Potassium

Options
Jag7694
Jag7694 Posts: 1,410 Member
What is the secret to getting to 3500mg of potassium? I eat broccoli, Brussels sprouts nuts bananas and other foods supposedly rich in potassium. I even take a potassium supplement. I can barely get over 2000mg. Is there a shake or something that I can make up the difference? I know it's not the most pressing thing but it does help with recovery time.

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is by far the hardest of my nutrients to hit as well. But ill be sad to inform you that the recommended potassium for adults is about 4700mg, just that mfp hasn't changed the recommendations yet through this app.
    However, there are many low calorie foods that have a lot of it. Off the top of my head
    Sauted spinach- about 850mg/ C.
    White beans - over 1000mg/cup
    Potatoes- over 500mg/ 100g
    Many squash- over 800mg/ C.
    I know it's tough and I miss the target many days, but I would try my best ans not worry unless my Doc says I'm low. That's really the only way to check your status, is through blood work.
    Good luck and I hope this helped a little.
    http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/potassium-content-of-fruits-vegetables-and-other-foods-topic-overview
  • greekyogurtandpuppies
    greekyogurtandpuppies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multivitamin? My doctor has me on the brand Centrum :)
  • Leslierussell4134
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do take a multivitamin, I take a prenatal because I'm child bearing age and my doctor recommended it. But I've never been low in potassium when I have my blood work done. Another way to absorb more potassium is to limit sodium intake to the recommended 2300mg per day or less. Sodium and potassium have an inverse relationship and whenever one is in excess the other seems to deplete through urine.
  • Jag7694
    Options
    This is by far the hardest of my nutrients to hit as well. But ill be sad to inform you that the recommended potassium for adults is about 4700mg, just that mfp hasn't changed the recommendations yet through this app.
    However, there are many low calorie foods that have a lot of it. Off the top of my head
    Sauted spinach- about 850mg/ C.
    White beans - over 1000mg/cup
    Potatoes- over 500mg/ 100g
    Many squash- over 800mg/ C.
    I know it's tough and I miss the target many days, but I would try my best ans not worry unless my Doc says I'm low. That's really the only way to check your status, is through blood work.
    Good luck and I hope this helped a little.
    http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/potassium-content-of-fruits-vegetables-and-other-foods-topic-overview
    Do you take a multivitamin? My doctor has me on the brand Centrum :)

First yes I take centrum under 50 and a Potassium supplement as well. 4700mg nice! Yes that helps very much thanks!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Most multi vitamins won't contain much potassium as excess can be just as bad as being deficient.
    A lot of foods can contain potassium but don't list it - it isn't required labeling information.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If memory serves, companies aren't required to put potassium content on labels, so the odds are pretty decent that you ARE hitting that recommendation, even though the MFP data may not reflect that.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

~Lyssa
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A nice recipe with lots of potassium : Black Bean Brownie Smoothie In blender, blend 1/2 c. black beans, 1 c. soy milk, 1 banana, 1 T. unsweetened cocoa powder. It's really good! I also like to combine a can of butter beans with 2 cups of frozen spinach, some nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. I microwave it for maybe 5 minutes--easy meal loaded with all kinds of nutrients.

You will notice that some high potassium foods do not appear to have any potassium in them, according to the MFP database. Potassium content is often not included in nutritional labels or individual posters just don't bother to enter it.
  • margaretlb4
    margaretlb4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i used to never hit my potassium and now I am because I'm eating alot of collards, kale, and other whole foods. I'll friend you if you want and you can check out what I'm eating. Now that I'm eating mostly whole foods, I don't really even have to think about it. Also maybe you know this but if you post something like "apple - raw" (for example) instead of fuji apple and don't get an asterisk next to it that is the MFP official number and it always lists potassium content, or so I've been told.

I'm not sure that explanation totally makes sense and I'm sure someone on here could explain it better, I just got out of hot yoga and my brain is fried! But that helps me really track the potassium.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Most multi vitamins won't contain much potassium as excess can be just as bad as being deficient.
    A lot of foods can contain potassium but don't list it - it isn't required labeling information.

Yes, another good thing to keep in mind. Very true.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If memory serves, companies aren't required to put potassium content on labels, so the odds are pretty decent that you ARE hitting that recommendation, even though the MFP data may not reflect that.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

~Lyssa

This.
  • Jag7694
    Options
    i used to never hit my potassium and now I am because I'm eating alot of collards, kale, and other whole foods. I'll friend you if you want and you can check out what I'm eating. Now that I'm eating mostly whole foods, I don't really even have to think about it. Also maybe you know this but if you post something like "apple - raw" (for example) instead of fuji apple and don't get an asterisk next to it that is the MFP official number and it always lists potassium content, or so I've been told.

I'm not sure that explanation totally makes sense and I'm sure someone on here could explain it better, I just got out of hot yoga and my brain is fried! But that helps me really track the potassium.

Yea that's great. I'll take any friends that have information to help. Not really a problem with the exercise side of things it is my diet and the right mix and how to build a day starting in the morning.