Breastfeeding

Options
Cmg2k
Cmg2k Posts: 35 Member
I'm trying to lose weight by exclusively breastfeeding twins. Is there anyway I can adjust my calorie intake on the app to take breastfeeding into account? Nursing one baby is roughly 500 calories a day, therefore 2 babies would be 1,000.

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Is there a better Google source of info?

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is in the food database. It'll add 500 or 250 calories (depending on which option you choose) to your calorie goal for the day.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    They say "up to 500" so you may not want to assume you get that many extra calories. If I were you, I'd add 750 for two and certainly monitor and adjust if your weight goes up. If you're losing really quickly, add more. All babies are different. With my two boys, I could eat a lot and not gain. With my daughter, I could only eat 150 more calories than I did pre-pregnancy, but I was still starving 24/7 and she nursed pretty darn often, but she is little. Also, make sure you're a minimum of 6 weeks post-partum. It takes several weeks for your milk to be regulated, so unless you want to risk your supply drying up, you should wait at least that long before attempting to drop pounds. If you notice your milk supply dropping, up your calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can either manually set your calorie goal to include the extra calories, or you can add it in from the food database.
  • Cmg2k
    Cmg2k Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks everyone. My babies are 6 months so my milk is in pretty well. I was losing weight quickly at first but I've been eating poorly lately so there hasn't been anymore weight loss. I still have 15lbs until I reach my prepregnancy weight.
    My babies are big eaters. My girl weighs 17lbs2oz and my boy weighs 18lbs2oz. Both born at 6lbs9oz.
    I lost weight using this app 2 years ago (and kept it off until my twin pregnancy) so I figured I'd give it a try again.