t walk or bicycle. I didn’t have my usual appetite which is abnormal for me. I believe it’s because I am allowing this whole frustration thing to derail my focus.

Okay time to get my head wrapped right again. I'll let you know how I am doing in 2 weeks. Thanks.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SIdeSteel, your approach makes complete sense to me. I’ll toughen up on food logging, weigh and measure properly, and every lickety-split that goes in my mouth and down my tummy.

Today, I did some weight training at my highest weights possible within my shoulder recovery program. My foot is in 10+ plus Pain level so I didn’t walk or bicycle. I didn’t have my usual appetite which is abnormal for me. I believe it’s because I am allowing this whole frustration thing to derail my focus.

Okay time to get my head wrapped right again. I'll let you know how I am doing in 2 weeks. Thanks.

Good luck! If you go this route, I'd really not make any other changes. It's going to be stressful enough as is to really put the clamps down on your logging habits and food scale use. I'd be interested to hear what the results are, if anything.

I can tell you that TYPICALLY the results are weight loss and hunger, but to what extent (if any) will largely depend on whether or not you were eating more than you were logging, and how well your new (more diligent) logging habits close that gap.

I hope it works out!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    I am already seeing the difference in measuring foods. For fruits and veggies I was using the cups. Now with using the scale for these, I see I was overeating these entries. So I'll spend some extra time each day to recorrect my foods list so I have accurate measurements.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Weigh-In on June 13th was151.6 pounds. I'm down 2.2 pounds in 9 days. The food scale and consistency of intake is working.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Weigh-In on June 13th was151.6 pounds. I'm down 2.2 pounds in 9 days. The food scale and consistency of intake is working.

Excellent!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options

Today weigh in June 20: I'm down 0.6 to 151 pounds. ......I was weighing many foods as cups and not grams or ounces. Between weighing correctly and tightening up my nutrition it's working! .....

Tightening up for me is choosing a protein drink over a tablespoon of peanut butter when I'm still hungry at night. Over consuming protein macros doesn't effect me but overeating fat and carb macros do. Even though I'm starting to be able to do more exercise, I need to be consistent for results.....
    Thanks for the support.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Today weigh in June 20: I'm down 0.6 to 151 pounds. ......I was weighing many foods as cups and not grams or ounces. Between weighing correctly and tightening up my nutrition it's working! .....

Tightening up for me is choosing a protein drink over a tablespoon of peanut butter when I'm still hungry at night. Over consuming protein macros doesn't effect me but overeating fat and carb macros do. Even though I'm starting to be able to do more exercise, I need to be consistent for results.....
    Thanks for the support.

You're really doing great, congrats!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Weigh In: TBW same as last month and I lost .9% BF. Weight same........I have been discharged from shoulder outpatient therapy and will continue my homework therapy as I call it.... Today, I had an assessment with a Personal Traine and we start together tomorrow for 2x week....Monday I begin Round 2 of my Foot Outpatient Therpay for the damaged ligaments 1x week, and the nerve damage will just be more time and patience on my behalf.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Nice!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    I have just completed a detailed 4 week program put together by my Physical Therapist and PT. Overall I have improved ROM, strength, balance and awareness. I'm continuing with both of them for another month. My nutrition has found it's groove. I eat more on strength days and less on lighter and rest days. I lost 1 pd over 4 weeks.
    I feel my results will come as I maintain consistency. *It's great to be exercising again.