Propel water

Options
are propel waters healthy for you? They taste so good and my doctor said Gatorade was bad for me so I'm thinking about only drinking propel

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Why not drink water. You know, the plain stuff. H2O.

?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    Most "enhanced" waters are gimmicks. Even bottled water is just mostly filtered tap water by corporate companies.
    And personally, I'd rather drink Gatorade than a flavored water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    Most "enhanced" waters are gimmicks. Even bottled water is just mostly filtered tap water by corporate companies.
    And personally, I'd rather drink Gatorade than a flavored water.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mwyvr
    Options
    are propel waters healthy for you? They taste so good and my doctor said Gatorade was bad for me so I'm thinking about only drinking propel

Emphasis mine. Perhaps this should be a red flag to you.

Propel is owned by Gatorade. Taste is one way companies get you coming back for more.

Maybe you should raise a middle finger of protest to companies like Gatorade selling you things you don't need and drink plain water. From the tap.

Get yourself a nice stainless steel water bottle and keep refilling it. Water is all you really need.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I would not drink ONLY Propel. One here or there? Fine. I drink one a day, but that's because my doctor told me to drink a sports drink now and then because I have low blood sodium.

I still drink a boatload of regular plain tap water, though.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @hannah1011z The question remains... do you need to drink Propel, Gatorade, or XYZ product, or would water meet your needs.

Most people do not need electrolyte replenishment, despite the huge industry which has built up to sell such things.
  • hannah1011z
    hannah1011z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @hannah1011z The question remains... do you need to drink Propel, Gatorade, or XYZ product, or would water meet your needs.

Most people do not need electrolyte replenishment, despite the huge industry which has built up to sell such things.

Honestly propel helps me a lot. I don't drink it because it supposably helps your energy ect. But I drink it to help me get water into my diet. From age 5-21 my main drink of choice was soda. Really nothing else. So if propel is just as good as water minus the sodium which shouldn't be too bad since I don't have diabetes ect then I'd love to drink like 4 propel and 4 water bottles a day

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Its what plants crave?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Its what plants crave?
    HAHAHA!

bf61zl99ml2l.gif

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Its what plants crave?

Just got that - awesome. X)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Its what plants crave?
    HAHAHA!

bf61zl99ml2l.gif

8.3 fluid ounces (per sip)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Its what plants crave?

Tbt4kZPyHcPok.gif

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    People be using flags for the wrong thing
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I don't know that any of them are healthy or not. look at the nutriton information and decide if you want to drink it. me? I hate water so I go with mio or teas.
    if you don't like the taste of plain water, consider maybe infused water.
  • joannenicole451
    joannenicole451 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "Ingredients: Water, sucrose from corn syrup, natural lemon flavor with other natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E acetate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), calcium disodium EDTA (protects freshness), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5) pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), acesulfame potassium, vitamin B12."

This "fitness water" contains sugar from high fructose corn syrup, and two artificial chemical sugar substitutes - sucralose (found in Splenda) and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K). This isn't healthy water; it's chemical soup in a water bottle. Your body needs WATER to rehydrate it - natural, pure water. NOT chemical water.
  • mwyvr
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

Honestly propel helps me a lot. I don't drink it because it supposably helps your energy ect. But I drink it to help me get water into my diet. From age 5-21 my main drink of choice was soda. Really nothing else. So if propel is just as good as water minus the sodium which shouldn't be too bad since I don't have diabetes ect then I'd love to drink like 4 propel and 4 water bottles a day

@hanna1011z Congratulations on reducing or eliminating your soda habit but don't you think Propel is just the next soda for you? It's sweetened (with Sucralose). It isn't carbonated. It does contain numerous chemicals not found in tap water.

I'm going to look at this from a number of different perspectives and please remember we are all here to share, I'm not attacking your decision. You choose what is right for you. I'm sharing how I look at the prospect of drinking bottled water or bottled "enhanced" waters.

4 bottles of Propel a day? First I can't help but think of all the plastic bottles that represents: 1,460 a year. Wow. That's a lot of plastic. Next I think of the cost: 1,460 a year is 243 six-packs. $243 * $3/six pack = $730 dollars a year if you are paying $3 a six pack. Hey that's enough for a trip somewhere. Or for a gym membership. Or for five pairs of good runners. Or quite a lot of yogurt. Or new clothes. Or... or... or...!

What about the product. Is it, as you seem to be asking, just as good as water? Nope, it fails that test in a number of areas: cost, purity (it isn't "water"), long term health impacts (unknown vs known), environmental impact (bottles, sucralose in sewage building up in the environment over time, manufacturing and transportation impacts).

Water is just as good as water, and it's free.

Propel isn't water, it's is a chemical concoction. Does a lifetime of consuming sucralose pose health risks? Are there environmental impacts from sucralose in our sewage? The answer to these questions are unclear but what is clear is that sceptics of artificial sweeteners over the decades have been quite correct in being sceptical. Those 1,460 doses of sucralose a year multiplied by how many years add up to a lot of exposure to Sucralose vs the tap water drinker's exposure (zero).

Being a sceptic I personally would not reach for artificially sweetened products unless I suffered from diabetes and had no alternative such as choosing alternate foods or avoiding sweetening foods on my own.

Back to water. We need it. My water of choice comes to me from a tap and is delivered in a glass or water bottle.

IMG_20150609_123927.jpg

This is my water bottle. I think it cost my wife $10 to buy it for me for Christmas years ago. I fill it, several times a day, for free. From it I can fill my dog's portable water bowl after a run, and I can have some too. Can't do that with Propel. It's made of stainless steel, seals perfectly, never leaks, and cleans easily. I've used it many thousands of times since and will keep on using it. Cost of using for just one year: $10.

Your original question was whether Propel is healthy for you. Maybe the question should be are there healthier safer alternatives to drinking flavoured sweetened waters? The answer to that is yes: plain water.

Making a long term sustainable change to our behaviour is what we heavy people need to do if we want to drop weight and keep it off. Maybe breaking your habit for sweetened drinks is one of those things you need to do for the long run?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    "Ingredients: Water, sucrose from corn syrup, natural lemon flavor with other natural flavors, citric acid, sodium citrate, potassium citrate, sucralose, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), vitamin E acetate, niacinamide (vitamin B3), calcium disodium EDTA (protects freshness), calcium pantothenate (vitamin B5) pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), acesulfame potassium, vitamin B12."

This "fitness water" contains sugar from high fructose corn syrup, and two artificial chemical sugar substitutes - sucralose (found in Splenda) and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K). This isn't healthy water; it's chemical soup in a water bottle. Your body needs WATER to rehydrate it - natural, pure water. NOT chemical water.

It even has dihydrogen minoxide in there. Terrible stuff.

• mwyvr
    Options
    Oh so funny.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of fear-mongering going on in here.

It's not going to hurt you to drink Propel, although it may be a good idea to try to get more plain water in. The plastic bottles really add up and are truly wasteful, and they are expensive.

As far as all those scary chemikillz - there is absolutely nothing in the Propel to worry yourself over.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking the zero version or the regular?

If the regular..

30cals/bottle x 4bottle/day = 120 cals

120cal x 365= 43,800 cals in a year

43,800cals/3500 cals per lb= 12.51 POUNDS you could avoid by just drinking water.