Vegetables - Integrating into a Busy Life?

Options
TheGaudyMagpie
TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
edited June 2015 in Recipes
I have never been much of a vegetable person, mostly because I find them kind of difficult to prepare on their own. I can put them in a crockpot or a soup, but I have no idea how to make just vegetables ahead for quick prep or to take to work. The "steamer" bags at the store are too big for me to eat at lunch and the few that are single serving seem to have butter or cheese or other additions. My stomach has a difficult time with raw vegetables (IBS). I don't mind taking the risk at home but don't want to at work, if you know what I mean, so I need them to be cooked. I can almost never tolerate lettuce, so salads are out.

Is there a way to prepare my own vegetables and freeze them or otherwise store them for quick reheating?

Is there a way to make "zoodles" (spiral cut veggies or squash for use as noodles) ahead of time and store them?

Are there any commercially available solutions (a certain brand, a vacuum packing system, etc.) that might help? Any systems you've developed to make prep more efficient?

I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide. There are very few vegetables that I don't like except for green beans (which I know isn't actually a vegetable, but people tend to categorize it that way),so tips for any veggies are welcome. I just don't take the time to integrate them into my meals so I'm trying to find a way to make it easier.

Replies

• TylerNorris57
    TylerNorris57 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you could buy some small freezer bags and make then into steam bags? Or make salads and throw in a source of protein in them
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    No creative-veg experience here. But, I have made a steamer bag, and saved half for the next day. It was still pretty tasty. :)

You made me Google whether green beans are vegetables, lol.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like to grill veggies. You can put a bunch on the grill at once then store in the frig for later. They are great cold, room temp, or re-heated. I enjoy onion bell peppers any color, zucchini, squash, eggplant, asparagus. I feel like I am leaving one out. They also make a great sandwich with or without cheese and tomato. Mushrooms! I almost forgot portabello mushrooms!

Grilled+Vegetables+3.JPG

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/02/grilled-vegetables.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/portobello-fajitas.html

If you do not have a grill try roasted veggies. I like to steam frozen veggies in the microwave. Use can buy a big bag and put them in containers to take to work. I am into Asian flavors on veggies right now. I like soy sauce, honey and toasted sesame oil. Try it on broccoli and spinach delicious!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Buy the steam bags of frozen veggies. Steam them. Open them. Put half in your lunch container, put the other half in the fridge for later... Done.
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    About your salad issue, can you eat other greens like spinach or water cress? How about cucumbers? Maybe you can work around this. I also boil sweet potatoes like once a week, dry'em on a paper towel and stick'em in tupperware for the week and just add it to whatever I'm eating or just as a snack. I also do this with things like edamame.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I haven't really tried spinach on its own, but I suspect the effect will be similar. I tolerate cucumbers fine. I love sweet potatoes and have taken them whole to work and microwaved them, but I didn't even consider boiling them ahead of time but that's a great idea.

Those grilled veggies look amazing.

Is there a way to make your own steamer bags? I am heading to the farmers market to pick some fresh veggies but I'll also pick up some bags of frozen to eat throughout the week.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    just get one of those rice cookers with the steamer basket

or a steamer basket that you fit inside a regular stovepot (or a pot that comes with one)

or an actual steamer (although I would just go with the rice cooker)

all of these options can be bought for around $30
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We have a rice cooker, but I would still need to cook ahead. I'd like to be able to steam them at work.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I think there are microwave steamer trays you can get on Amazon, etc.
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Overall I think your best bet is to prep a double amount for supper and save 1/2 to reheat next day. I also will sometimes make large amounts and freeze several days worth in small plastic containers.

Cucumber and tomato salad is a favorite of mine with salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and a spritz of olive oil yummy. Sometimes I add olives and crumbled Feta Cheese.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I don't know why it didn't occur to me that microwave steamers exist. I'll pick one up today.

I think I will experiment with freezing veggies too after they're cooked.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I prep veggies for the week on the weekend, usually Sundays. I grill or roast a variety, refrigerate enough for 3 days, freeze the rest for later in the week. Bring it all to work with me and heat up (or not, I like some roasted veggies cold) for lunch everyday.