Every other day fasting?

Options
Korriinn
Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
I have heard about this, where you eat every other day, is it a good way to loose weight? Anyone have success stories from it, and how did you go about it? Also, is it even healthy?? Lol. Thanks!!! <3

Replies

• blue736
    blue736 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Depends on yr diet.food intake u don't want to lose muscle.also what's yr training like if any.will u be training while fasting.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I don't think a "newbie" to weight loss should consider it. All you have to do to lose weight is eat less than you burn a day. Create a caloric deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    so you are asking if its ok to eat one day and not the next? if that is what you mean then no,its not ok.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with setting your calories to a reasonable deficit and eat every day? There is intermittent fasting 5:2 which on two (nonconsecutive days) you eat 500 calories and then 5 days eating at maintance calories. Is that maybe what you Are thinking of?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I don't think a "newbie" to weight loss should consider it. All you have to do to lose weight is eat less than you burn a day. Create a caloric deficit.

This right here.
  • Vonnie187
    Vonnie187 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert*
    But there has been a study by a British Dr where he studied the effects of fasting relating to Palio and our ancient ancestors, and his study revealed that there are Benifits to health like reducing blood pressure, cholesterol and can increase brain function. Google Dr Michael Mosley 5:2 fasting a BBC documentary and make your own decisions
  • paulachuff
    paulachuff Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my religion we are expected to fast on the first Sunday a month unless there is a medical reason not to or that it would in some way endanger your health. We are taught that through the ages, fasting has been a healthful way to not only sacrifice our own comfort for the sake of giving others what we would have eaten during the fast, but that the benefits to our own health are that the fast cleanses the body and mind. Just my two cents.
  • HotKanye
    HotKanye Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it if it works for you! However the "fast" days should actually be 500 calories and the other days make sure you're not eating at a deficit. Try to plan your workouts for your non-fasted days. There is definitely evidence to support this way of eating. If it appeals to you give it a try.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about alternate day intermittent fasting (also called ADF or JUDDD)? If so, yes that's the plan I followed during my weight loss phase, but I didn't do total fasts on my down days. I still ate between 300-500 calories on those days. Then on the alternate days I ate at around maintenance level calories.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do this? Weight-loss achieved through fasting is hard to maintain. Also, you will be very tired on those days.
  • Korriinn
    Korriinn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about alternate day intermittent fasting (also called ADF or JUDDD)? If so, yes that's the plan I followed during my weight loss phase, but I didn't do total fasts on my down days. I still ate between 300-500 calories on those days. Then on the alternate days I ate at around maintenance level calories.

Yes, I believe so. Do you mind telling me what you did and how it worked? Thank you for the input.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are some people on here (myself included) who are Intermittent Fasters, but I've not heard of a schedule that only includes every other day. While I suppose it's technically doable, I imagine adherence for any length of time would be really difficult and lead to binge cycles eventually, for most people.

Look, weight loss is hard. Don't make it any harder than it needs to be. Do some research before you jump into this kind of thing. It's not an easy choice.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at all?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The "every other day diet" book etc by Krista Varady is a useful resource. 500 cals one day and maintenance or a bit more the next. Preserves LBM and lab tested. Worth a read.
  • _emma_78
    _emma_78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything that isn't sustainable! Then when you get to your goal weight you're going to have a hard time adjusting to maintenance
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to do this? Weight-loss achieved through fasting is hard to maintain. Also, you will be very tired on those days.

Curious...

What makes weight loss through fasting any harder to maintain than any other method of weight loss?

If you just look at the people here on MFP...every day someone shows back up having not maintained their weight loss. If you took a pole I suspicion that most of them did not use the fasting method.

I don't fast so I am not pushing that method. I just think that no matter how you lose the weight...it is hard to maintain the weight loss.

As far as being tired...I think that many people that are eating at significant daily deficit can also experience tiredness.

• Sarasmaintaining
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The "every other day diet" book etc by Krista Varady is a useful resource. 500 cals one day and maintenance or a bit more the next. Preserves LBM and lab tested. Worth a read.

Meh, I thought Varady's book was pretty weak :/

OP-feel free to send me a pm and I can give you more info. I've helped a few other people with resources through pms, so I can just copy/paste you what I've sent them. It's Sunday and I'm feeling lazy :p
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options

What are you basing this assumption on? I lost almost 60lbs and I've been easily maintaining the loss for two years now, all while using IF protocols.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    _emma_78 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do anything that isn't sustainable! Then when you get to your goal weight you're going to have a hard time adjusting to maintenance

I didn't have any issues transitioning into maintenance. For my weight loss phase I did alternate day IF. Then I used 5:2IF during the transition period between active weight loss and maintenance. Then I switched to 16:8IF for maintenance and I've been doing that ever since. The whole thing was pretty easy actually :)